Ok so I need a new laptop. But then I realized BlackBerry Playbook got a mini keyboard which seems to turn it into a laptop. I also am a Crackberry addict and I have my Bold 9900. Putting 1 + 1 together makes me think I should get it for university! To write notes and such. Do you guys think it would be a good idea?
    08-29-12 09:22 PM
    I have the mini keyboard and while it is really well made, I find too small to type on, I make so many errors it drives me nuts. I am told that I will get used to it though. I really like my playbook though, I think it would make a great companion to your 9900. Especially when you consider the price and that it will be getting BB10.
    08-29-12 09:49 PM
    Ok so I need a new laptop. But then I realized BlackBerry Playbook got a mini keyboard which seems to turn it into a laptop. I also am a Crackberry addict and I have my Bold 9900. Putting 1 + 1 together makes me think I should get it for university! To write notes and such. Do you guys think it would be a good idea?
    As far as writing notes/browsing/videos/music/games (limited) is concerned, you'd be fine with the PlayBook and mini-keyboard. But it surely can't replace a laptop for the options a laptop provides you like all the instant messaging clients, an operating system that you're used to, ability to run all the software applications you need or will need, bigger screen for hours of reading (although it's not impossible on pb).
    At the end, I'd recommend to make the buying decision not just thinking about what you need now but also in the next few months (like projects requiring creation of long documents).

I answered all of the above because i use my PlayBook as a device for content consumption. For creating the content, i still rely on my laptop/desktop. But everyone is different.
    08-29-12 09:53 PM
    I enjoy using the PlayBook and I'm sure you would as well...but...what you need for school is a laptop.
    08-29-12 10:15 PM
    To be completely honest. You will be gung- about bringing what ever device you choose to class for maybe the first 2 weeks then you will realize it is a pain to lug around every where, find an outlet while it's dying or just a general distraction during lectures. Use a pen and paper in class, the info will sink in more.

While the PB is a great e-reader where you could save money on textbooks by buying electronic versions, you should also be aware that if you ever have an open book assignment/test they probably wont allow you to have any electronic device available.

I'd say overall the PB is great, but for creating documents and other school related stuff the laptop will provide you with a quicker and more efficient work experience.
    08-29-12 10:35 PM
    The daughter of a friend takes her PB with keyboard to classes to take notes. Her laptop stays in her room.

She used the PB alone last year and found it a perfect class companion and feels it will be even better this year.
    soo007 and uncaringbear like this.
    08-29-12 10:58 PM
    You know, I purchased the PlayBook and used this as one of my excuses to do it! I LOVE my PlayBook, but it isn't an ideal primary device for schoolwork. You will NEED a laptop/desktop computer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-29-12 11:16 PM
    I'm waiting for the 10" Playbook with BB10

10=10 Get it?
    08-29-12 11:19 PM
    And sideload app named Repligo let's you add gestures and notes to pdf files (assignments or even textbooks in pdf. Potentially very useful...!
    spike12 likes this.
    08-29-12 11:27 PM
    If size of your device is the issue... grab a netbook or if not a laptop.... as much as the PB is convinent.... you will find issues with apps you may need..> Docs2go is good but not as good as a full featured Office.... also printing can be a pain in some cases.....
    08-29-12 11:32 PM
    I think it's a good idea and you should go for it! You can maybe check with network connectivity on the university campus..

If budgets are not an issue.. You can try going in for the PlayBook 4G.. Someone can help you ship from Canada?
    08-30-12 01:05 AM
    Laptop. There's an excellent one on sale on Canada's NewEgg here:

Newegg.ca - ASUS A53Z-NB61 Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3420M(1.5GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DL DVD+/-RW/CD-RW AMD Radeon HD 6520G

You'll thank yourself when it's crunchtime for essays and you're grinding out a paper on a proper word processor. I speak from experience.

Even if it's just for notes, a laptop is still more practical for sharing or collaboration.
    08-30-12 01:22 AM
    I'd say go for a laptop or a netbook personally. I do Web design in my spare time and it's far easier having a proper keyboard to work with (even if it is slightly smaller than a full one). Plus you don't have to worry about compatibility for the most part, if they use a Web app for lecture notes etc chances are its going to work (not sure what it is these days but the one we used was called blackboard - was quite fussy in terms of browser/plugins etc)

In general I still carry both, the playbook I use if I need to check something quickly or if I'm on a train and want to watch some movies, but if I need to settle down and do some proper typing I reach for the netbook
    08-30-12 01:46 AM
    Also it would depend on your major.. If you're in science or a field that uses a lot of symbols the pb might give you some problems as the pb symbols font is very different than the one used in MS ppt files.. So if you have a lot of symbols you can't open the same file on pc and pb, they will look very different.
    08-30-12 02:19 AM
    Get the Microsoft Surface instead if you can wait. It recognizes digital ink, much better than the crayons/sausages that you need for writing on capacitative touch screens that have no palm rejection.
    08-30-12 03:55 AM
    I've tried various note taking apps on the PB and in the end settled on the following:

- majority of my notes are taken with my Echo smart pen, which I can sync with my laptop and PB via Evernote.
    - I track assignments, projects, and take some lighter notes on my PB via Evernote.

I am a BIG note taker and have found it useful to be able to go back and replay later.

I do use the mini keyboard to take light notes and would recommend it unless you like typing with your thumbs.
    08-30-12 05:59 AM
    I would also advise getting a laptop, tablets have not caought up to latop when it comes to getting work done. If you want to use the pb to watch some youtube or listen to music its just as good as a laptop though.
    08-30-12 06:28 AM
    Buy Splashtop Remote Desktop and you can turn your PB into a laptop XD. If that helps
    08-30-12 06:58 AM
    I use a microsoft large bluetooth keyboard with my playbook. It ls good for content creation and I log it with me as it is also smallish and lightweight but gives the full typing experkence. (Microsoft bluetooth keyboard 6000) I use my blackberry phone via bridge as a mouse and I save my documents in my dropbox folder to be accessible anywhere. I love my playbook for school.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    08-30-12 07:19 AM
    as much as i like my playbook it still isnt a match for even a mid range laptop....no tablet is.
    08-30-12 08:13 AM
    As the majority have said, you won't be able to survive uni with just a tablet. You need a full functioned computer. If you want a tablet as a companion device, sure, grab a playbook for $150.
    08-30-12 08:24 AM
    I tried using the PlayBook for university once and it didn't work out � the main problem was the missing functionality in Adobe Reader. Writing notes in Office2Go is great and works, but when you have pdfs and want to draw something or add notes/comments there, it just doesn't work out, because there is no such software.
    The PlayBook would be perfect for that, but unfortunately Adobe is just not up to it
    08-30-12 08:44 AM
    I use my Playbook during classes for browsing, opening pdf files, taking notes etc. At home I've got a laptop as well but I never bring it to class. The Playbook is just too convenient not to bring with you. As long as it's daily small stuff and not serious paper writing it's okay, and as such a tablet is a worthy companion but certainly no replacement.
    08-30-12 08:54 AM
    If you could take notes with a hand write recognition app, then you'd be sorted. Typing notes, in my experience, isn't as effective. A low cost laptop/desktop + PlayBook should work, but expect to be doing the hardwork/fine tuning on the computer.

EDIT: As I post the reply, the fond memory of cracking a full ROI spreadsheet in my 8520 comes to mind. Of course, I needed a computer afterwards to make it presentable and add the last things Sheets to Go didn't support...
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-30-12 at 10:05 AM.
    08-30-12 09:57 AM
    I do a lot of note taking at work.. my pb is great for that. Don't see how school would be any different.
    08-30-12 10:02 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD