Yesterday My bluetooth shut off when trying to tether and would not turn on and then WI-FI started going off as well. Waited till i got hom and kept getting green circle when trying to connect to wifi and not finding anything. rebooted many times and same thing. wiped it clean and would let me connect then same Bluetooth and wifi just would die. Try turning on wifi and just sits there. This problem came out of nowhere. Took it into store and tech at Future Shop swapped it for me. I was in and out of store in 5 min. with new one and that one seems ok.

I read somewhere that RIM uses a Texas Instruments chip that does both WIFI and Bluetooth and Radio stuff all on one chip. Sounds like that is the problem. It's not software.
    05-05-11 01:22 PM
    Hard to believe that it is hardware as all of a sudden there are multiple reports about this, kind of like one of the updates maybe caused this.
    05-05-11 01:29 PM
    Texas Instruments Delivers Industry's First Quad-Radio Single Chip
    ► Retweet

TI raises the bar with WiLink™ 7.0 solution, integrating WLAN, GPS, Bluetooth� and FM transmit/receive technologies on a true single-chip

DALLAS, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Demonstrating its leadership in the wireless connectivity market, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today unveiled its WiLink™ 7.0 single-chip solution, the industry's first offering to integrate WLAN 802.11n, GPS, FM transmit/receive and Bluetooth� technologies. Integrating these capabilities on a true single chip, the 65-nanometer WiLink 7.0 solution reduces costs by 30 percent, reduces size by 50 percent and delivers superior coexistence performance as compared to today's existing solutions. Built on seven generations of proven technologies and legacy software, this single-chip solution further extends TI's heritage of bringing technologies previously seen in high-end devices to the broad mobile market. The WiLink 7.0 solution will be showcased during Mobile World Congress 2010 in the TI booth (8A84, Hall 8). For more information, visit Mobile Wireless LAN - WiLink™ 7.0 Solutions.

To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: Texas Instruments delivers industry�s first quad-radio single chip

(Photo: Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers )

"TI's announcement that its Bluetooth/FM/GPS/WLAN combination IC is sampling to major OEMs marks the first of its kind, demonstrating the strong future for combination ICs that enable device manufacturers to offer multiple radios without sacrificing performance, space requirements or profit margins," said Lisa Arrowsmith, analyst, IMS Research. "IMS Research forecasts that by 2013, more than 4.5 billion combination ICs featuring a variety of radios will have been shipped."

A one-chip wonder: WiLink 7.0 solution's unique features and benefits

Key feature Benefits
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique -- Hardware mechanisms cancel out board- and
    coexistence chip-level RF interference at the source to
    capabilities simplify design process

-- Enhanced WiFi/Bluetooth/Bluetooth Low Energy
    inter-core communication prioritizes packet
    scheduling, supports more connections in parallel
    High-performance
    GPS core -- Best-in-class 3GPP test performance

-- Multi-path resolution engine coupled with
    advanced algorithms reduces interference impact
    for more accurate positioning in urban canyons

-- On-chip position engine simplifies
    integration with device host processor

-- Supports reduced power consumption during
    tracking

-- Host-independent location buffering and geo-
    fencing features further reduce host loading and
    power consumption
    Powerful
    Bluetooth core -- Best-in-class RF performance

-- Dedicated audio processor system-on-chip

-- Supports latest Bluetooth low-energy and
    Bluetooth 3.0 specifications

-- Extensible to support additional protocols
    Robust Wi-Fi core -- Supports the soon-to be ratified WiFi Direct™
    and Soft AP mode capabilities, extensible to
    support additional protocols

-- Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n capabilities
    FM core -- Increased output power for FM transmit combined
    with highly sensitive FM receive delivers cleaner
    FM experience

-- Supports internal antenna

"As the first company to put the power of GPS, WLAN, Bluetooth and FM technologies on a single chip, we are excited to have solved some of the market's most complex coexistence challenges," said Haviv Ilan, vice president and general manager, wireless connectivity solutions, TI. "This type of innovation builds on our strong heritage in the wireless market and commitment to spearhead next-generation advancements. With its ability to support simultaneous use of all four radios, the WiLink 7.0 solution will truly revolutionize the way people interact with their devices and connect to the larger world."

