Hi everyone,

While using my PlayBook on VPN, I am able to access websites behind the VPN with no issue.

When I try to access the PlayBook's share '\\internal_ip\media' from a computer within the VPN, it fails to connect the share.

Error connecting to X.X.X.X (Connection refused)
    Connection to X.X.X.X failed
    If I connect my PlayBook (WiFi) on the same network as the computer (non-VPN), then I can access the share no problem,

The only real difference is the VPN vs. non-VPN, there are no filters or funny firewall rules in the VPN to prevent it from what I can tell.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? A setting on the PlayBook I'm missing relating to VPN-based folder sharing?

Thanks,

James
    01-07-14 11:26 AM
    Hello James,

My understanding is that you can only do that if you are on the same network. Access through a VPN, does not allow the PlayBook to identify you as on the same network because you get differnet IP addresses (PB was a IP from the VPN instead of your network - thus messing up access to the files).

It's supposed to work this way.
    01-07-14 02:07 PM
    i agree to what above person have said.
    when you connects to a VPN, your ip pool changes. and because of that you are unable to connect to your local network.

I m not sure playbook support split tunneling feature because if it does, you'r problem can be solved.
    01-08-14 07:16 AM
    i agree to what above person have said.
    When you connects to a vpn, your ip pool changes. And because of that you are unable to connect to your local network.

I m not sure playbook support split tunneling feature because if it does, you'r problem can be solved.
    or you can map both addresses
    01-08-14 07:19 AM
    or you can map both addresses
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by mapping the addresses? Thanks!
    01-08-14 10:16 AM
    You can map the PlayBook as a network hard drive and assign a letter to it. I have my PB as "P:\"; Z10 is "Z:\" for SD and "X:\" for internal memory.

So his suggestion was you grab the new IP address and use that to access the PB's files. if your VPN IP is 10.20.30.1, then \\10.20.30.1\meia\ should do the trick... Should...
    01-08-14 10:39 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/
    diegonei likes this.
    01-08-14 06:57 PM
    You can map the PlayBook as a network hard drive and assign a letter to it. I have my PB as "P:\"; Z10 is "Z:\" for SD and "X:\" for internal memory.

So his suggestion was you grab the new IP address and use that to access the PB's files. if your VPN IP is 10.20.30.1, then \\10.20.30.1\meia\ should do the trick... Should...
    ^^^actually there's that way & also via wifi^^^ the wifi way you don't have to use the umbilical, (usb cable)...
    01-08-14 06:58 PM
    Hey guys,

I've tried doing the mapping method from both via samba on linux and windows ( \\192.168.217.10\media ) and both seem unable to connect to the share while on VPN. I received this message via linux when I try to connect (I'll leave actual IP's this time... doesn't really matter).

Code:
    error connecting to 192.168.217.10 (Connection refused)
    Connection to 192.168.217.10 failed
    If I try and connect without the VPN and just through wifi directly this the the feedback I receive, and hoped to receive via VPN.

Code:
    Domain=[PLAYBOOK-4021] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.37]
    smb: \>
    I have tried using an FTP Server app on the PlayBook that I found, I was able to connect back by that, but it would freeze up communications after about 60-90 seconds of use (even just listing files). The PlayBook actually would not let me disconnect the VPN, turn off the Wifi, go into Airplane mode, or anything after using that application for a period of time. I had to reboot the PlayBook before I could get the network connections to respond again.

If I cannot access from the server-side by shares, and not reliably via FTP, does anyone know of any decent reliable folder sync applications I could install on the PlayBook that a user could click while on VPN to sync a folder from a server instead? Not optimal, but hopefully might be an option...

Thanks,

James
    01-09-14 09:56 AM
    Hey guys,

I've tried doing the mapping method from both via samba on linux and windows ( \\192.168.217.10\media ) and both seem unable to connect to the share while on VPN. I received this message via linux when I try to connect (I'll leave actual IP's this time... doesn't really matter).

Code:
    error connecting to 192.168.217.10 (Connection refused)
    Connection to 192.168.217.10 failed
    If I try and connect without the VPN and just through wifi directly this the the feedback I receive, and hoped to receive via VPN.

Code:
    Domain=[PLAYBOOK-4021] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.37]
    smb: \>
    I have tried using an FTP Server app on the PlayBook that I found, I was able to connect back by that, but it would freeze up communications after about 60-90 seconds of use (even just listing files). The PlayBook actually would not let me disconnect the VPN, turn off the Wifi, go into Airplane mode, or anything after using that application for a period of time. I had to reboot the PlayBook before I could get the network connections to respond again.

If I cannot access from the server-side by shares, and not reliably via FTP, does anyone know of any decent reliable folder sync applications I could install on the PlayBook that a user could click while on VPN to sync a folder from a server instead? Not optimal, but hopefully might be an option...

Thanks,

James
    you can try ghost commander,,, it's in bbworld,,, some people rave about it 'cuz you can access/move files on phone/playbook/pc that aren't accessable using the native file manager,,, i tried it once & my playbook went beserk like i've never seen before so i deleted it & did a wipe/restore to make sure it didn't leave any goodies behind, which droid ports are known to to...
    01-09-14 02:54 PM
    you can try ghost commander,,, it's in bbworld,,, some people rave about it 'cuz you can access/move files on phone/playbook/pc that aren't accessable using the native file manager,,, i tried it once & my playbook went beserk like i've never seen before so i deleted it & did a wipe/restore to make sure it didn't leave any goodies behind, which droid ports are known to to...
    Hi SeaWarrior,

Yeah, I had tried using the application as well today, and it kept freezing while trying to access shares, change tabs and other things. Looks like an android port, so probably not the best of apps. Wish I could find a native sync program, just tried ShareIT!, but it's only looking for iTunes files, and not allowing to specify where to place the files.

Will keep searching, thanks for your help so far,

James
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-09-14 05:06 PM
    yw...........
    01-10-14 03:33 AM
    Just as an update, decided that since I couldn't connect from server to PlayBook over VPN, would initiate other way. Decided to just build my own app with the PlayBook NDK 2.1 and have been able to successfully pull through files that way so far in testing, but long way to go, never programmed in C before so taking a while to figure out.

I'm still pursuing the original way as I would prefer, and have an active ticket with RIM... will update here with the outcome.
    01-16-14 09:23 AM
    Just as an update, decided that since I couldn't connect from server to PlayBook over VPN, would initiate other way. Decided to just build my own app with the PlayBook NDK 2.1 and have been able to successfully pull through files that way so far in testing, but long way to go, never programmed in C before so taking a while to figure out.

I'm still pursuing the original way as I would prefer, and have an active ticket with RIM... will update here with the outcome.
    nice,,, how did you get into learning this stuff??? i've been wanting to submit a wallpaper app, but i'm clueless...
    01-16-14 12:08 PM