I have the new Bold Touch 9930 with Verizon.

I use BES.

I picked up a PlayBook hoping it would make things easier in the BES module when using Bridge.

However, I'm seeing there are some serious limitations here, more than I anticipated.

One intended use was to open an Excel file that's attached to a calendar item so I can use the larger PB screen and keyboard to view and edit it.

But it turns out that the PlayBook cannot open an attachment to a Bridged BES calendar item at all.

I assume that means it also can't open an attachment to an email being viewed via Bridge and BES? (I haven't bothered trying that. It's turned off and I'm too discouraged to bother -- and not very optimistic.)

As an alternative, I tried to use the PB browser to go into my Outlook Web Access and see if I could open the Excel attachment to the calendar item that way. But it seems that it's a moot question because it won't even let me open the calendar item in the first place!

Am I missing something here? Or do I have to live with using some remote desktop app until the LTE version of the PB comes out sometime next year?
    Last edited by classact; 09-14-11 at 05:38 PM.
    09-14-11 05:35 PM
    I'm on BES too, i can't confirm about the calendar issue since i don't use it but i don't have any problem to open word/excel file using the email. Maybe your bes ( IT department ? ) is too restrictive but i don't know if they can control this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 05:46 PM
    I'm on BES too, i can't confirm about the calendar issue since i don't use it but i don't have any problem to open word/excel file using the email. Maybe your bes ( IT department ? ) is too restrictive but i don't know if they can control this.
    I don't have an IT dept. It's just me. Our Exchange Server hosting company is tops and imposes very few restrictions. I'm sure that's not it. They did tell me, though, that Outlook Web Access might not work because Microsoft says it only works reliably with Internet Explorer.

But what I would prefer is to not have to get involved with OWA anyway.

As to using Bridge for BES, I spoke to BlackBerry tech support and the girl, who knew next to nothing, checked and came back saying you cannot open attachments to items in Bridged BES from the PlayBook, period.

I know I tried it and it nothing happened. Maybe I should spell out that I'm talking about an Excel file attached to a calendar item, and I'm talking about an attachment that was attached not on the phone but on the desktop and synced to the phone through the BES server. Can you confirm that that specific scenario works for you?
    09-14-11 05:56 PM
    I think it may be your BES policy setting more than the Playbook, mine works with emails and attachments.
    09-14-11 05:57 PM
    I think it may be your BES policy setting more than the Playbook, mine works with emails and attachments.
    Again, can we please confirm opening an Excel file attached to a calendar item?
    09-14-11 06:37 PM
    I did a quick check through my calender items but couldn't pull any with an excel attachment but for what its worth, i was able to open an excel doc attached to an email.
    09-14-11 06:58 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't have any Calendar appointments with Excel attachments to test your exact scenario, but:

I can open a PowerPoint file that is attached to an email message using my PB bridged to my 9800.

I can open a Word file that is attached to a calendar item using OWA on my PB.
    09-14-11 09:10 PM
    I can open calendar attachments that are Excel and Word files in OWA on the PlayBook, BUT I'm not using BES.
    09-14-11 09:59 PM
    I created a new calendar appointment on my laptop in Outlook 2007 and attached an Excel 2010 xlsx file to it. That appointment was sync'd from my Exchange 2010 server to my Torch 9800 via BES (not sure of the BES server version).

I can open the appointment and the Excel attachment on my PB via OWA. I can open any MS Office attachment in any calendar appointment via OWA. I cannot open any calendar attachments over bridge from my PB to my BB. However, I can open any email attachments via bridge.
    09-14-11 11:02 PM
    I tested on BES calendar meeting with attachment, I don't see any option of opening the attachment in PB. I was able to forward the calendar item to my email from the phone and open the attachment from the BES email after that...

Also, I was able to edit the file and then you can "save"/"save as" the file on phone's memory or phone's sd card.
    09-15-11 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD