i saw this and thought id share. this guy seems to believe $1500.00usd is a fair price for the playbook. to me this seems crazy. you can buy a top flight laptop for prices like that. he says $1000.00 would be fair. again i think at that price it still misses the mark. my thought is $750.00usd for the first wave. that price would then drop over time and allow for a larger customer base. the next 6 months will see like a dozen high end tablets come to market. lets hope RIM doesn't price this thing out of reach during difficult economic times. what do you guys think? (BlackBerry PlayBook: Hot Hardware, But At What Price? | ZDNet)
    Last edited by dpeagle; 09-28-10 at 10:24 AM.
    09-28-10 10:19 AM
    it will be comparable to whats on the market right now, but might depend on subsidization.
    Last edited by Fubaz; 09-28-10 at 10:57 AM.
    09-28-10 10:23 AM
    iPad's entry price was $500, so you gotta think it will be some where around that. Probably cheaper too with a data plan through whatever telecomm they partner with... (Please be VZW!)
    09-28-10 10:30 AM
    Ok, I guess my $500 price tag dream may be just that. A dream... $750 seems reasonable to attract customers (enterprise and consumers). They could maybe get away with $1000. Be interesting how many flavors of this device they'll release. Like with the iPad, wifi only and another with 3G.
    09-28-10 10:36 AM
    current high end BlackBerrys go for $499 (Torch on AT&T, 9700 on TELUS), So I imagine it being more expensive.

Bit if it's over $1,000 I imagine many will have SSSS (Severe Sticker Shock Syndrome)

I'm averaging it to be about $749, �≤$150.
    Last edited by grahamf; 09-28-10 at 10:51 AM.
    09-28-10 10:43 AM
    Wont cost more than the iPad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 10:45 AM
    I agree it has to compete with the market. $600-650 seems fair.
    09-28-10 10:55 AM
    Wasn't it stated by somebody that RIM planned to release this under pricing the IPad?
    09-28-10 11:19 AM
    it will be comparable to whats on the market right now, but might depend on subsidization.
    What subsidization??? The first wave is carrier agnostic and does not contain a Cellular radio.

What could happen, if so authorized by RIM, is for a Carrier to be able to say something like "Buy a BB and open a new line of service and get a PlayBook for $x". Or something like that.
    09-28-10 11:19 AM
    i saw this and thought id share. this guy seems to believe $1500.00usd is a fair price for the playbook. to me this seems crazy. you can buy a top flight laptop for prices like that. he says $1000.00 would be fair. again i think at that price it still misses the mark. my thought is $750.00usd for the first wave. that price would then drop over time and allow for a larger customer base. the next 6 months will see like a dozen high end tablets come to market. lets hope RIM doesn't price this thing out of reach during difficult economic times. what do you guys think? (BlackBerry PlayBook: Hot Hardware, But At What Price? | ZDNet)
    I believe he got those numbers from a recent RIM Survey we just did
    09-28-10 11:20 AM
    All early talk was that it would be priced under the iPad. It must be comparably priced, at minimum, if it is to succeed in attractive more regular consumers. Also, pricing the Playbook under the iPad might promote consumers to switch to Blackberrys in order to avail themselves to the tethering feature on the Playbook. With the right price, RIM could end up selling a few more phones too.
    09-28-10 11:40 AM
    iPad's entry price was $500, so you gotta think it will be some where around that. Probably cheaper too with a data plan through whatever telecomm they partner with... (Please be VZW!)
    Gotta be VZW I think, ATT has the iPad from Apple and they would be competing with themselves. Could be wrong, but I'm optomistic.
    09-28-10 11:46 AM
    Definitely cheaper than the iPad. I have an iPad, but I would consider getting the PlayBook as well. What is the GB size cap of the PlayBook?
    09-28-10 12:09 PM
    Gotta be VZW I think, ATT has the iPad from Apple and they would be competing with themselves. Could be wrong, but I'm optomistic.
    I completely agree, ATT won't be getting the PlayBook. VZW seems to be a large player with RIM when it comes to partnerships.
    09-28-10 12:13 PM
    Well I hope that Sprint gets it since they have the 3G and 4G. that would be SWEET
    09-28-10 12:17 PM
    Considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab is going for $750 and this Playbook has some serious specs, I'm think it's going to be a close price point or a little more.
    09-28-10 12:30 PM
    Definitely cheaper than the iPad. I have an iPad, but I would consider getting the PlayBook as well. What is the GB size cap of the PlayBook?
    Definitely have a 16gb Playbook and it has been noted that a 32gb was seen by credible members of the Crackberry team.
    09-28-10 12:33 PM
    current high end BlackBerrys go for $499 (Torch on AT&T, 9700 on TELUS), So I imagine it being more expensive.

Bit if it's over $1,000 I imagine many will have SSSS (Severe Sticker Shock Syndrome)

A 16GB iPad is $499, and a 16GB non-subsidized iPhone is $599. They add about $130 for the 3G option to the iPad. There is a price for miniaturization. It will have to sell around this price as much higher is getting into laptop costs, and Apple has shown that $500 to $800 range is bearable by the market.
    09-28-10 12:35 PM
    A 16GB iPad is $499, and a 16GB non-subsidized iPhone is $599. They add about $130 for the 3G option to the iPad. There is a price for miniaturization. It will have to sell around this price as much higher is getting into laptop costs, and Apple has shown that $500 to $800 range is bearable by the market.
    Apple also prices on the high side of the (bearable) market.

If this starts as a WiFi only model (which RIM has indicated) they have to be under the iPad price.

For those talking about subsidizing... WiFI only, doesn't matter a carrier. Do you not make the connection that the iPad isn't tied to AT&T? You get get an iPad at BestBuy or Target here shortly, so don't expect RIM to cripple their sales by only selling through a single cellular provider. Besides RIM provides phones to multiple carriers in the U.S., unlike Apple.
    09-28-10 12:39 PM
    Lazaridis has been quoted as saying it will be priced in the low-end of what is available currently in the market, pointing to a sub-$400 price. It was an article in the Tech section of Canoe.ca. I also think the first versions won't be sold with any carrier in mind, unless it was bundled with an actual handset. Wifi-only with no cellular radio...why would you need an agreement with that or pay for a data plan?

Last edited by acwyau; 09-28-10 at 04:01 PM.
    09-28-10 02:21 PM
    $350 max for 16gb i hope, if they are gonna try for less than iPad price :x
    09-28-10 03:05 PM

I agree with what you're saying about the approx $750 price tag.

The wifi iPad is cheaper than the top iPhone 4 models though so I can't really agree with that argument unless there's something I'm missing. It SHOULD be more expensive though. That's just logical considering the cost of materials, processor, chipset, etc so I think $750 is a good guess.
    09-28-10 04:06 PM
    Haha, you beat me to it. Oh well =D
    09-28-10 04:07 PM
    saw this article on Playbook pricing and thought id share. (BlackBerry PlayBook's Price: How it Plays Out | News & Opinion | PCMag.com)
    09-29-10 10:37 AM
    Just thinking: a Wifi only vs Cell radio version could cost the same. The cell companies want the contract. Also, we know that RIM buys in major bulk. That may help keep the cost of hardware down. While the hardware is probably more expensive than the iPad's currently is, it may be the same cost as the iPad's WAS when it was developed. The cost could feasibly be similar. Also realize that even tho the PB will have higher end specs, the consumer will see a smaller item and automatically think smaller price. So, I'd say that we'll see it priced under the current IPad.

09-29-10 11:03 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD