Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 166
Like Tree138Likes
  1. jr4941's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    309 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Playbook update coming soon (from blackberry beta forum)

    John, the Project Manager for Playbook just posted this on the beta forum:

    "Tablet OS Update Coming...
    Nov 15, 2011 04:03pm
    Howdy folks!

    I just wanted to let you know that we're working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won't have any new features (we're still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.

    Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):

    - Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
    - Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
    - BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
    - Improvements to VPN connection reliability
    - Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook

    You'll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!

    I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!

    John
    "
  2. diegonei's Avatar
    Retired Mod & Ambassador

    Posts
    16,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,548 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    So glad to know of a DST fix!!!
  3. Daruba's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    766 Posts
    PIN
    Really?
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jr4941 View Post
    ... when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts.
    My thoughts are: It comes when it comes and it will work as promised when it work as promised.

    In the mean time I'm enjoying the **** out of my PB with the current official and latest OS .
  4. bluetroll's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,729 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,772 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jr4941 View Post
    John, the Project Manager for Playbook just posted this on the beta forum:

    "Tablet OS Update Coming...
    Nov 15, 2011 04:03pm
    Howdy folks!

    I just wanted to let you know that we're working on an interim Tablet OS software update to precede the 2.0 release in February. It won't have any new features (we're still perfecting those!), but a good percentage of the content came from this community.

    Here is a list of some of the included changes (should make some of you happy):

    - Daylight Savings Time: updated some time zones
    - Updated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers improving co-existence and connectivity
    - BlackBerry App World account payments reliability improvements
    - Improvements to VPN connection reliability
    - Addressed some scenarios where BlackBerry Desktop Software would not restore applications to the PlayBook

    You'll see this update within a few weeks. I know some of you wanted more in the interim, but the focus is going into making things solid for 2.0. For what impact this community did have on this update, I thank you!

    I can update this thread when it becomes available. In the mean time, feel free to share your thoughts!

    John
    "
    Thank you, John!
  5. sportline's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,420 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    what a breakthrough! amazing discovery! unbelievable functionality on your updates! thanks rim! we can wait for few more years, let a lone just weeks!
    trickykid likes this.
  6. chasvs's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,028 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    John,

    here's a thought. You guys are so full of crap it isn't funny! I bought your PB and expected a LOT more than what you delivered. Now you roll crap out with no Plan and then tell me it'll be February before I get any decent functionality? WTF???
    F2, howarmat, ericlc2 and 3 others like this.
  7. RCCollins's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    983 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    LOL how embarrassing, if you were a RIM Playbook developer would you put it on your resume?
  8. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    95,774 Posts
    Global Posts
    95,935 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Heck I don't care if it helps bridge work better for browsing.
  9. Chrisy's Avatar
    Seeker of the Way

    Posts
    15,127 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Time Zones added. Awesome. Congrats guys. FacePalm.
  10. chi-town311's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I'm hoping the bluetooth update allows for some stereo BT so I can connect to my home audio system.

    Also, why is everyone is such a bad mood. My PlayBook works great. Do I want more, yes. But it is a great device that does a lot.
  11. nofixedpath's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I support rim just because it isn't American... I will take all the ups and downs as long as I am supporting a Canadian company. Personally, I feel the vultures jumped on rim in a way that just disgusts me. Nobody is perfect. My playbook does exactly what I want it to do anyway... so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Grow up you whining tech nerds. If you expect perfection take a minute and look in the mirror. You are not perfect and neither is rim. Sit back relax and hope for the best is all we can do.
  12. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    9,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Well some update is better than nothing till February. 2.0 better be the greatest thing since sliced bread through. RIM's been given enough rope to hang every employee working for them.
  13. Chrisy's Avatar
    Seeker of the Way

    Posts
    15,127 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,807 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Sorry, just thought the thread title made it sound more exciting than the update actually is. lol. Was kidding.
    Pete6#WP likes this.
  14. Chrysalis1156's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,262 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,310 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    All I can come up with is, I'll believe it when I see it...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  15. Blacklac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,550 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,636 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    He also had this to say about new features being brought to 1.0.7 : "No, no chance, we're done with 1.0.7. There may be a public incremental release before 2.0 (and a refresh to the 2.0 dev beta) - I'll bring details back to the community when I have them!"
    gambler_mf and Superfly_FR like this.
  16. npunk42's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,006 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    "soon" now thats putting your a** on the line.
  17. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,215 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Better well tested and merely "soon", than tomorrow-and-flaky.

    Really, the way some of you guys talk, they're really damned if they do, damned if they don't.

    Anyway, if it fixes backup for those tablets where that's failed, I think those with that particular issue will be happy with it even if that's the only thing it does for them. Likewise for those with VPN issues, etc...

    Also keep in mind that if they try to get major features out in these updates, it will ultimately mean a higher chance that the final 2.0 release will slip, and nobody wants that. I'd love to see updates with new features before February, but not if it means waiting till March or April for 2.0.
    stevepar and bquinney like this.
  18. mikelcal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Global Posts
    496 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    i have no internet at home... only my trusty bridge
  19. wayoung's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Oy. So this pretty much confirms that no added features until 2.0. Couple that with the rumours that bbx won't be ready until the second half of 2012... native e-mail and spell check next September maybe?
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Heck I don't care if it helps bridge work better for browsing.
    I think you and I need newer phones for better Bridge. But I'm not ready to jump off that bridge just yet!
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chi-town311 View Post
    I'm hoping the bluetooth update allows for some stereo BT so I can connect to my home audio system.

    Also, why is everyone is such a bad mood. My PlayBook works great. Do I want more, yes. But it is a great device that does a lot.
    Actually, I've noticed that my mood is now even less sympathic to this pathetic device, or, at least, toward Rim. Maybe a result of losing more daylight or just that it is still irritating to be composing a reply to an email and failing miserably YET AGAIN with typos that are a pain to fix!

    I sent out two email from my bb phone while cross-country skiing today. Both were fine - easier to type even with cold fingers and it suggested spelling fixes to my typos. Damn pb does not do that. (but speaking of cold fingers, I noticed Costco had some gloves the other day that supposedly work with touchscreens)
    Last edited by F2; 11-15-11 at 08:46 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Really, the way some of you guys talk, they're really damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    Well, they really have not been damned if they DO since they have not DO-ed!!!

    But it might be nice if they gave us a chance to damn them if they DO!
  23. bpdude's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Well, they really have not been damned if they DO since they have not DO-ed!!!

    But it might be nice if they gave us a chance to damn them if they DO!
    Ha ha, thats one I won't forget for a while.
  24. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    95,774 Posts
    Global Posts
    95,935 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I think you and I need newer phones for better Bridge. But I'm not ready to jump off that bridge just yet!
    Might be right about that one. I'm happy if it just fixes my browsing while using bridge. At least that can get better while waiting for the big one.
  25. marksasongko's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I think, the biggest mistake rim made is getting the ndk out so late in the game. I am currently okay with my playbook, however, apps made by the adobe sdk seems sluggish most of the time. From my observation, there are two things affecting performance of adobe apps, one is when it has to deal with a long list of something (a lot of offline contacts==>im+ or a lot of files in a folder ==>file manager, comics), second is when the app has to deal with a lot of animations.

    The happiest time I have with my playbook is when I am playing native games, and when browsing using the bridge (works way better but still needs a lot of fixes)

    While currently there are several great apps in he app world, I am really hoping that RIM would provide developers with enough support to create and/or port more great apps to the platform.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions