I've got some Moon rocks for sale.
    One, Two, the Feds are coming for you...
    01-30-13 07:09 AM
    everybody thinks since we have bb10 for the phones you can slap it on the playbook. its doesnt work as easy as it would seem. you are dealing with a different screen resolution too. apps wont always just transfer right over either. There is a great deal of work that needs to be done to work the way it should.
    If multiple form factor devices were foreseen from the start (as it should), and if BB10 is an evolution of PB OS 2.0, porting BB10 to the Playbook should not be a totally separate effort. There a number of universal apps on iOS which have specific UIs on the iPhone and iPad. Sure both types of UI have to be foreseen, but it does not need to be a separate software resulting from a long porting effort.
    01-30-13 07:10 AM
    I feel my Plabook is happy today to receive the BB10, maybe it has the 6th sense? looooool
    01-30-13 07:12 AM
    If multiple form factor devices were foreseen from the start (as it should), and if BB10 is an evolution of PB OS 2.0, porting BB10 to the Playbook should not be a totally separate effort. There a number of universal apps on iOS which have specific UIs on the iPhone and iPad. Sure both types of UI have to be foreseen, but it does not need to be a separate software resulting from a long porting effort.
    no its not "seperate" but there are differences. The phone UI is set for portrait and for the PB it would need to be landscape and such. You also have to have somewhat of an upgrade path from OS 2.1 to bb10.
    01-30-13 07:51 AM
    Isn't the current Playbook OS pretty close to BB10 already? If so, the phone BB10 OS code could be based on the PlayBook OS one and a tablet version should not require much additional work, if multiple form factor devices were foreseen from the start.

I'm still wondering how much work is required to port PB apps to BB10, and whether I'll loose all my paid-for apps when updating my Playbook.

It's likely small compared to the overall development of BlackBerry 10, but it's still work.

- Less RAM
    - Landscape oriented
    - Larger screen
    - Lower resolution
    - Migration of data from current AIR apps

The bulk will be in UI design/implementation and migration
    howarmat likes this.
    01-30-13 07:56 AM
    Blah blah blah we will see just how much of a task it is.

I think its more to do with timing then task.

No PLAYBOOK update today but before March for a dev beta is what I'm hearing.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 08:03 AM
    Canada gets BB10 phones next week (Feb 5) and the US market gets them in March.
    01-30-13 10:23 AM
    Blah blah blah we will see just how much of a task it is.

I think its more to do with timing then task.

No PLAYBOOK update today but before March for a dev beta is what I'm hearing.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    So this will mean APRIL. MAY, JUNE, JULY maybe for PB release
    01-30-13 10:42 AM
    no its not "seperate" but there are differences. The phone UI is set for portrait and for the PB it would need to be landscape and such. You also have to have somewhat of an upgrade path from OS 2.1 to bb10.
    Considering that some of the BB10 phone apps are portrait only (such as calender and map apps), the timeline for RIM is to make those BB10 apps to be available to landscape mode first --- then and only then can they talk about bringing the OS to the Playbook.
    01-30-13 01:02 PM
    Every time Thorsten mentions something 'big' he wanted to announce, i thought it would be the bb10 for playbook update lool
    chaosdivine and jeroen_13 like this.
    01-30-13 01:05 PM
    When I read your response it occurred to me I don't think we would complain if it was locked to portrait as the N7 was at launch, and let them figure the rest out over time. Worked for Google apparently
    01-30-13 01:18 PM
    Putting BB10 on the Playbook ASAP would be an excellent strategy...it would pique interest in both the new phones _and_ the Playbook. Why does Thor never consult me in these matters?? Oh well...I guess I'm just waiting along with everyone else...
    01-30-13 01:25 PM
    So what was this "big" thingy that he announced today? Or did he say "it's coming soon..."
    01-30-13 01:31 PM
    For US customers it was announced that two BB10 handsets are coming soon. I found this to be very compelling.
    01-30-13 01:39 PM
    Guys make a stick thread until BB10 update for PB i don't want to see new threads popping-up please...
    01-30-13 01:49 PM
    When I read your response it occurred to me I don't think we would complain if it was locked to portrait as the N7 was at launch, and let them figure the rest out over time. Worked for Google apparently
    it worked for google because it was there from the beginning and the resolution is better. The PB resolution limits the actually uses in portrait. It is funny i never even though of the N7 in which i use my wifes daily, being in portrait for most use
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-30-13 01:52 PM
    I never use my pb in portrait. That's like making it a smaller screen, longer but smaller for viewing unless you're just reading a book.
    01-30-13 01:56 PM
    I myself cannot wait no longer for the BB OS 10 update for my Playbook. Running Skype, Whats App and stuff on Playbook Would be amazing. I hope they release the OS asap for PB.
    01-30-13 10:28 PM
    One can only hope.
    01-31-13 12:12 AM
94 ... 234