Picked up a new playbook today. Out of the box it wouldn't turn on, even when connected to a charger, only a red light flashes when I plug it in. Does it need to charge a bit before I run setup or are there bigger problems afoot I must deal with?

Posted via Z10.
    12-08-14 01:29 PM
    Yes let her charge real well. One down side to the playbook is the battery dies even when not turned on quite quickly.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.3 leak
    12-08-14 01:32 PM
    Probably needs a charge, sitting somewhere on a shelf all these years....and I've had my PB's on Standby for days and only lost/used maybe 5 percent of the batteries charge.
    The only thing they DO NOT LIKE is to be completely run down, then your on the Stack Charging train........10 percent charge remaining means you need to charge asap.
    12-08-14 01:44 PM
    Picked up a new playbook today. Out of the box it wouldn't turn on, even when connected to a charger, only a red light flashes when I plug it in. Does it need to charge a bit before I run setup or are there bigger problems afoot I must deal with?

Posted via Z10.
    If it boots up after a full day of charging great. If not you will have to stack charge the battery. Lots of threads on that procedure already.

If you have issues with booting you should return it. It was likely sitting in a closet somewhere for the past two years and you may experience battery issues. Lots of these units giving up the ghost lately due to the battery (now three + years old).

You may want to return it and get a tablet that is not end of life and runs software that is still relevant. I believe you will find playbook to be a frustrating and cumbersome user experience compared to any current tech you may be operating.
    12-08-14 03:40 PM
    You may want to return it and get a tablet that is not end of life and runs software that is still relevant. I believe you will find playbook to be a frustrating and cumbersome user experience compared to any current tech you may be operating.
    Why, because you do?

No one asked, from what I read in this thread.
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-08-14 03:42 PM
    Why, because you do?

No one asked, from what I read in this thread.
    No because if this is his first experience with playbook and he's used to a device that has an appstore, loads apps without covert, sideload and fail - trial and error nonsense, can browse the internet at a speed any normal person would expect, he'll be in for a suprise. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but if he bought it new, he's only got limited time to return it for a refund.

Just thought he should have realistic expectations of what it WON'T do, once he has gone through the frustration of just trying to get it to boot.
    12-08-14 03:52 PM
    I also see it wasn't clear in my first post. When I first mentioned returning it, it was for a replacement where the battery wouldn't be dead on arrival.

The option to return it for a more useful tablet was just solid advice in my book.
    12-08-14 03:57 PM
    Just left it charging and went to work. If it won't boot when I get off, I'll try to "stack charge" tomorrow. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Posted via Z10.
    12-08-14 05:06 PM
    LED should pulse yellowish green while charging and be steady green when fully charged. I wouldn't try to turn it on til fully charged. Also, how is the power button, lowered or raised?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 07:16 PM
    I got home from work and still nothing. I plugged it up and unplugged it about 5 times at 20 second intervals and now a battery has appeared and the LED is flashing the yellowish green, so apparently it is finally charging.

Posted via Z10.
    12-08-14 11:31 PM