Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robsteve
  • 1 Post By alnamvet68
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook Throbbing Green Light

I've looked around and I can't seem to find anything that fits what's happening directly. Last night I turned off my playbook, it had around 60% battery. I decided not to charge it just because I didn't want to dig up the charger. A minute ago I wanted to use it, so I tried turning it on. The power button did nothing, so I plugged it in in fear and I got the red light and the "Blackberry Playbook" screen, I sighed in relief and realised there was a green throbbing light. I left it like that for ten minutes and nothing happened, then I accidently unplugged it. I plugged it back in only to find that the same light is happening (it throbs green, never stops) and now the screen won't even come on.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening? There couldn't be much worse timing. I don't even have a proper computer right now (just a laptop with a broken screen and no hard drive) due to me not having any money. I don't want to go into my financial situation right now, but I had to outline that just so you know I can't send it off for repairs. I need to know what's wrong. Any ideas? I didn't do anything unusual last night. In fact, I just left it on barely touching it... It's on the OS2 beta if that makes any difference.

Would recovering it via the desktop manager do anything? I mean, I don't have a proper computer, and the laptop I'm using is running Ubuntu from a flash drive, but I could use someone elses if it got to that. I doubt it would though so I'm not going to rush to try that. As of typing this it's still plugged in and the screen is still black. The light is still throbbing though.

EDIT: I might be panicking over nothing actually. I just remembered that occasionally if I turn it off it doesn't turn off fully and the screen stays backlit. I assume this is something to do with the 2.0 beta since it only started when I updated. That might've happened without me noticing last night and as a result the battery drained. But still, that might not be the case, so please still reply
    Last edited by Nagisa; 12-05-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,631 Global Posts

I believe when off the led pulses to show it is charging and when done it stays light. It has been so long since mine has been off I can't remember for sure.

If it won't turn on or load up you can try a hard reboot by pressing and holding all at the same time the power - and + buttons until it restarts.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-05-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: missed a word
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

It is at least true that 2.0 will often not shut off properly and may drain the battery that way.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it came on, but after ten minutes the battery is still at 0%. I unplugged it for a second and it stayed on though. Will it just take a while to charge to 1% this time or is there something seriously wrong?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

It is normal behavior when charging, just verified this on mine. Although, I must admit, I think this is the first time I have ever seen a green light on my Playbook.
    Still have the 64GB Playbook. Still have the 16GB Playbook, bought it, haven't used it other than the initial start up. It is probably completely dead under my computer desk shelves somewhere. My old Blackberry phones are strewn around the house. My Blackberry Storm 2 is a dedicated alarm clock. Current phone is a Galaxy S4, with tablet Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.
    CrackBerry Genius

Just leave it plugged in for awhile(hours). PB turned off flashes green while charging. Sounds like the battery was just drained.
    Thanked by:
    kbz1960 (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    Just leave it plugged in for awhile(hours). PB turned off flashes green while charging. Sounds like the battery was just drained.
    But now it's on and stuck at 0%...
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it came on, but after ten minutes the battery is still at 0%. I unplugged it for a second and it stayed on though. Will it just take a while to charge to 1% this time or is there something seriously wrong?

Thanks.
    Your battery is drained down big time.
    You need to just leave your PB charged for at least 2 hours before you try anything with it (don't mess with it leave it alone).

The green light will keep throbbing until the battery gets fully charged when the light will become stationary.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by anindoc View Post
    Your battery is drained down big time.
    You need to just leave your PB charged for at least 2 hours before you try anything with it (don't mess with it leave it alone).

The green light will keep throbbing until the battery gets fully charged when the light will become stationary.
    You're all misunderstanding me

It turned on after I unplugged it again. Like, fully. It booted into the operating system, I can open the browser etc. But the problem is if I click on the battery icon it always says 0% now. Though, don't worry about it. I'll reply again later if it persists. I'm just going to leave it like that for now and hope for the best.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Here is your answer -
    1. Plug in to power (Not fast charger).
    2. Do three finger cold boot. (On top of PB +, +, and power buttons.
    Hold until red light blinks on and off, or 30 seconds if no blink.
    3. Wait at least a minute or two until you get to sign in.
    4.sign in,then power off.
    5. Wait for full charge (green light).

This always works for me (using version 2.0)
    Good Luck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Cold boot is +,-, power buttons held down fot up to 30 seconds or until red light blinks.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Nagisa View Post
    But now it's on and stuck at 0%...
    Turn it off and let it charge.
    CrackBerry Genius

I don't think anybody has asked yet, but are you using the Playbook charger to do the charging? A phone charger or a usb cable to a pc will not provide enough current to charge a Playbook, especially if the PlayBook is turned on.
    Thanked by:
    bbfan1040 (12-05-2011) 
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It may not be able to charge if battery drained out while on - even if just on standby. That is why cold boot may be needed. I have needed to do this on more than one occasion.
    CrackBerry Master

Using the premium charger. It has a better connection to the PB.

One last thing - use the ac adapter. A usb barely provides sufficient power.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2AA6XXXX

....and one more last thing, it's the 2.0 Beta OS that's wreaking havoc.
    If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier

Support: www.woundedwarriorproject.org

We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.
    Chaddface likes this.