I know there are heaps of threads already on this issue but i have tried every single one of them and still cannot get this tablet to connect to the PC.

The main things i have done is:

- Format Tablet
    - Re install Link, Desktop Manager (6 times)
    - Turned off firewall
    - I did that network adapter issue where you click Microsoft Client Services
    - Roll Back Drivers
    - Update Drivers
    - Turn off Bluetooth and Wireless
    - Changed USB Cables
    - Set to connect to Windows PC and Sharing is On (Also tried Mac and Automatic)

I think the only thing left to do is to throw it out.

If i have missed anything, please do let me know ?
    07-31-13 06:18 AM
    You've certainly done a lot, but I always start with the basic stuff when I'm troubleshooting an issue:

When you plug the USB into the tablet, does it try to charge? If not, then there may be a larger problem with the USB port on the device.

Do other mass storage USB devices work on the same computer(s)? Are any of them BlackBerry devices? Again, just trying to see which end of the cable might be causing the problem.
    Are File Sharing and Wi-Fi Sharing both enabled (Settings/Storage & Sharing)? For USB file transfers, the former has to be turned on while the latter will allow you to use the PlayBook as a Samba device and transfer files via SMB/CIFS.

Can you connect via wireless, or have the tablet recognised by your computer as part of your network? SMB transfer may be your only hope, but it also plays to the tablets overall performance as to whether it can be seen or not.

If USB is still giving you grief, try connecting to it via wireless. To try and avoid problems there, under Storage & Sharing, there's an option for Network Identification. Be sure to give the device the same Windows Workgroup name as your computer(s), or if you're on a domain give the workgroup the same name as the domain but without the top level (.com, .net, .local, etc). With that setup, Windows 7 should be able to see the tablet as part of your network and you should also be able to map it as a network drive either by its name (PLAYBOOK-last part of PIN), or by its IP and transfer files that way. It's slower than USB for the most part (the tablet is the only wireless N device on my network) but it should work. In fact, unless I'm moving a large video file I mainly use wireless transfer to move files to my PlayBook. It's even set as a scan to folder destination on my office copier!

I hope this helps, it has to be frustrating.
    07-31-13 06:39 AM
    Thanks for your reply.

The USB doesn't charge when plugged in, however, RIM told me that it shouldn't be charging as the USB doesn't carry enough power to charge the tablet.

Yer my USB ports and cables work because i have tried them with the Z10 and 9800 torch.

I wanted to transfer the kindle app onto the tablet hence why i need to connect it for development mode.

I contacted RIM and they are organising an RA. I am sure it isn't faulty but i have tried everything i can to get it working. It is very frustrating.
    07-31-13 06:49 AM
    Just for more background - what version of Windows?

And do you know anyone with the pb - that is try another person's computer setup. You can sideload using wifi rather than usb.

Usually, even if the pb won't charge from a computer, you get a message something like "the source does not provide enough power." But, does the usb charger work in in the usb port of the pb?

RMA might be best if nothing else works.
    07-31-13 08:57 AM
    Just for more background - what version of Windows?

And do you know anyone with the pb - that is try another person's computer setup. You can sideload using wifi rather than usb.

Usually, even if the pb won't charge from a computer, you get a message something like "the source does not provide enough power." But, does the usb charger work in in the usb port of the pb?

RMA might be best if nothing else works.
    I'm using windows 7 64bit.

Unfortunately i don't know anyone else with a pb cause that would of been a good idea.

I think RMA is the only option now....
    07-31-13 04:51 PM
    I'm using windows 7 64bit.

Unfortunately i don't know anyone else with a pb cause that would of been a good idea.

I think RMA is the only option now....
    Doesn't the pb show up as an additional drive on you pc? Is your file sharing set to on in storage and sharing settings on your pb?
    07-31-13 05:06 PM

I wanted to transfer the kindle app onto the tablet hence why i need to connect it for development mode.
    You don't need to be connected by USB to sideload apps. This is true if you use either DDPB or the Chrome PB App Manager to sideload
    07-31-13 05:48 PM
    Win 7 64 bit should be ok. And the PB DOES charge on pc usb, you get a warning, but it will. Takes about 4 hrs. to get a 10/15 percent charge increase.

Are you using the "Data" cable that came with the PB? Some usb cables are "charging only" type. The one that came with the PB is a Data cable, meant for "high" speed data transfers.

I had this issue with a cable (I just grabbed a cable to do a file transfer) and I saw what you are describing. Switched (meant found) the oem data cable and bada bing, bada boom, all was happy in PB land.

Also, make sure you don't have Windows lockdown on firewall settings. This can cause a connectivity issue as well.

C
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 12:12 PM