Playbook Connect

What is this?
    This app is to aid developers and interested users get easy access to their Playbook via SSH.

The app is entirely standalone and does not require Java or the Playbook SDK installed to enable SSH.

It is written in Qt and is able to run on: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, BSD, QNX, Symbian, Android and iOS.

How does it work?
    1. Simply extract the provided package anywhere on your system. Then run 'Connect'.
    2. Then enter your Playbook's IP and password in the fields provided. It will remember these for you.
    3. Now press 'Connect' and it will run an SSH server on your Playbook for you.
    4. Now press 'SSH Terminal' and it will open up an SSH connection to your Playbook.

That's it. I have made it as simple as possible in this initial client.

Where can I get it?
    I am providing Windows and Symbian binaries only at this stage. If you want this to run on your phone or another OS, simply request it here and I will provide it if there is interest. Some things need to be changed (such as SSH client) on other platforms.

PlaybookConnect v0.2 (Windows) [9.2MB]
    Note: Package is large as it includes Qt.
    PlaybookConnect v0.2 (Symbian) [0.03MB]
    Note: SSH Client is not included. Use in combination with PuTTY for Symbian^3.

Changelog:
    v0.2:
    * Add indicator (Green/Red) to show whether Playbook exists at that IP address. If it's red, you probably have wrong IP.
    * Faster connecting.
    * Fixed bug that may prevent rapid disconnect/reconnect.

What does it look like?

(Windows)

(Symbian, SSH client)

Notes:
    * This feat was much harder than it looks. A lot of crypto.
    * The device opening the SSH server must also run the SSH client. This is a restriction enforced by RIM. So, if you open the connection on a phone, you must SSH in using your phone also.

Future improvements:
    * Auto-detect Playbook IP address
    * Tight integration with SSH client on Symbian with particular focus on the Nokia E7.
    * Integration with my Playbook Access app (allows viewing information, files, installed apps, installing apps, uninstalling apps, ..)
    Last edited by xsacha; 08-31-11 at 08:20 PM.
    melander, Scott8586, Gerii and 1 others like this.
    08-30-11 01:40 AM
    First of all I would like to thank you for all the efforts and work you've put into this application.
    Second I would like to ask you if I can connect with the Playbook simulator running on the same machine. I'm still in the process of gathering enough money to buy a real Playbook due to my other financial priorities.
    If the response to my previous question will be affirmative (connect to the simulator which I don't see why not...), then can you provide the Mac version of your app?
    To be honest I'm trying to copy into the simulator as much functionality as I can in order for it to behave as the original.
    Thank you. AC
    08-30-11 02:19 AM
    Yes, you can definitely connect to the Playbook Simulator with SSH as well.
    The IP can be found after enabling development mode and clicking on the white icon in the system bar.
    I plan to allow auto-discovery of Playbook IP's in future.

Added Symbian Playbook Connect app.
    PlaybookConnect v0.1 (Symbian) [0.02MB]
    Works well with PuTTY:

I will look at making a Mac version but don't have any way to test it yet.
    Last edited by xsacha; 08-30-11 at 09:16 AM.
    08-30-11 05:33 AM
    Updated to v0.2.
    08-31-11 08:21 PM
    Awesome!
    Although I'm getting a Mingwm10.dll is missing error.

How to fix if you get the same issue:
    Download the Mingwm10.dll.zip from this post (file from mingwm10.dll free download - DLL-files.com)
    Extract it into the PlaybookConnect folder.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 10-25-11 at 01:05 PM.
    10-25-11 12:54 PM
    Thanks for your efforts, both xsacha and SCrid2000. However, I was never able to get the SDK kit to consistently setup the PB to enable ssh and upload the public key to it and it seems whatever prevents me from successfully doing that also prevents this from working. I hit connect, then after 30 seconds, I'm disconnected.

I know the windows system is able to connect, as I can ping etc.. And when using the SDK before, I know ssh is enabled on the PB because I can connect to it from my workstation to test the ssh banner.
    10-25-11 03:20 PM
    This needs developer mode on. Maybe developer mode is turned off on your device?
    Then use the IP address from the developer icon on Playbook (top centre).
    melander likes this.
    10-25-11 07:37 PM
    Excellent. Time to explore now with dev mode on and add in extra keys from other workstations into authorized_keys2. Thanks a lot!
    10-28-11 12:42 AM
    Interesting, but a little disappointing. /etc/shadow is empty. /root is unreadable, pidin and slay are available, but of course, without root privs, can't read /proc. Won't be as easy as the Audrey...
    10-28-11 03:17 PM
    Does anyone know what is syntax for the linx commands ifconfig and iwconfig?

I want to be able to read detailed information on all (nicluding bluetooth) netowrk interfaces.

thanks
    10-31-11 03:37 PM
    Does anyone know what is syntax for the linx commands ifconfig and iwconfig?

I want to be able to read detailed information on all (nicluding bluetooth) netowrk interfaces.

thanks
    Just use: ifconfig
    It should do that.
    To get information about just one interface, use: ifconfig interface (eg. ifconfig wlan0)
    10-31-11 07:12 PM
    Just use: ifconfig
    It should do that.
    To get information about just one interface, use: ifconfig interface (eg. ifconfig wlan0)
    it did not work for me, it's not recongnized. Is it working for you?
    11-02-11 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD