Have to admit it...I recently acquired a mid range Android 4g Tablet! The reason...my provider practically threw it at me as part of my 4g plan. It did however give me a chance to see what all the fuss was about!! Were the cynics right and I should dump my PlayBook for a device that has Instagram and the real Candy Crush Saga...haha!

BE WARNED PlayBook Owners...it's all a lie. The PlayBook is far superior with its Bright screen, Superior OS and best Speakers on any tablet! If you want the Best Tablet under the 200 pound price range you already have it...as for the Apps...well the PlayBook probably can't still be beaten on productivity and Multitasking , if you take the time to add some Sideloads to compliment what's already there...ie Dropbox, Evernote and Kingsoft.

Note: you can pick up a 4g LTE brand new on Ebay UK for only 86 pounds including P&P...a real bargain considering !!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    Last edited by PlayBook UK; 07-23-14 at 07:50 AM.
    07-23-14 07:33 AM
    Still use my playbook.
    Even holding it feels great. Can't really stand other tablets.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 07:47 AM
    I'd have to disagree. I replaced my PB with a thin, lightweight Nexus 7 that has a better screen, runs so much quicker, supports Miracast, Sonos etc for �200. The browser on the PB is so slow it's untrue.

I much prefer the PB OS, and yes the speakers are great but it was never supported by BlackBerry and feels archaic now.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    07-23-14 07:59 AM
    I'd have to disagree. I replaced my PB with a thin, lightweight Nexus 7 that has a better screen, runs so much quicker, supports Miracast, Sonos etc for �200. The browser on the PB is so slow it's untrue.

I much prefer the PB OS, and yes the speakers are great but it was never supported by BlackBerry and feels archaic now.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.0.296
    Your comment about the slow browser made me laugh, remember when the PB was released the browser was faster than the other devices they had (curve, bold, Storm 2)
    07-23-14 08:12 AM
    Note: you can pick up a 4g LTE brand new on Ebay UK for only 86 pounds including P&P...a real bargain considering !!
    Hi PlayBook UK
    I now have my brand new PlayBook 4G LTE from that Ebay UK seller (last time I looked, he'd sold 99 of them). As you say, a real bargain & being used with my �1.20 brand new official leather journal case!
    Of course the '4G' PlayBook is restricted to 3G in the UK because of the frequency differences to Canada & the US.
    Any thoughts on the best/fastest 3G provider for the PlayBook? So far have tried T-Mobile & GiffGaff and speeds vary at times from OK to reminding me of dial-up (in my youth). Wifi speeds are excellent.
    Very best
    Bertie.
    07-23-14 08:16 AM
    Hi PlayBook UK
    I now have my brand new PlayBook 4G LTE from that Ebay UK seller (last time I looked, he'd sold 99 of them). As you say, a real bargain & being used with my �1.20 brand new official leather journal case!
    Of course the '4G' PlayBook is restricted to 3G in the UK because of the frequency differences to Canada & the US.
    Any thoughts on the best/fastest 3G provider for the PlayBook? So far have tried T-Mobile & GiffGaff and speeds vary at times from OK to reminding me of dial-up (in my youth). Wifi speeds are excellent.
    Very best
    Bertie.
    Hi Bertie, I purchased also the 4g from the same seller, glad you're also happy with the product. I agree WIFI speeds are very fast, but I have also found EE very fast & stable for my 3g....so that's the one I recommend. Enjoy, it's a great device!

Regards - Terry

07-23-14 08:56 AM
    I got a similarly priced Android tablet and also an iPad when it was on sale. I still prefer the PlayBook for the reasons you mentioned. Speakers, screen quality, and you can hold it without it slipping out of your hands (iPad).
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    07-23-14 09:26 AM
    To claim the Playbook is still "superior" in this day and age is rather fanboy-ish, I'm afraid. Certain aspects of the device could certainly still favorably compete, but they are far from "superior". And all this talk about the PBOS being "superior" is rather laughable IMHO. You just shouldn't judge a product on what could have been...
    07-23-14 10:07 AM
    I picked up a Samsung Tab 3 8" to use instead of my 64 gb playbook for the apps... I feel like I spent 245 bucks just to play "Infinite Flight". Other than that I prefer mostly everything else with my Playbook.
    07-23-14 11:21 AM
    Personally, I just love the UI. It's so easy. Probably the thing I love most about BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook OS is the gestures.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 10:29 PM
    I have to disagree that the PB is "far superior", however I would definitely agree that owners of the PB should not expect to be blown away by the current crop of tablets.

I have recently purchased 3 Android tablets for family and myself. I have found the interfaces inconsistent across apps (how many ways are there to quit?), and while there are certainly tons of apps, the vast majority seem to be games, often of poorly quality. The number of apps that want access to all kinds of data such as contacts, etc. Is astonishing.

The biggest area the PB lags IMO is the Web browser. Sure I use Origami, and although the interface is excellent, the speed does not compare to firefox on the Android. If that was fixed I could probably go another year before upgrading.
    Last edited by fschmeck; 07-25-14 at 05:32 PM.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    07-24-14 06:22 PM
    The biggest area the PB lags IMO is the Web browser. If that was fixed I could probably go another year before upgrading.
    My Z10 has spoiled me. Consequently I was getting annoyed at the PB's browser speed too, but since turning off Java, I'm pretty darn happy with it's performance.
    awindsr and Old_Mil like this.
    07-25-14 11:16 AM
    Not sure it could ever be said it's superior to anything current and mainstream. I'd say it's about as good as you could ever hope a three and a half year old tablet to be - and appreciate it for that.
    07-25-14 11:39 AM
    As a tablet I prefer the playbook but speedwise. My tegra note is faster but a crappier experience,.as is. My moto g
    Last edited by Dominic Hagan; 07-25-14 at 05:04 PM.
    07-25-14 03:07 PM
    I did use "booster mode" on Origami and though faster, it certainly imposes limits to what I can do. But the Z10 has completely spoiled me too. Put that in a tablet and I'd be thrilled.
    07-25-14 05:36 PM
    I assume the UK tablets won't sell to Canadians? Not saying I want one but the price is cheap.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    07-25-14 05:56 PM
    I assume the UK tablets won't sell to Canadians? Not saying I want one but the price is cheap.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    The UK ebay offer for 85.99 Brand New PlayBook 4g LTE is for Europe. Free P&P to UK...a real bargain!

anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-26-14 07:22 AM
    I don't use my Playbook a great deal now since I got my Z30, but a while back I really enjoyed watching TV on it. It was a really good experience up until about a year ago. Now when I try to watch TV it is constantly buffering. God knows why things changed.

I have to agree with others on this thread though, the screen and speaker quality is outstanding. I would also add (as a BB fan I don't really want to) that my daughters iPad mini seems a far superior all rounder.
    07-27-14 06:25 PM
    I love the UI. Speed it up, give it a hi-def display, and at least Android 4.2 runtime and I'd be happy.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-28-14 12:57 AM
    The UK ebay offer for 85.99 Brand New PlayBook 4g LTE is for Europe. Free P&P to UK...a real bargain!

If you prefer the 64gb wifi model, an Ebay UK seller is offering these (being sold as new unopened boxed) for �65. He had 7 for sale, 6 left now.
    Last edited by Bertie Bear; 07-29-14 at 07:35 AM.
    07-28-14 03:34 PM
    My Z10 has spoiled me. Consequently I was getting annoyed at the PB's browser speed too, but since turning off Java, I'm pretty darn happy with it's performance.
    Have you encountered any Java related issues since turning it off?
    Favorite websites not working fully or whatnot?
    Is it really a noticeable difference in performance?
    Thanks
    07-30-14 10:04 PM
    Hi PlayBook UK
    Very best
    Bertie.
    Hi Bertie,
    I've also just purchased one of these, but confused on the frequencies, did you get a 4g or 3g card to put in it?

Has anyone else got any feedback on this re best or fastest networks that are compatible
    Many thanks for any replies
    Con :-)
    07-31-14 04:57 PM
    Hi Bertie, I purchased also the 4g from the same seller, glad you're also happy with the product. I agree WIFI speeds are very fast, but I have also found EE very fast & stable for my 3g....so that's the one I recommend. Enjoy, it's a great device!

Regards - Terry

Hi Terry,
    I've also just bought one of these, just wondered do you buy a 3g or 4g card for it? The more I looked into frequencies the more confused I became, I look forward to any advice you or others can give....
    I also still think it's a great tablet, I have a 64gb wifi playbook that's full and still works well :-)
    07-31-14 05:03 PM
    Hi Terry,
    I've also just bought one of these, just wondered do you buy a 3g or 4g card for it? The more I looked into frequencies the more confused I became, I look forward to any advice you or others can give....
    I also still think it's a great tablet, I have a 64gb wifi playbook that's full and still works well :-)
    Hi Conan, congratulations on buying a great bargain PlayBook for the price. Don't worry about frequencies, you just need a 4g/3g micro sim and even though the provider says the sim is 4g, it will automatically drop to 3g for the PlayBook. I got mine from EE and it works perfectly (data share plan only cost 5 pound per month for extra sim). In fact it's very fast on 3g with EE for the PlayBook, probably due to the extra processing also in the 1.5 GHz Enjoy your Brand new PlayBook. Try Fast Browser on lightening speed....it really is with this device! Rebooting, general Apps/Sideloads and Gameplay a lot smoother on this version of the PlayBook also! I also have the 64g version and keeping it, still a great device.

Regards
    Terry

08-01-14 02:06 AM
    Hi Conan, congratulations on buying a great bargain PlayBook for the price. Don't worry about frequencies, you just need a 4g/3g micro sim and even though the provider says the sim is 4g, it will automatically drop to 3g for the PlayBook. I got mine from EE and it works perfectly (data share plan only cost 5 pound per month for extra sim). In fact it's very fast on 3g with EE for the PlayBook, probably due to the extra processing also in the 1.5 GHz Enjoy your Brand new PlayBook. Try Fast Browser on lightening speed....it really is with this device! Rebooting, general Apps/Sideloads and Gameplay a lot smoother on this version of the PlayBook also! I also have the 64g version and keeping it, still a great device.

Regards
    Terry

Hi Terry, I also have the wifi 64 gb version almost full :-) I love it, I just wasn't sure if the best way to go with the sim cards, also the best deal, interested in more info on the data share plan? I have a contract with t-mobile as it was best deal and service in my area (somerset) at the time, going to the county town tomorrow so I'll peruse the phone shops and ask questions,any suggestions you have would be welcome :-)
    Thanks
    Conan
    08-01-14 02:59 AM