John, the Project Manager for Playbook just posted this on the beta forum:

"Tablet OS Update Coming...
    Nov 15, 2011 04:03pm
    Howdy folks!

I just wanted to let you know that we're working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won't have any new features (we're still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.

Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):

- Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
    - Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
    - BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
    - Improvements to VPN connection reliability
    - Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook

You'll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!

I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!

John
    "
    11-15-11 03:42 PM
    So glad to know of a DST fix!!!
    11-15-11 03:51 PM
    ... when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts.
    My thoughts are: It comes when it comes and it will work as promised when it work as promised.

In the mean time I'm enjoying the **** out of my PB with the current official and latest OS .
    11-15-11 03:56 PM
    John, the Project Manager for Playbook just posted this on the beta forum:

"Tablet OS Update Coming...
    Nov 15, 2011 04:03pm
    Howdy folks!

I just wanted to let you know that we're working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won't have any new features (we're still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.

Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):

- Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
    - Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
    - BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
    - Improvements to VPN connection reliability
    - Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook

You'll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!

I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!

John
    "
    Thank you, John!
    11-15-11 04:08 PM
    what a breakthrough! amazing discovery! unbelievable functionality on your updates! thanks rim! we can wait for few more years, let a lone just weeks!
    trickykid likes this.
    11-15-11 04:24 PM
    John,

here's a thought. You guys are so full of crap it isn't funny! I bought your PB and expected a LOT more than what you delivered. Now you roll crap out with no Plan and then tell me it'll be February before I get any decent functionality? WTF???
    FF22, howarmat, ericlc2 and 3 others like this.
    11-15-11 04:38 PM
    LOL how embarrassing, if you were a RIM Playbook developer would you put it on your resume?
    11-15-11 04:43 PM
    Heck I don't care if it helps bridge work better for browsing.
    11-15-11 04:47 PM
    Time Zones added. Awesome. Congrats guys. FacePalm.
    ericlc2, BSFA2008, Rello and 1 others like this.
    11-15-11 04:49 PM
    I'm hoping the bluetooth update allows for some stereo BT so I can connect to my home audio system.

Also, why is everyone is such a bad mood. My PlayBook works great. Do I want more, yes. But it is a great device that does a lot.
    11-15-11 04:50 PM
    I support rim just because it isn't American... I will take all the ups and downs as long as I am supporting a Canadian company. Personally, I feel the vultures jumped on rim in a way that just disgusts me. Nobody is perfect. My playbook does exactly what I want it to do anyway... so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Grow up you whining tech nerds. If you expect perfection take a minute and look in the mirror. You are not perfect and neither is rim. Sit back relax and hope for the best is all we can do.
    11-15-11 04:54 PM
    Well some update is better than nothing till February. 2.0 better be the greatest thing since sliced bread through. RIM's been given enough rope to hang every employee working for them.
    11-15-11 04:56 PM
    Sorry, just thought the thread title made it sound more exciting than the update actually is. lol. Was kidding.
    Pete6#WP likes this.
    11-15-11 04:59 PM
    All I can come up with is, I'll believe it when I see it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 05:11 PM
    He also had this to say about new features being brought to 1.0.7 : "No, no chance, we're done with 1.0.7. There may be a public incremental release before 2.0 (and a refresh to the 2.0 dev beta) - I'll bring details back to the community when I have them!"
    gambler_mf and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-15-11 05:19 PM
    "soon" now thats putting your a** on the line.
    11-15-11 05:31 PM
    Better well tested and merely "soon", than tomorrow-and-flaky.

Really, the way some of you guys talk, they're really damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Anyway, if it fixes backup for those tablets where that's failed, I think those with that particular issue will be happy with it even if that's the only thing it does for them. Likewise for those with VPN issues, etc...

Also keep in mind that if they try to get major features out in these updates, it will ultimately mean a higher chance that the final 2.0 release will slip, and nobody wants that. I'd love to see updates with new features before February, but not if it means waiting till March or April for 2.0.
    stevepar and bquinney like this.
    11-15-11 06:04 PM
    i have no internet at home... only my trusty bridge
    11-15-11 06:08 PM
    Oy. So this pretty much confirms that no added features until 2.0. Couple that with the rumours that bbx won't be ready until the second half of 2012... native e-mail and spell check next September maybe?
    11-15-11 06:08 PM
    Heck I don't care if it helps bridge work better for browsing.
    I think you and I need newer phones for better Bridge. But I'm not ready to jump off that bridge just yet!
    11-15-11 06:11 PM
    I'm hoping the bluetooth update allows for some stereo BT so I can connect to my home audio system.

Also, why is everyone is such a bad mood. My PlayBook works great. Do I want more, yes. But it is a great device that does a lot.
    Actually, I've noticed that my mood is now even less sympathic to this pathetic device, or, at least, toward Rim. Maybe a result of losing more daylight or just that it is still irritating to be composing a reply to an email and failing miserably YET AGAIN with typos that are a pain to fix!

I sent out two email from my bb phone while cross-country skiing today. Both were fine - easier to type even with cold fingers and it suggested spelling fixes to my typos. Damn pb does not do that. (but speaking of cold fingers, I noticed Costco had some gloves the other day that supposedly work with touchscreens)
    Last edited by F2; 11-15-11 at 08:46 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-15-11 06:16 PM
    Really, the way some of you guys talk, they're really damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    Well, they really have not been damned if they DO since they have not DO-ed!!!

But it might be nice if they gave us a chance to damn them if they DO!
    11-15-11 06:22 PM
    Well, they really have not been damned if they DO since they have not DO-ed!!!

But it might be nice if they gave us a chance to damn them if they DO!
    Ha ha, thats one I won't forget for a while.
    11-15-11 06:43 PM
    I think you and I need newer phones for better Bridge. But I'm not ready to jump off that bridge just yet!
    Might be right about that one. I'm happy if it just fixes my browsing while using bridge. At least that can get better while waiting for the big one.
    11-15-11 06:49 PM
    I think, the biggest mistake rim made is getting the ndk out so late in the game. I am currently okay with my playbook, however, apps made by the adobe sdk seems sluggish most of the time. From my observation, there are two things affecting performance of adobe apps, one is when it has to deal with a long list of something (a lot of offline contacts==>im+ or a lot of files in a folder ==>file manager, comics), second is when the app has to deal with a lot of animations.

The happiest time I have with my playbook is when I am playing native games, and when browsing using the bridge (works way better but still needs a lot of fixes)

While currently there are several great apps in he app world, I am really hoping that RIM would provide developers with enough support to create and/or port more great apps to the platform.
    11-15-11 06:53 PM
166 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD