My blackberry playbook is about a week old, it takes roughly 3-5mins to start up when I turn it on, is it meant to take that long??? Thanks
    03-01-12 11:27 AM
    Takes 2:40 from red LED for me and it seems about the same for others. Time it.
    03-01-12 11:29 AM
    Sounds about right yes. 1.0.X seemed to load a bit quicker. Takes roughly 3 minutes to start up nowadays (not timed).
    03-01-12 11:39 AM
    Why are you turning it off?
    bbvj likes this.
    03-01-12 11:49 AM
    Lol, ages = 160 seconds. Try playing with your phone while the PB reboots. The distraction makes it only feel like 90 seconds...
    03-01-12 11:53 AM
    Use Standby rather than turning off. Very little battery use on standby and even less if you use Airplane mode before going to standby (that turns off the radios). Swipe to awake, enter password, flip off Airplane mode all in less than a few seconds, and you are ready to go.

I NEVER turn the PB off, just do Standby when not in use and a Restart maybe once a week to refresh the OS (not sure if it needs it, but just seems to be a good practice.
    03-01-12 12:06 PM
    Use Standby rather than turning off. Very little battery use on standby and even less if you use Airplane mode before going to standby (that turns off the radios). Swipe to awake, enter password, flip off Airplane mode all in less than a few seconds, and you are ready to go.

I NEVER turn the PB off, just do Standby when not in use and a Restart maybe once a week to refresh the OS (not sure if it needs it, but just seems to be a good practice.
    I usually put it in Standby, but I have the redesigned power button, which seems to be bumped easily.
    03-01-12 12:11 PM
    My blackberry playbook is about a week old, it takes roughly 3-5mins to start up when I turn it on, is it meant to take that long??? Thanks
    Those of who bought it at launch had to wait almost a year to get OS 2.0....whats another 5 minutes for launch. :-)
    03-01-12 12:21 PM
    Has anyone tested how fast the battery drains while on standby? I like the idea of having it on all the time, but I fear the battery will be dead anyway in a day or so. Also, has anyone knowledge as to how the battery is going to be replaced in the Playbook when it reaches the end of it's life?
    03-01-12 12:29 PM
    - My car door got difficult to open
    - Then always stay in your car

- My knee hurts when I climb the stairs
    - Then always remain upstairs

- The boot takes too long
    - Never ever use that button

The Start button is NOT is not designed to be used. Remain on standby even if your playbook will be depleted when you need it. Never go to places where an electric plug is not accessible. Always carry your charger.

The police will come to you if you use that button. Your reboots are being registered by RIM through wifi.

You have been warned. Booting is evil. Rebooting is triple evil.
    Last edited by Bakamushi; 03-01-12 at 12:37 PM.
    trucky, Morbium and kennyliu like this.
    03-01-12 12:34 PM
    This is normal.

The Playbook has been designed around not turning it off, but letting it standby for the most part. their expectation is that you'll be using it mostly alongside your mobile phone, so the same charging and usage practices would be consistent.

charging every day or two, using standby for instantaneous response times and wakeup and what not.

it is not recommend you turn your playbook off unless you're not going to use it for extended periods of time. you should be yielding a few days of standby idle power without shutting it down, however your mileage might vary.
    03-01-12 12:44 PM
    Has anyone tested how fast the battery drains while on standby? I like the idea of having it on all the time, but I fear the battery will be dead anyway in a day or so. Also, has anyone knowledge as to how the battery is going to be replaced in the Playbook when it reaches the end of it's life?
    If your not going to use it for days then turning it off would be a good idea. It's hard to give a one size fits all answer to that question. It would depend on the current capacity of your battery and how much power your using in standby.
    If you interested in monitoring battery levels and consumption rates download the Battery Guru app. It will give you an estimate of battery health and how much power your PB using. Using the information from the app you can get a good estimate of how long the battery will last while in standby.
    The battery will probably have to be replaced by RIM or a service center. If you search playbook teardown on you tube you can get a look inside. Not an impossible task, however some may just leave it to the professionals.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-01-12 01:29 PM
    I only turn the Playbook off when I reset it. It's not like I'm not using the standby mode. Only the last couple of days I had to reset it a few times because of the [0003-0005] error.

Fyi, I was reading a book while restarting it but it just seems to be taking a bit longer to load (not that i bother)
    03-01-12 03:26 PM
    I was turning it off at night when I went to bed.
    03-01-12 04:33 PM
    I was turning it off at night when I went to bed.
    I used to turn if off at night but with OS2 i just leave it on. Can't wait 3+ mins for the beast to boot every morning.
    03-01-12 04:50 PM
    I think the longer boot is because it also is loading the android player now.
    03-01-12 05:40 PM
    2:30min dead from pushing the button home screen shooting up.
    03-01-12 05:50 PM
    [speculations, feelings, observations]
    When you turn off/on your PB I believe the system goes into several routines to maintain your device. I mean something like integrity check, temporary files deletion, etc.
    IMHO it depends of the number and nature of the apps you've installed (do they need hardware resources at launch, for example), the time it has been used prior to shutdown, the problems it may have consigned in its maintenance log ...
    Remember QNX is somehow a self-healed system; that's a part of its beauty.

Then, I personally shut it off only once a week, in that purpose. I don't even fire standby, I let it come scheduled.
    03-01-12 06:15 PM
    Does anyone know why it takes the Playbook so long to boot up? I mean technically. I am not bothered with a 3-minute startup, just curious. My Windows laptop boots in under 30 seconds from the moment I press the power button to a usable desktop. That's with a larger desktop OS.
    03-01-12 06:22 PM
    Does anyone know why it takes the Playbook so long to boot up? I mean technically. I am not bothered with a 3-minute startup, just curious. My Windows laptop boots in under 30 seconds from the moment I press the power button to a usable desktop. That's with a larger desktop OS.
    It takes a long time to spin up the 5 inch boot floppy that is inside the pb! I do wonder what is being checked, cycled and loaded.
    mrpink73 and kennyliu like this.
    03-01-12 07:06 PM
    It sucks that you can't turn the android player off at will.
    03-01-12 07:08 PM
    It takes a long time to spin up the 5 inch boot floppy that is inside the pb!
    I can remember at school we had some kind of computer with a tape drive. Looked like a cassette tape and would take about a 1/2 hour to load a simple game. The teacher would let me start it during class so I could play at lunch time. I guess that was around 1980.
    How cool was it to get that enormous disk drive for the commodore 64?
    mrpink73 likes this.
    03-01-12 07:17 PM
    Can anyone tell me if there is any impact to battery health when charging while powered off vs in standby? I always thought it was better for the battery to charge while a device is off.
    03-01-12 08:08 PM
    I used to turn if off at night but with OS2 i just leave it on. Can't wait 3+ mins for the beast to boot every morning.
    I'm just going to leave it on standby now. How about our BB phones, I also turn off my 9650 every night and leave it charging.
    03-01-12 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD