My Playbook is 10 months old & when it is not in use it is put in a cover.

It is taken outside of the house twice a month on average, & is probably used around 3 hours a day. Not light usage, but not exactly heavy either. Overall it is a well looked after device.

I like the feel of the rubber back, but I'm just not finding it very durable. Around the bottom sockets & particularly the top buttons it is just peeling away which is a little disappointing.

My Bold 9900 has some of this material on. From what I can tell, the new BB10 alpha device looks to be covered in the same stuff. A smartphone will probably have a 'tougher' life than a tablet, and I wonder if the new BB10 devices, if they are similar, will be very durable?
    08-29-12 05:10 PM
    Get yourself a case lıke an otterbox or a ballıstıcs bro.
    08-29-12 05:31 PM
    hmm my PB is naked...always has been & I haven't had that issue...infact no one I've talked to has either. I wonder if that is a problem unique to your PB....

Has anyone else here had that problem?
    fanatical likes this.
    08-29-12 05:40 PM
    I've been using mine for last 11 months without any case. I use it daily for about 8-12 hours and it's still as new as when bought except battery backup. Feels it's unique to your PB.
    08-29-12 05:47 PM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-29-12 06:47 PM
    I use my PB several hours a day for 16 months, perfect condition.
    08-29-12 06:50 PM
    Mine too. No problems with mine when used in its "naked" state ... which is about half the time. (The other half it's being used with my keyboard and in the case.)

The OP seems to have a unique situation. Perhaps a call to RIM is in order?
    08-29-12 07:12 PM
    hmm my PB is naked...always has been & I haven't had that issue...infact no one I've talked to has either. I wonder if that is a problem unique to your PB....

mine is usually naked, except when I take it out and about (�5 navitech stand case)

I am generally very hard on kit (dropping stuff, etc)

mine is fine, it's a very durable case

maybe the OP should contact RIM for a replacement - degradation of the case in such a short period of time is not reasonable (under UK law you would be able to demand a fix or replacement)
    08-29-12 07:23 PM
    I had a Microsoft mouse with that material that started coming off, and it got sticky when trying to clean it. I think it was because that material doesn't work well with chemicals.

I only use the cleaning cloth to wipe the screen on my PB. The back and sides seem pristine luckily.
    08-29-12 08:42 PM
    Some of the corners of my PB have peeled...it was because of a case actually. I had the DodoCase and the bamboo frame of that case is very snug around the PB. Turns out it scratched into the PB as I was taking it out of the case frame. I tried sanding down the bamboo with a Dremel multitool and it helped, but eventually I got rid of the DodoCase.

What I did to stop the soft touch paint peeling from spreading was dab a very small amount of liquid super glue with a toothpic. I think it was Loctite brand. Once applied, I let it dry in a very well ventilated area and voila, no more peeling from the initial damage. It's not too noticeable and I can live with it.

Seems that more and more devices are using that sort of paint. My new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook also uses it.
    08-29-12 10:43 PM
    I have seen posts where someone has scratched their PB and it starts to peel. I think this is because the matte material is not solid on the PB but probably sprayed on albeit pretty thick. In opposition, the rubber on the back of the 99xx is a solid backing piece and takes scratches and abuse with no problems.
    08-29-12 10:59 PM

Same with mine, 9 months old has always been naked. I take mine to work with me most days.... no case it sits in a pocket in my laptop case. Last winter it went with me everywhere inside my jacket pocket... again no case. Only issue I've had is a small scratch on the screen, but totally my fault as it was sharing the inside pocket of my jacket with my keys while I was skiing

Have you cleaned it with something ? or maybe it was exposed to some chemical that has caused this problem ? If not, I'd give RIM a call as several others suggested.
    08-29-12 11:57 PM
    No problems on my PlayBook.. Use a case.
    08-30-12 12:36 AM
    Thanks for those posts. Looks like I'm pretty much alone with this issue, which made me think about what I could possibly be doing. The conclusion I've reached is that it's the really tight fitting (official product) envelope case that's doing the damage.

Certainly I have to tug the Playbook quite hard to get it out of it's case, & it's always pulled from the middle around the top buttons.

I've decided that the rubber finish is fine & it's the case the sucks!! Ironic that it's the 'protective' case doing the damage.....
    08-30-12 02:24 PM
    No problems on my PlayBook.. Use a case.
    which is the best PB case available in india
    08-30-12 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD