Why don't you just go buy a suped up ereader tablet wanna be locked to Amazon with it's wonderful silk browser and be happy. Fire will be fine for people who are all ready tied to Amazon or want to be or maybe even rooting it. It still lacks a lot of what I would want.

The new nook might be better as far as specs if you're going to root and put someone elses rom on it. It may work fine but a friend of mine just got a nook color (not the newest) and I can't stand the UI on the thing and the way it works for doing anything but that is just my opinion.
    I agree and would still prefer my PB. However, for most consumers, at the same price point they are going to buy the Fire and not the PB on Black Friday and for the holiday season. Just frustrating that RIM considers this an "update" when it really doesn't do much for the average person and actually nothing to attract new purchasers. I won't bore anyone with a rehash of all the old arguments, but a PB with an actual update and a few new features for the holiday season would have been a big help.
    11-16-11 08:16 AM
    I support rim just because it isn't American.
    Really? It's great you want to support a business from what I assume is your home country. But you do so simply because of where it's from, not for what it does or the products or services it offers? Xenophobia - look it up.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-16-11 08:19 AM
    I agree and would still prefer my PB. However, for most consumers, at the same price point they are going to buy the Fire and not the PB on Black Friday and for the holiday season. Just frustrating that RIM considers this an "update" when it really doesn't do much for the average person and actually nothing to attract new purchasers. I won't bore anyone with a rehash of all the old arguments, but a PB with an actual update and a few new features for the holiday season would have been a big help.
    Oh I agree but I thought we were all resigned to the update not coming until Feb anyway so all of that is mute at this point. I'll take amything until then and actually prefer some updates/fixes to what we have now until then even if they only seem minor. Something that sounds like oh big deal just might make something work better.
    11-16-11 08:28 AM
    Hello John,
    I would like to ask about BB Movies. I don't think it has anything to do with the android player so any chance we get that before February?
    G7

P.S. thanks for the updates.
    11-16-11 08:36 AM
    Wow..amazing!!! This would be the best news ever for the playbook if this is true.
    So many updates coming all at once and all these fixes in less than eight months after release.This just blows out my mind.
    Great job RIM, very impressed at how fast the programmers at RIM are implementing these changes. Plus I bet the browser will be become faster as it does with every single update.
    That super advanced QNX microkernel architecture is really accelerating development, isn't it? Why those six enhancements would have taken ages to develop on iOS or Android.
    11-16-11 08:37 AM
    Can't wait for the 2.0 upgrade !!!
    11-16-11 09:48 AM
    Hey Nofixpath why are you so anti American ?
    11-16-11 09:54 AM
    Guys come on. Americans say "support American" or "buy American" all the time. Im an American, btw.
    11-16-11 09:57 AM
    now that DST is over, i am glad that they could get that resolved. smh
    well you know they were really trying to get that fixed for the devcon update but their programming skills just couldnt crack the nut on how to do it this time....
    11-16-11 10:05 AM
    Is there anything American to buy anymore? Everything I see says made in China on it. Nice to know they use or have used lead paint on childrens toys etc.

These days of globalization there isn't anything you buy that isn't partially made, assembled etc. in another country. No matter where the head quarters are located.
    11-16-11 10:08 AM
    I'm not saying that they couldn't have added more stuff to the update (*cough*spell*cough*check*cough*). I wish there was more, but slow and steady is as good a strategy as any other, specially when the company's future depends on the platform being developed.
    The only problem with your supposition is that by the time RIM does release a good update, their wont be anyone left around who still cares.
    11-16-11 10:09 AM
    This thread is cry baby central. lmao!

As for accessing browser tabs, no need to go to all that work of dragging down from the bezel. Just touch the tabs button, et voila, your tabs are displayed for you in all their glory.

Loving my peerless Blackberry Playbook.
    11-16-11 10:10 AM
    any update is nice but not needed imo, im 100% satisfied with my playbook the way it ia, i bought mine for what it does, and eventually will do, but i wont hold my breath, i mean i did that when i bought my first iphone and could not send/receive mms...........so i have learned to have patience
    It appears this was written using the PB...
    FF22, TBone4eva and BSFA2008 like this.
    11-16-11 10:12 AM
    The only problem with your supposition is that by the time RIM does release a good update, their wont be anyone left around who still cares.
    Is this really the best you can do? Next time save yourself the trouble and don't waste your time writing such a weak reply...

