for Samsung! Another RIM Exec gobbled up by Samsung! WTH!! This is the guy you saw on all of the Playbook demo vids!

Wow. Another RIM employee has left for Samsung. Just a month after Brian Wallace, the VP of Digital Marketing and Media for RIM, left for Samsung, another well-known RIM employee is packing up and leaving Waterloo for Austin, Texas.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...-now-director-
    07-19-11 04:07 PM
    I wonder what the inside story is. People leave for a lot of reasons. May be he saw no future @ RIM? I have 1000% more confidence @ samsung than RIM with these problems.
    07-19-11 04:09 PM
    this sucks
    i liked him
    07-19-11 04:10 PM
    Sadly I have to think about rats and sinking ships every time I see these posts.

I really want RIM to succeed.
    07-19-11 04:11 PM
    Sometimes a person leaves because they are just tired of their current company. Could be looking for a new challenge. Discourage by the current environment. Or just simply for money. Who knows.
    07-19-11 04:12 PM
    Well something is bad wrong at rim. You dont have to be a fortune teller to figure it out. When the playbook is in the sad state it is in and RIM just cant seem to do any better?

My hunch is that they see no future in RIM under the current circumstances. These people most likely are seeing that rim isnt allowed to evolve or change, that the two bozos in charge are doing nothing to fix it, and realize it is time to bail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 04:12 PM
    Sadly I have to think about rats and sinking ships every time I see these posts.

Nope RATS are still there at the helm.....
    Shlooky, howarmat and the_sleuth like this.
    07-19-11 04:14 PM
    It could also be that he's receiving the majority of the blame for the poor showing of the PlayBook and left before they could fire him.
    07-19-11 04:14 PM
    RIM just lost another handsome employee. This is the last straw!

Bye, Bye RIM!
    07-19-11 04:16 PM
    Wow. Sad to see him leave. He did great things at CES, and the PlayBook announcement there seemed spectacular! Its a shame (as is said so many times everyday, everywhere) that they are really dropping the ball with the PlayBook now in an equally spectacular way. I wish he'd share his story!

RIM just lost another handsome employee. This is the last straw!
    Bye, Bye RIM!
    Hmmm. I always thought he looked like a Keebler Elf (honest, he looks like an elf), up in a tree somewhere baking PlayBooks instead of cookies... He and his mates took the PlayBook out of the oven too soon though I'm afraid.
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-19-11 at 04:23 PM.
    07-19-11 04:16 PM
    It could also be that he's receiving the majority of the blame for the poor showing of the PlayBook and left before they could fire him.
    Yeah that could be true as well. He could have been feeling heat with the development of the product. I suspect that dumb and dumber would deflect the blame on him even if he's given limited resources to get the job done.
    07-19-11 04:18 PM

I really want RIM to succeed as well. I hold on to my torch and playbook for this very reason. I'm hoping and praying and think that as long as I still have faith it will work itself out. But this news is just adding more nails to the proverbial coffin.

I'd be more concerned it he went somewhere other than to Samsung. Product management is a marketing function. I'm sure that he's in tight with Brian Wallace and that there was some specified period of time that Brian had to wait before trying to poach certain people.

Given RIM's marketing efforts over the past year or so, I'm not so sure that this is a bad thing. I'm more concerned with who RIM decides on for a replacement.
    I really want RIM to succeed as well. I hold on to my torch and playbook for this very reason. I'm hoping and praying and think that as long as I still have faith it will work itself out. But this news is just adding more nails to the proverbial coffin.

No offense but I wouldn't hold on to any company's product just because I want them to succeed IF I felt there were much better alternatives. When I spend my money on something, I expect to get my money's worth. I refuse to keep using something with the hope of it getting better. Forget that, I'll but it again when it actually does get better.
    07-19-11 04:24 PM
    No offense but I wouldn't hold on to any company's product just because I want them to succeed IF I felt there were much better alternatives. When I spend my money on something, I expect to get my money's worth. I refuse to keep using something with the hope of it getting better. Forget that, I'll but it again when it actually does get better.
    No offense taken at all. I like both my playbook and torch...but I wish, geez, I don't know. I just have higher hopes. With the state that RIM is in, I'm seriously reconsidering whether I will even buy a newer model blackberry.