Availability

The WiLink 7.0 solution is sampling to major OEMs today. Devices using the WiLink 7.0 solution are expected to enter the market by the end of 2010.

To learn more about TI's WiLink 7.0 solution, visit:

Video: Mobile Wireless LAN - WiLink™ 7.0 Solutions
    Block diagram: Mobile Wireless LAN - WiLink™ 7.0 Solutions
    Follow TI on Twitter: Texas Instruments (TXInstruments) on Twitter
    TI Mobile Momentum blog: Mobile Momentum - Blogs - TI E2E Community

About Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to Analog, Embedded Processing, Semiconductor Company, Texas Instruments.

Trademarks

WiLink™ is a trademark of Texas Instruments Inc. All other registered trademarks and trademarks belong to their respective owners.

TXN-P

SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated

Posted 9 Feb 2010 9:00 AM by NewsCenter
    05-05-11 01:32 PM
    I read somewhere that RIM uses a Texas Instruments chip that does both WIFI and Bluetooth and Radio stuff all on one chip. Sounds like that is the problem. It's not software.
    This is slightly disconcerting... Mine began having wifi/bluetooth issues on day 2. The bluetooth will not stay off, it turns on by itself all the time. I've done done several attempts to fix this problem security wipes, un-brick procedure, all sorts of setting combinations and nothing works. I have to conclude that it is a hardware issue.

I was planning on doing an exchange this weekend but from what I'm hearing more and more people are starting to have this issue after a bit of use, it sort of sounds like the bluetooth/wifi radio/antenna is burning out. Then again some people have this issue specifically after updating... I really don't know what to say at this point. I was planning on doing an exchange for a new unit this weekend but I might just return it and wait out these issues because I don't want to get stuck with a lemon.
    05-05-11 01:43 PM
    The reason i think it is hardware related is because after wiping it it still happens. Will connect/disconnect then Bluetooth will try to turn on and just sit there. That chip is tiny and doing a lot of work. RIM is one of the only companies using this chip. Ballsy move.
    05-05-11 01:51 PM
    Hard to believe that it is hardware as all of a sudden there are multiple reports about this, kind of like one of the updates maybe caused this.
    Ya I agree that a lot of people started getting this problem after updating. I'm not sure what to think, that's why I really want to hear what people have to say after exchanging for a new one. Mine on the other hand was doing this more or less from the start. I don't recall it happening the first night, but the next day I couldn't connect to either my work or home wifi without a lot of issues, and my bluetooth seems to have a mind of its own. Won't turn off, won't turn on, when I'm bridged it just turns off and disconnects, and then when it's off it randomly turns on and vice versa.

Errrr... Hard to not be extremely annoyed. My only question now is whether to exchange or return it until these unacceptable issues are addressed.
    05-05-11 02:04 PM
    I have had all the same issues that most have posted on this thread. My indicator was when my wi-fi and bluetooth buttons were grayed out. Plus, all of my saved wi-fi spots were deleted. I figured a security wipe and hard reset would fix my issue but now my Playbook is stuck on the set up screen. Anyway, Rim decidied to RMA my Playbook as well. I just wanted to know if the people that have "warranty replaced" or "RMA" through RIM, did you have a 16, 32 or 64gb Playbook? I have a 64gb version. Thanks
    05-14-11 11:25 AM
    I have had all the same issues that most have posted on this thread. My indicator was when my wi-fi and bluetooth buttons were grayed out. Plus, all of my saved wi-fi spots were deleted. I figured a security wipe and hard reset would fix my issue but now my Playbook is stuck on the set up screen. Anyway, Rim decidied to RMA my Playbook as well. I just wanted to know if the people that have "warranty replaced" or "RMA" through RIM, did you have a 16, 32 or 64gb Playbook? I have a 64gb version. Thanks
    I exchanged mine through Future Shop as it was within my 14 day return period. In fact my issue started happening pretty much out of the box on day 2 of having it. Anyways, to answer your question, mine was also the 64gb version.
    05-14-11 12:36 PM
    Oh, and I see now that I did not update this thread after I exchanged my original playbook.

I exchanged mine to Future Shop and upon receiving a new one the difference is quite amazing. My new one works way better, no problems at all. It connects to my phone and all wifi networks effortlessly, it just works. I can even connect to WPA2 networks now, something that I thought was a common problem for everyone and might be solved with a software update, I now have no issues with that, albeit I've only tested it on one WPA2 network but it connected right away.

As for my previous bluetooth issue, this new one is flawless. I can leave my phone anywhere in the house or at my office and it never drops the connection even when I'm on a different level and side of the building. And when you slide the bluetooth from on to off, it's amazing, it actually stays off! And when I slide it on, it turns on!! It's like magic.

I'm pretty happy with the exchange, but I question whether this issue will arise again and how supportive RIM will be if I have to go through their RMA process as opposed to exchanging it at Future Shop. I really don't want to sit on the phone for hours going through the various levels of support to plead my case should I determine something happens down the road that requires an RMA to fix.
    05-14-11 12:47 PM
    My main problem is Video Chat - it only worked on day one, not since (i dont' use blue tooth - but i have noticed it turns itself on) .. mine is a 64gb. I will try to exchange it this evening (bestbuy - vancouver CA).
    05-14-11 03:59 PM
    Oh, and I see now that I did not update this thread after I exchanged my original playbook.

I exchanged mine to Future Shop and upon receiving a new one the difference is quite amazing. My new one works way better, no problems at all. It connects to my phone and all wifi networks effortlessly, it just works. I can even connect to WPA2 networks now, something that I thought was a common problem for everyone and might be solved with a software update, I now have no issues with that, albeit I've only tested it on one WPA2 network but it connected right away.

As for my previous bluetooth issue, this new one is flawless. I can leave my phone anywhere in the house or at my office and it never drops the connection even when I'm on a different level and side of the building. And when you slide the bluetooth from on to off, it's amazing, it actually stays off! And when I slide it on, it turns on!! It's like magic.

I'm pretty happy with the exchange, but I question whether this issue will arise again and how supportive RIM will be if I have to go through their RMA process as opposed to exchanging it at Future Shop. I really don't want to sit on the phone for hours going through the various levels of support to plead my case should I determine something happens down the road that requires an RMA to fix.
    Mine is still dropping on my second Future Shop unit. It is not one of the recall units.

Damn thing just dropped again while I'm typing! lol Rebooted everything this morning.

This is getting comical. I love the thing even with the tsunami of negative reviews, reports, posts and known bugs. So many good things and huge potential, but the thing is useless until the wifi is stable.

It's got till next Saturday when the return date at Future Shop runs out.

Help please. Everything in the house never drops. Thx
    05-15-11 08:23 AM
    I had the same issue, definitely the hardware failure. BB Support could not help. We did wipe it out and also loaded totally new OS thru PC Desktop Manager but the same problem - could not go thru setting up the Wi-Fi because plybook didn't see any... I just wanted to forget about Wi-Fi and load the system to do some other stuff but they forgot to place the "Skip" option when they designed the interface (or OS) - how stupid is that?
    05-15-11 08:46 AM
    This just happened with my Playbook overnight. I got a hold of an Analyst @ RIM and they are looking at my PB logs.

Bluetooth and WiFi not working.
    05-18-11 10:42 PM
    Wifi and Bluetooth stopped working on my Futureshop 64gb last week. Traveling for work and don't want to try a factory reset in case I can't set it back up.

Love the PB, just hope getting a new one doesn't take forever as I'm past 14 days. I can wait for software, shaky hardware isn't great though...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-11 02:00 AM
    I was also having an issue with my playbook, but then i noticed it was only in certain locations in my house, i have heat ducts that i found block the signal at times. I made something i found on freeantenna.com, put it on my antenna and not a drop since.
    05-19-11 04:15 PM
    I also had the same issue with my PB 16GB. Ended up sending if off for RMA on Sunday, haven't heard anything since. Kinda frustrating that they haven't found some sort of solution with so many people have been having these issues. The gal on the phone said they know that a number of people have had these issues after updating to this OS build. I just want my PB back... they can also add some more memory, you know, if they wanted to make it a 32GB, I won't complain.
    05-31-11 07:47 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD