Hi,

I have an original 64G PlayBook which lately has become very slow - 30 seconds to display a text only email. I regularly restart the device, and have done a three-finger restart to see if that improves it. Restarts do seem to improve performance for about 15-20 minutes. Other symptoms are:

1) I regularly reach the 64 WiFi profile limit, and if I delete some profiles, I can connect to a new connection, but the next time it happens I am deleting the same profiles again, they don't seem to get deleted. So every time I try to connect to a new network I need to delete a few saved ones.

2) I have two apps that I "delete" in AppWorld, and on-line they look like they're deleted (they show in the uninstalled list), but they are still active. The reason I'm deleting them is that they have stopped working. I reinstall them from App World, and they still act the same way.

3) Can't do a backup (has been like this for a long time, and based on other forums seems to be a fairly common PB/BBDM problem). I don't really have any important files on the device, as I manually back up all manually.

My Questions:

1) Would a wipe likely be successful (that is what BB suggested)?
    2) Is there a way to reinstall the OS without doing a wipe (I hate the thought and time of reinstalling all my apps)?
    3) Is there a way to back up app settings other than using BBDM's backup function?
    4) Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Paul
    02-13-14 08:49 AM
    If you have never done a wipe and reinstall, and with out knowing the complete history of the device, I would do a wipe and reinstsall.
    Even these can become fragmented (yes, flash memory does mecome fragmented), and especially if you have sideloaded apps (hit and miss at best)

I wipe and reload every year, and it's like a new Playbook. A pain in the But*, but it needs it.

Unfortunatly, you will have to reload your apps, You can back up apps/data thru BBDTM and reload the app data after wipe/reload.

Your 4 questions I think you already new the answer to, and your suspicions are right, you gotta do it all over again......

But it will be worth it.

Good luck and keeps us posted...

c
    02-13-14 09:00 AM
    I agree, my PlayBook has done this in the past and I would have to reload the OS. After that it works great (or as well as a three year old device can work).

Personally I've found doing a fresh install to be fine without a wipe. And I don't recommend doing a restore.
    02-13-14 09:04 AM
    @scalemaster34, thanks. How do you do a "fresh install ... without a wipe." ?
    02-13-14 12:43 PM
    @ Carl Estes, Thanks. Unfortunately the backup always ends up in being unable to connect with the device, and suggesting a wipe and restore. I was hoping maybe there was a directory on the PlayBook that I could copy off, then copy back after the wipe!

As infor the device is over three years old, has about 100 apps, have played with side-loading (I think that is when the backup stopped working), and about 10,000 files of other types.

I guess after three years a wipe and restore couldn't be considered too much of a pain.
    02-13-14 12:48 PM
    @ Carl Estes, Thanks. Unfortunately the backup always ends up in being unable to connect with the device, and suggesting a wipe and restore. I was hoping maybe there was a directory on the PlayBook that I could copy off, then copy back after the wipe!

As infor the device is over three years old, has about 100 apps, have played with side-loading (I think that is when the backup stopped working), and about 10,000 files of other types.

I guess after three years a wipe and restore couldn't be considered too much of a pain.
    You can always copy your files to another computer or drive but app data will be gone and your apps but the apps are in bb world to reinstall.

With the pb off and dm or link open plug in the pb while off and choose update and or repair when prompted. You will lose everything that isn't backed up.
    ConnyTrarian likes this.
    02-13-14 01:07 PM
    Hi,

Just to let you know that the full wipe has solved this problem (but created a non-working camera problem - seems to be fairly common problem). But email is back to normal, as is the WiFi.
    04-05-14 10:15 PM