07-19-11 04:28 PM
    good for RIM i dont really like him.
    07-19-11 04:29 PM
    So what, people in the tech world are always leaving and moving after there whatever is out the door. RIM is no different.
    07-19-11 04:29 PM
    Hmmm. I always thought he looked like a Keebler Elf (honest, he looks like an elf), up in a tree somewhere baking PlayBooks instead of cookies... He and his mates took the PlayBook out of the oven too soon though I'm afraid.
    Haha nice
    07-19-11 04:31 PM
    Haha nice
    I'm serious! He has a weird little nose and ears and things. I'm sure he's a wonderful gentleman though. While his unveiling of the PlayBook at CES and his subsequent videos with it were stellar, I'm not sure I'm using the product he was selling to us back then. You've got to admit, it's half baked... RIM is still cooking though and being raked over the coals--much of which is, perhaps, deserved.
    07-19-11 04:41 PM
    No offense taken at all. I like both my playbook and torch...but I wish, geez, I don't know. I just have higher hopes. With the state that RIM is in, I'm seriously reconsidering whether I will even buy a newer model blackberry.

I feel what you are saying. I understand. Personally, I just won't wait around because I owe these companies nothing. All they want from me is my money. So I'll buy their products when they get their stuff together. Right now, I just refuse to be apart of the beta crowd for any company.
    Shlooky likes this.
    07-19-11 04:43 PM
    I think this is a good move for both. The main task of a Product Manager is to carry out the vision of the product, determine the product roadmap and ensure that subsequent progression and updates are on time and carried out with quality first and foremost. I'm a little surprised that with the amount of complaining here about promised updates that haven't materialized; anyone wouldn't see this as a good thing. This all depends on who the successive Product Manager is, obviously but whatever the case, the product was not evolving fast enough as several promised updates (native email, Android support, etc) have slipped as well as additions to the product line (3G Playbook) haven't emerged on time and most probably not on budget.

RIM is taking a beating on the Playbook (along with other non-related products like the new phones, mind you) but someone has to take the blame. I think this was a mutual decision as is normally the case in these situations. I've seen other Product Managers go in other organizations and the normal progression is togo into Marketing. The ship is not sinking; its just a normal course of business in my opinion.

I guess nobody but RIM and him will know the truth. To me, it's not a bad thing.
    07-19-11 04:59 PM
    It depends. If the open letter is to believed then it's possible that Ryan was in essence set up for failure. If he wasn't getting the proper resources and the corporate culture was such that he couldn't say "We need to hold the PlayBook back, it is not ready" and be truly listened to, I can't blame him for leaving.
    07-19-11 05:30 PM
    We don't know the whole story.
    Perhaps he was not the best and RIM hired better.
    This may be better for RIM and eventually for us BB users
    07-19-11 06:08 PM
    Well well the guy that should have made the PB the real deal is moving on, I wonder why? He was most likely taking a lot of heat and decided to get out of the kitchen. Samsung best of luck with him. He was a funny little guy. I liked him But, I've been in the ****e before with what I do, what can I say is (when the going gets tough the tough get going.. together) RIM is simply better off with out him.
    Samsung has a tun of cash and is most likely spending to much of it for this guy's past performance.This is how room gets made for someone that can get the job done. This is perhaps just whats needed!
    At the same time RIM has performed like ****E and time is quickly ticking away!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-19-11 at 06:45 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-19-11 06:41 PM
    No matter how you dice it; the weirdness at RIM continues.

Delayed handsets

Prematurely launched Playbook

Open letters

Spats with developers and silly twitter fights

Executives bailing

Loss of market share and media just piling on about the disfunction

Rumours of Playbook cancellation

BlackBerry TV?

Co-CEO post given 6 month proving period

Just weird. Plain and simple... weird.
    07-19-11 06:52 PM
35 12