70 million users worldwide. Yep, plenty of people to care by the time BBX reaches maturity.

And to all the others: An update can be ANYHING from a chage of color to a complete OS overhull. Not all updates HAVE to be MAJOR updates.
    11-16-11 10:41 AM
    How do you come to that conclusion? Looks like it could have been written on a lap top.
    11-16-11 10:49 AM
    Mine were. ^^
    11-16-11 10:53 AM
    Clearly RIM has made the decision that it makes far more sense to just develop BBX instead of the Playbook OS and BBX separately. They're well aware of how little Playbook owners there are, so they'd rather upset a few people than have to work on two projects in parallel. To Playbook owners, investors, and the general public it seems jaw-droppingly pathetic (which it is considering how long its been), but in the long term RIM needs to focus its software team in order to get BBX to market before the company is bought-out or bankrupt.
    diegonei and howarmat like this.
    11-16-11 11:05 AM
    This centralized updating structure sucks. At least with the phones we can get leaks and hybrids to tide us over until the official OS is released. Now we are at the mercy of RIM and have to wait.
    11-16-11 11:28 AM
    Just a thought - are there any countries due to go in/out of daylight savings between now and Feb (OS 2)?
    11-16-11 11:37 AM
    Just a thought - are there any countries due to go in/out of daylight savings between now and Feb (OS 2)?
    Brasil - Oct-Feb.
    11-16-11 11:42 AM
    Clearly RIM has made the decision that it makes far more sense to just develop BBX instead of the Playbook OS and BBX separately. They're well aware of how little Playbook owners there are, so they'd rather upset a few people than have to work on two projects in parallel. To Playbook owners, investors, and the general public it seems jaw-droppingly pathetic (which it is considering how long its been), but in the long term RIM needs to focus its software team in order to get BBX to market before the company is bought-out or bankrupt.
    The PB OS is "BBX". Seems that there are quite a few people who are less than well informed when it comes to what the QNX OS actually is. "BBX" is merely a rebranding to take place after an update scheduled for 2/12.
    11-16-11 12:04 PM
    Only some folks should find this "announcement" upsetting.

Folks who own a Playbook and a Blackberry should not complain. They have all the functions of any other tablet on the market. After all, the current version Playbook is a companion device for a RIM handset and should never be viewed as anything else.

For those brave souls who bought the device as a standalone device, you have every right to be disappointed. I say this because RIM made clear commitments to add functions to the device until it was equal to what the rest of the market was offering. In other words, buy it now and trust us. RIM clearly betrayed that trust.

I recently watched a youtube video from last June's Blackberry World's demo of the native email and calendar. Where did all this go so wrong ? Clearly someone messed up pretty good......

All that said, the Playbook remains the only tablet a current Blackberry owner should ever consider. With the recent price reductions, anyone who buys an iPad (or other tablet) and owns a Blackberry is clearly missing a few bricks.....
    Last edited by EchoTango; 11-16-11 at 12:13 PM.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    11-16-11 12:08 PM
    I recently watched a youtube video from last June's Blackberry World's demo of the native email and calendar. Where did all this go so wrong ? Clearly someone messed up pretty good......
    The Java VM went wrong. Email and PIM were shown on the Java VM and it has been scrapped. More than likely why it took much longer than their estimated time frame.
    11-16-11 12:19 PM
    The PB OS is "BBX". Seems that there are quite a few people who are less than well informed when it comes to what the QNX OS actually is. "BBX" is merely a rebranding to take place after an update scheduled for 2/12.
    Everything I've seen states that the update that is coming out in February will be branded Playbook OS 2.0 (what we have now is branded TabletOS). IMO BBX rebranding will occur sometime after that and probably not till the phones are released.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-16-11 12:32 PM
    Everything I've seen states that the update that is coming out in February will be branded Playbook OS 2.0 (what we have now is branded TabletOS). IMO BBX rebranding will occur sometime after that and probably not till the phones are released.
    I think it was DevCon when they made the switch from QNX to BBX.
    11-16-11 12:45 PM
166 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD