For those of you in Canada, Futureshop is selling the 32 gb Playbook for $249 for boxing day. That's $350 off!!!

The store by my place is well stocked with crates all over the store and people are just walking past them and not even taking a look while they scramble and fight to buy ipad2s for $20 off.

This is a heck of a deal.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-26-11 at 06:04 PM.
    12-26-11 05:08 PM
    Boxing Day Sale!
    So many PlayBooks..........
    12-26-11 05:18 PM
    Boxing Day Sale!
    So many PlayBooks..........
    And not one person taking a look at them. I bought one for the girlfriend.
    12-26-11 05:20 PM
    At least the display models there are functioning! Best Buy today had the same $250 deal for the 32, but the demo unit wasn't even on. I tried to turn it on, but it was dead.
    12-26-11 05:22 PM
    At least the display models there are functioning! Best Buy today had the same $250 deal for the 32, but the demo unit wasn't even on. I tried to turn it on, but it was dead.
    I went to a Futureshop here in Toronto last week and both Playbooks on display were broken; one was stuck on the WiFi setup screen and the other completely dead (wouldn't even charge).
    12-26-11 05:25 PM
    I went to a Futureshop here in Toronto last week and both Playbooks on display were broken; one was stuck on the WiFi setup screen and the other completely dead (wouldn't even charge).
    I don't understand that. I asked one of the salesman about it, and he just shrugged and said "it stopped working around Black Friday" (a month ago!!) and then of course started to try to sell me a Samsung.

If you're going to take up valuable display space for whole month, why not at least bother to put a working display unit out! He must get $5 more for selling the Samsung or something.
    12-26-11 05:28 PM
    He must get $5 more for selling the Samsung or something.
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. The guys at FS and BB are on commission; just walk in and notice how they follow you around and don't you dare ask another salesperson for assistance after they've helped you out. LOL I would bet that they don't make as much commission from the PB as from the Samsung or other Androids (I would doubt that the iPad would bring much commission since Apple knows they sell themselves pretty much).
    12-26-11 05:32 PM
    sad sad times. i'm not sure if the sales people at FS or BB are on commission.
    12-26-11 05:59 PM
    its funny cus ipad2 are 50$ off at staples.... just saying.
    12-26-11 06:04 PM
    i paid $299 each for 2 32g'ers abt a month ago...now both places i bought 'em from (sears and shopblackberry) have 'em on for $50 less! i just can't bring myself to be overly annoyed about it though when i see the position my mom's in...she's still waiting for one for $299 from sbb...that would seriously me off...hopefully she takes my advice n cancels her order n orders from sears or wherever instead
    12-26-11 06:06 PM
    I asked a couple of them at various times and they've always said yes.
    I don't understand that. I asked one of the salesman about it, and he just shrugged and said "it stopped working around Black Friday" (a month ago!!) and then of course started to try to sell me a Samsung.

If you're going to take up valuable display space for whole month, why not at least bother to put a working display unit out! He must get $5 more for selling the Samsung or something.
    Same thing happened to me with the salesman. When I asked for the Playbook, he said "You don't want that, it is really bad. You want an ipad or android tablet.".

I told him I have a blackberry, playbook, iphone, android and ipad and know what I want. It is a gift for someone. He then gave me a shocked look as he wasn't expecting that answer.
    I asked a couple of them at various times and they've always said yes.
    Future Shop salesmen are on commission for sure. They followed me around and insisted on ringing my sales in before I went to shop in another department. I asked if he got a bonus and he said yes.
    12-26-11 06:08 PM
    Yup. And what gets me is if the original salesperson is helping someone else and you have an additional question, other salespeople are almost intimated into not helping you for fear of infringing on the other person's commission. So the customer loses out, IMHO...it's intimidation towards us. That's why I like the Apple Store, I have to admit; they're not on commission and not that they don't care if you buy something, it's more that they're there to help, you can ask anyone anything and they won't pressure you into buying from them.
    12-26-11 06:13 PM
    Future Shop, commission... Best Buy, no. I buy more at BB for that reason.
    12-26-11 07:21 PM
    For those of you in Canada, Futureshop is selling the 32 gb Playbook for $249 for boxing day. That's $350 off!!!

The store by my place is well stocked with crates all over the store and people are just walking past them and not even taking a look while they scramble and fight to buy ipad2s for $20 off....
    Out west here, I noticed the same thing.
    Pretty much no one cared about the Playbook sale at all???

Line ups all over the store for laptops, cameras, etc.,
    but the Playbook section was empty.

Was surprised as 3 weeks ago people were breaking the door down for them.

Think RIM made a big mistake ending that sale before Christmas,
    the momentum seems to be gone.

Not a good sign?
    12-26-11 09:31 PM
    Just came back from Future Shop. The maybe sold 5 all day looking at the remaining stock.

It has its short comings but at this price and the upcoming OS update, you can't lose.

A very sad day for RIM. I can't believe it. If RIM can't sell Playbooks on Boxing Day at this price, then when can they and at what price?
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-26-11 at 10:02 PM.
    12-26-11 10:00 PM
    Future Shop, commission... Best Buy, no. I buy more at BB for that reason.
    This is correct. I worked at Futureshop before, yes they are on commission. I don't see why this is a problem. You can get good and bad service from commission and hourly employees. When I worked there I offered the same service I gave at another place I worked where I was paid hourly.

At the time there were many that would push products that had spiffs on them because they paid a lot more. I didn't do that and it hurt my pay. I was excited when that product fit what someone was looking for but if it didn't I wouldn't push them toward it.

If you find a good sales person, ask for them and deal with them, commission or hourly. Find a bad one, avoid them.

James
    12-26-11 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD