The Top 10 Most Discussed Gadgets This Christmas

Analysis from meltwater buzz social network monitering platform reveals that PlayBook is the 5th most talked about device this holiday season.

In my opinion, if its generating this much chatter, RIM should permanently reduce the price in the interest of market share, app development, and familiarity with its OS when the new phones hit next year.

I'm just glad to see some positive news for a change.
    vectormoe and CDM76 like this.
    12-13-11 10:37 PM
    I'm not happy at all as the post said
    "there are a few surprises in there, with the BlackBerry PlayBook coming in at number 5 � could it be that people were saying �please don�t get me a BlackBerry PlayBook this Christmas?�
    It's not like what you said up there
    12-13-11 10:47 PM
    The writer, Paul Sawyers is an idi*t if he thinks its funny to use reverse psychology with the media to bash the PB when demand @199 is on the upswing.
    12-13-11 10:55 PM
    I'm not happy at all as the post said
    "there are a few surprises in there, with the BlackBerry PlayBook coming in at number 5 � could it be that people were saying �please don�t get me a BlackBerry PlayBook this Christmas?�
    It's not like what you said up there
    I'm pretty sure that remark was sarcastic. You can't discount huge buzz as being all negative-especially when there was a fire sale. It was more than likely people who actually wanted the PlayBook-the press just can't let positive RIM news slide. The fact is that people want Playbook at a reduced price. Sure they spun it but it's not really bad news.
    12-13-11 10:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure they will go back on sale again, just as soon as RIM replenishes their stock again. I'm sure with this previous sale they moved almost everything they had.
    12-13-11 10:58 PM
    I would pay no heed to that blog, I never even heard of it before.

Oddities in there that raise a red flag for me is the Chromebook. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone wanting one of those over even the cheapest full fledged notebook PC or even a MacBook. The 3DS is logical due to the price drop and it being a popular Nintendo product. Just others to me just don't seem logical. Of the Android tablets, I'd rather have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 over a Moto Xoom...
    12-13-11 10:59 PM
    i am guessing this is UK based?
    12-13-11 11:03 PM
    i am guessing this is UK based?
    I think it is. But the platform was monitoring social network sites, I assume that means not just UK users.
    12-13-11 11:18 PM
    the reason i ask is that the LG Star was rebranded to the optimus 2x and released back in Feb/March and was mostly UK based. They also have a UK based media device. Just makes me wonder if its another ploy to promote apple over actual data collected and such
    12-13-11 11:28 PM
    The Playbook did generate a lot of buzz during the firesale. If RIM wants to lose $100/unit selling the PB again at $199, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes again. But, the price of tablets in general is probably shifting lower. That is not good for RIM and the other makers who have nothing to leverage in adjusting the price of their tablets.
    12-14-11 12:05 AM
    The Playbook did generate a lot of buzz during the firesale. If RIM wants to lose $100/unit selling the PB again at $199, I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes again. But, the price of tablets in general is probably shifting lower. That is not good for RIM and the other makers who have nothing to leverage in adjusting the price of their tablets.
    I think $299 would be a fair price for the base model. $499 US is waaaay too much, even for an ipad. I think RIM would do well at $299, $399, and $499 respectively. Anymore and they will stay put at the bottom of the barrel.
    12-14-11 12:24 AM
    I actually don't think it is a gadget. For me it has become a tool.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-14-11 01:25 AM
    I think $299 would be a fair price for the base model. $499 US is waaaay too much, even for an ipad. I think RIM would do well at $299, $399, and $499 respectively. Anymore and they will stay put at the bottom of the barrel.
    The question is if RIM can make a profit at the prices you suggest...

If not, perhaps sell the base model at cost but make the higher memory versions just a little more so that you end up with more people going for the higher priced one. For example, the original iPhone started at $600 but another 4 GB was only $100 more. People went for the 8 GB version and the 4 GB version was quickly phased out, making the 8 GB price the standard. The base model could be advertised as a "starting at" price. For a $300 device, a little more is about $50. I'd say $300, $350, and $450.

Personally, I'd rather have a micro or regular SD slot for expandability but there's more money to be made by forcing users to upgrade just for more memory.
    12-14-11 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD