Ok, I know... but hear me out...

I own 2 phones, z10 and curve 8530. The curve is overdue for retirement but keeps going.

I run the curve with Simple Mobile ($40) so is super cheap and run my playbook's data on this plan.

I got an Iphone because 90% of my clients have that stupid phone and are always in need of tech support, ( I'm an IT guy). And since I know nothing about the phone I figure I learned from it as well.

That's the reason. I'm not ditching BlackBerry. remember I also have the Z10 with Tmobile and love it. And the Playbook, 2 actually. I had to get one for my wife, oh yeah, she also has the Z10 in white. trust me we love Blackberry and can't wait for the bbm to go cross platform so I can ditch all the wzup,skype,viber,voxer and god knows what other crap is out there.

My question is: Can the playbook tether somehow from the Iphone? It's the Iphone 4s.
    09-04-13 11:50 AM
    Wifi hotspot.
    09-04-13 11:53 AM
    Yes wifi hotspot will connect you to the web through your iPhone!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-04-13 01:45 PM
    You will have to go thru your service provider to make your Iphone a wifi Hotspot

Ok, I know... but hear me out...

I own 2 phones, z10 and curve 8530. The curve is overdue for retirement but keeps going.

I run the curve with Simple Mobile ($40) so is super cheap and run my playbook's data on this plan.

I got an Iphone because 90% of my clients have that stupid phone and are always in need of tech support, ( I'm an IT guy). And since I know nothing about the phone I figure I learned from it as well.

That's the reason. I'm not ditching BlackBerry. remember I also have the Z10 with Tmobile and love it. And the Playbook, 2 actually. I had to get one for my wife, oh yeah, she also has the Z10 in white. trust me we love Blackberry and can't wait for the bbm to go cross platform so I can ditch all the wzup,skype,viber,voxer and god knows what other crap is out there.

My question is: Can the playbook tether somehow from the Iphone? It's the Iphone 4s.
    09-04-13 01:58 PM
    It has nothing to do with the service provider!!!!!!!!!

As I read your post I picked up my son's iPhone, turned on "personal hotspot" in the settings, entered a password and my pb immediately picked it up in the wifi in available networks. I selected it and entered the password I had set up on the iPhone and it connected instantly!

Your service provider has nothing to do with it as long as you have data in your contract.

So the simple answer to the OP is yes you can, very easily!
    09-04-13 02:08 PM

As I read your post I picked up my son's iPhone, turned on "personal hotspot" in the settings, entered a password and my pb immediately picked it up in the wifi in available networks. I selected it and entered the password I had set up on the iPhone and it connected instantly!

Your service provider has nothing to do with it as long as you have data in your contract.

Wrong. You can not do this on AT&T unless you have a Mobile Share Plan. It is carrier specific.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-04-13 02:18 PM
    Wrong. You can not do this on AT&T unless you have a Mobile Share Plan. It is carrier specific.
    But you can do it and the OP did not mention having any service provider problems with his other handsets? Therefore the question appeared to be directed at compatibility between the pb and the iphone tethering capabilities. I'm sorry you can't do it with AT&T but then again I'm with Vodafone and the OP didn't state his air time provider.
    09-04-13 02:28 PM
    But you can do it?
    09-04-13 02:35 PM

It has absolutely everything to do with your service provider... if they do not permit tethering or a personal hotspot then the function will either be disabled or worse, they will let you do it then hit you with a massive bill for the pleasure of having done so.

If your provider permits it you should be able to either set up a hotspot or look at tethering. I was able to tether through my ancient Samsung Corby plus and it worked just fine so conceptually it is possible but it all rests in the carriers hands..
    09-04-13 02:36 PM
    I give up! The obvious answer is then to get a decent air time provider?????? In the first place!
    09-04-13 02:47 PM
    Some of these people would split hairs over what type of baked beans they eat?
    09-04-13 02:48 PM
    No, if you're in the USA the carriers want to charge more for everything.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-04-13 02:51 PM
    No, if you're in the USA the carriers want to charge more for everything.
    I understand that fully but the question was will the pb tether with the iPhone? Answer categorically without doubt YES! Now if the question was will my air time provider allow me to do it? Ah a different thing altogether I think. I don't know about all this air time provider problem because I'm with a decent company and when I'm in the USA I'm roaming and strangely enough I haven't had a problem with any of your providers including AT&T.
    09-04-13 03:01 PM
    In Canada, phone carriers allow tethering for free.... Pending limitations of your data plan. I have an IPhone with Verizon and they charge $10 per month to unlock the tethering / hot spot function. I tether with my BB Playbook all the time.
    09-04-13 05:00 PM
    I understand that fully but the question was will the pb tether with the iPhone? Answer categorically without doubt YES! Now if the question was will my air time provider allow me to do it? Ah a different thing altogether I think. I don't know about all this air time provider problem because I'm with a decent company and when I'm in the USA I'm roaming and strangely enough I haven't had a problem with any of your providers including AT&T.
    Hahahahahahahahahaa... I love you old man......
    09-04-13 06:18 PM
    Hahahahahahahahahaa... I love you old man......
    Well that makes a list of one then?
    09-05-13 03:39 AM
    Wow, you guys are too much sometimes...

Ok, here's the verdict...

Like I said it was for Simple mobile which uses Tmobile system...

So I unlo*** then I read that you had to hold the power button and home button, I think that's what is called to reset the network or something and then the option to "Hotspot will apper" not sure if it was truth because the "hotspot" option was in a different place... so. it gives you the option to tether thru usb, bluetooth or wifi. I tried BT cause I'm not sure if its going to show up on my next bill. Guess what? no dice.. Iphone says PB is not compatible. Who knows why. USB was out of the option cause I leave the PB in the car... so I'm using wifi which works somewhat ok. The curve worked better and faster...

OK. so that is what I did so far. I'll let you know next month if something shows up in the bill. Then again I only use the PB on the road to check my craigslist and send 3 emails, so very little data going thru... I'll let you know...

Thank you all for your responses...

by the way.. The Z10 is far superior than the Iphone...
    09-10-13 12:46 AM