is there anyway to turn off the pb's splash screen and startup animation to improve the boot time?
    08-12-11 11:18 PM
    Nope.
    (10 char)
    08-13-11 12:08 AM
    Asking that means you think the splash screen and startup animation is actually increasing the boot time by some significant amount. That's very likely not true. You don't think it's actually sitting there animating things when it could be doing something more useful with the processor time, do you?
    08-13-11 08:26 AM
    Asking that means you think the splash screen and startup animation is actually increasing the boot time by some significant amount. That's very likely not true. You don't think it's actually sitting there animating things when it could be doing something more useful with the processor time, do you?
    Turning off the startup animation on Android phones decreases boot time. So why not?
    08-13-11 08:29 AM
    This is a BlackBerry, not an Android.

That's one answer anyway... How long is the boot time on the Android phones in question, and how much time does turning off animations save? Do they have dual core processors? These and possibly other questions are relevant to determining if what you say has any bearing on things here.

By the way, I'd call less than a 10% decrease "not significant".
    08-13-11 09:42 AM
    How long is your boot time. I just timed mine at 57 seconds. That was a hard reset. Volume +&- and power.
    08-13-11 09:49 AM
    It's not necessary to turn it off. In case you don't know, you can put it into standby by pressing the power button and can wake it up by swiping from the top to the bottom bezel. It wakes up instantly. The only time mine is off is when charging a real low battery
    08-13-11 11:51 AM
    Just like a Blackberry phone has to do Security checks while booting up, so does the Playbook. I think I've only had to reboot mine a few times, other than upgrades, since it came out.
    08-15-11 06:38 AM
    delete some apps should speed it up
    08-15-11 11:03 AM
    delete some apps should speed it up
    Have you measured some sort of difference there? Since the apps are not actually loaded at startup, I doubt it takes more than a second to scan maybe 100 of them to update what I'm pretty sure would be *cached* information about their names, icons, and so on. I'd be surprised if there's any significant difference between having one app and 100. If you're not just guessing wildly about that, please provide some data.
    08-15-11 02:19 PM
    is there anyway to turn off the pb's splash screen and startup animation to improve the boot time?
    why does it even matter? how many times have you actually booted up your playbook? i've only booted mine like 3 tiems in the 3 months that ive had it.
    08-15-11 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD