Is there anything out there that gives detail on the Playbook's tethering feature? I ask because the carrier's don't seem to be acknowledging it nor is RIM. Is RIM #1 staying out of it and letting the carriers handle tethering or #2, streamlined tethering with the bridge so carrier's can't tell what's connected via tether?
    03-20-11 09:42 AM
    Is there anything out there that gives detail on the Playbook's tethering feature? I ask because the carrier's don't seem to be acknowledging it nor is RIM. Is RIM #1 staying out of it and letting the carriers handle tethering or #2, streamlined tethering with the bridge so carrier's can't tell what's connected via tether?
    I don't think the carriers would let RIM pull something like that without having agreed to it first. But that sure would make one heck of a selling point.

From everything I've seen, bridging is just to access PIM info on your BB from the PB (email, calendar, BBM, SMS, etc.), but only what's already set up on your BB. I don't know if it's even possible to work tethering into that feature set, although it seems like it should be.

Since the first PB's will be Wi-Fi only, I would think RIM would have to provide some details on tethering -- whether it's #1 or #2 that you noted above, or some combination of both -- whenever they formally announce its release. Consensus seems to be that that will be coming in a few days, probably before RIM's March 24th earnings call.
    03-20-11 09:56 AM
    What we do know if you will be able to bluetooth tether your phone to the Playbook for BBM, Mail, Calendar and Contacts.

What we do not know yet will you be able to tether for use of the Browser or any other app/function. (I have seen mentioned that you would be able to tether your browser but not confirmed)

We also do not know for sure if there will or won't be an extra change by your carrier for these services. (RIM did say in some early statements that their smart phone pairing would not require an extra data contract, but we will have to confirm for example AT&T does not force you into their $45 tethering plan to use the service with phones on their network)
    03-20-11 10:00 AM
    Thanks. I asked because I found out last week from a carrier's Data Manager that they've received nothing from RIM regarding tethering. He was aware of the marketed tethering feature the same way we all became aware of it...here and other forums and blogs. It's just weird that this late in the game there are still unanswered about one of the biggest marketed features of the Playbook.

It would suck to buy one only to find out that you can't tether because your carrier has it blocked or not allowed. Guess the bottom line is that RIM needs to talk to us.
    03-20-11 10:02 AM
    Yeah, so far just tons of speculation. What's attracted my attention is that on the PB website, where it mentions accessing data through a 3G connected Berry, there is no footnote talking about carriers, charges, etc. So... Take it for what it's worth. The only way I see RIM getting around it is to open their own API servers to route the data through. That's $ spent with no "real" return and a tough call to make. But- if they could get it done, it would be one amazing selling point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 10:02 AM
    Thanks guys! Good to know that it's not just me. The tethering feature is/would be HUGE!
    03-20-11 10:08 AM
    I just don't see carriers(US) allowing you to tether for free and I don't see RIM allowing all that data to go through their servers.

An even bigger evil now is some people have said they plan to use an app to tether their PB for free to their blackberry, i'd plan on using my iphone to create a hotspot but I also thought about getting a cellular enabled tablet. Well AT&T has started cracking down on iphone users who tether using MyWi and I'm sure it will expand to all phones.
    03-20-11 01:42 PM
    Using the Bluetooth feature on your Playbook and Verizon BB phone you are able to tether. Here are the simple steps:

1. Call Verizon Customer Service and have Mobile Broadband Connect added to your plan. It is $20/monthly for 2 GB and $20 Per-GB Rate After Allowance

2. Your all set now and ready to tether.

3. Follow the steps for tethering in this RIM DEMO

On the Top of the Navigation Bar/Left side

Your Blackberry Tablet> Connections > Bluetooth

Have Fun!
    04-26-11 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD