Today I plugged my 16GB playbook into Blackberry desktop manager and it said that I had 6 Gb free, so then I went to backup my playbook and the complete backup is 3.5GB how do I only have 6Gb leftover??
    02-19-12 12:37 PM
    What kind of games, music, videos do you have on it? Did you back up *all* media*
    02-19-12 12:39 PM
    Today I plugged my 16GB playbook into Blackberry desktop manager and it said that I had 6 Gb free, so then I went to backup my playbook and the complete backup is 3.5GB how do I only have 6Gb leftover??
    There are a couple of ways to gauge the exact space available on your PB.
    Go to settings--about--hardware---- it will give you the number of apps, videos,files etc you have and the space your PB has left.

Also you can get a free app like 'Air browser' that lets you see what files you have on the PB, and the space left and used up.

You can delete some stuff directly from the PB, for others the best method is connecting your PB to the computer as an external drive--- locate the media folder--- delete the files you want to get rid off--- drag them to the recycle bin/trash---- empty the recycle bin when the PB is "still connected to the computer".... thats it.

Good luck
    02-19-12 03:23 PM
    Oh ok but where would I look for things to remove? like this is ridiculous my apps only total 1.7Gb so we'll round it to 2Gb, and my music takes 2.35Gb so we'll round that to 3GB. How in the world does 16-400mb(OS2 beta)-2Gb-3Gb=6Gb, it just doesn't add up?? and yes I got the media and app space information from desktop manager, and i got the available space remaining from the desktop manager, and the actual settings tab on the playbook.
    02-19-12 04:33 PM
    You don't start with 16 gigs in the first place. Seems about right to me, a 16 gig prolly has 11-12 of actual space for you.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-19-12 04:42 PM
    You don't start with 16 gigs in the first place. Seems about right to me, a 16 gig prolly has 11-12 of actual space for you.
    As is the same with my 32gb PB has 26.5gb of useable space out-of-the-box,,, it takes space for space to be addressed and used
    02-19-12 04:54 PM
    1. 1.3GB of the original 16GB is taken up by filesystem formatting. This is why it always shows 14.7GB as total storage.

2. Tablet OS itself has been quoted by RIM as taking up 0.8GB.

3. The Unix-like OS needs "swap space" on the filesystem to handle multitasking. With 1GB of RAM, figure 1GB of storage as well.

4. The App World app will give you an idea of the space consumed by each of the installed apps.

5. However, each app also reserves a certain amount of "sandbox" space for its own use, that can grow over time The actual amount of this space depends on the app. Deleting an app also recovers its associated sandbox space.

6. If you have recorded or downloaded HD videos, they consume a whopping 4GB per hour recorded.

7. Every file you've ever downloaded, including every PDF, has been dutifully saved in the Downloads folder. These files are never cleared via browser options.

8. Some storage space is apparently reservable for media use---presumably so that new pictures and videos can always be saved. In Desktop Manager, adjust this amount via Device -> Device Options -> Media.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 02-19-12 at 09:58 PM.
    02-19-12 06:16 PM
    Out of the 16g the PB says 14.7 available. The PC says 13.5. This thread prompted me to look and my numbers don't add up either. Not really even close. I opened the PB via wifi sharing and added all the gigs in those media folders and subtracted from 13.5 . I'm still missing 3 gigs. I could imagine there is some things taking up space but 3 gigs seems high.
    I should have bought a 32/64.
    02-19-12 07:18 PM
    Oh ok but where would I look for things to remove? like this is ridiculous my apps only total 1.7Gb so we'll round it to 2Gb, and my music takes 2.35Gb so we'll round that to 3GB. How in the world does 16-400mb(OS2 beta)-2Gb-3Gb=6Gb, it just doesn't add up?? and yes I got the media and app space information from desktop manager, and i got the available space remaining from the desktop manager, and the actual settings tab on the playbook.
    First, post the values you find using the Main GEAR/Options, About and the dropdown for Hardware.

Do you have a connection to the pb using a computer? If so, you could highlight each folder (pictures, video, music, etc) and do a RightClick and then Properties for each or multi-select and do a total for a few of them.

edited to add: thumbnails and data

the pbs' data for the 64: 59.4 total, 30.3 free
    32: 29.6 total 25.9 free

Captures of properties from Win Explorer
    Last edited by F2; 02-19-12 at 07:28 PM.
    02-19-12 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD