With all the BB10 phone hype, and us playbook addicts awaiting our dose of the kool-aid, I was wondering what others ideas were on secondary market value for the Playbook.

Personally, I think with all the old wifi stock pretty much sold off, that once bb10 for the playbook is announced, that used playbooks will sell for more than what we have been paying for new stock over the past few months. Now, considering I have already had a couple of glasses of wine today, so my perspective may be slightly tilted, I almost think that investing in any available new playbooks could be an intelligent investment. What are others opinions on this?
    01-22-13 04:03 PM
    No.

The PlayBook is 2 years old. Older specs, lower screen res, and an already hurt reputation....people won't want to buy that, even with BB10.
    01-22-13 04:07 PM
    No.

The PlayBook is 2 years old. Older specs, lower screen res, and an already hurt reputation....people won't want to buy that, even with BB10.
    are these the same people that buy minimally updated idevices every year (or 5 months)?

We dont KNOW what the market will be like because it isnt here... but if the main gripe was the OS then it should help. Unless there is a new model announced on the 30th.
    01-22-13 04:17 PM
    They want to sell a new version so they can make more money. Continuing to sell the current pbs at clearance prices doesn't help rim since bb10 phones are out also. Plus newer hardware will make bb10 better on the playbook IMO.
    01-22-13 04:20 PM
    For me the screen resolution is just fine. If the BB10 runs a little faster on current BB Playbook OS the older hardware effect will not be noticeable. Since any new hardware will probably have to be priced in the $250 range in the US the price of the used PB's should stay at about $150. A few days ago I noticed that a seller named Kenny Lin was asking $190 for his used 16 GB playbook. Haven't checked lately.
    01-22-13 04:21 PM
    I think the value will definitely go up but people will probably want brand new ones, I'm guessing that rim will come out with new playbookss this year. It doesn't make sense to have a phone and tablet running the same software and the phone outperforming the tablet. The playbookss will be worth more than they are now but I'm sure new ones will come out and that's what the hype will be about after bb10 has settled in. Just my opinion tho
    01-22-13 04:24 PM
    The hardware is "old" but stacks up against recently released ipad mini.....not to mention that if BlackBerry10 runs well on Playbook who cares what year it came out?
    kozmo68 likes this.
    01-22-13 04:28 PM
    Now, considering I have already had a couple of glasses of wine today, so my perspective may be slightly tilted
    i'm jealous...
    01-22-13 04:29 PM
    I think the value will definitely go up but people will probably want brand new ones,
    That is the question. Will there be a new playbook? Especially a wifi version, not the LTE available through cell companies only. If they don't do a new wifi version, will this not increase the value of the older playbooks?

Considering PC World (I think it was them, I am too lazy to look it up) rated the current playbook at #4 (even at 2 years old), would having BB10 not bring it further up the ladder?
    01-22-13 04:44 PM
    i'm jealous...
    I would share my bottle, but I already slapped my hubby's hand when he tried to pour a glass, so he might be offended if I sent you some.
    416to604 and toffeenose like this.
    01-22-13 04:45 PM
    They want to sell a new version so they can make more money. Continuing to sell the current pbs at clearance prices doesn't help rim since bb10 phones are out also. Plus newer hardware will make bb10 better on the playbook IMO.
    I agree 100%... thats why i said 'unless another model is released' I think that the current PB is a situation where the consumer gets the 'better than nothing' deal. obviously a newer model would be awesome!!!
    01-22-13 04:54 PM
    Check Craigslist in the SF Bay Area. They are already selling for more than you could buy them new just a month or so ago.
    01-22-13 05:04 PM
    All the new phones and the PlayBook will be running the same OS. The differences will be the APPS.
    01-22-13 07:03 PM
    That is the question. Will there be a new playbook? Especially a wifi version, not the LTE available through cell companies only. If they don't do a new wifi version, will this not increase the value of the older playbooks?

Considering PC World (I think it was them, I am too lazy to look it up) rated the current playbook at #4 (even at 2 years old), would having BB10 not bring it further up the ladder?
    I think whether or not they make new playbooks, the current ones value will go up when bb10 comes to them. If they come out with new playbooks after, then the old ones will still be more valuable then they are now but obviously not as valuable as the new ones. So yes it would be a good investment, I bought my 16gb playbook used for $100 and I imagine that with bb10 on it I could sell it for at least $150-$200... Depends on if the upgrade is free which hopefully it will be. Also depends on who your selling to, if they know what they're doing, they could just buy one with old os for cheap and upgrade. If they don't know much about bb or tech, you could tell them it's "newer" than old pb's and hopefully make some money off of it...

And yes pb's will go up all ladders with bb10 on it, they will be the best tablets on market for sure, already better than ipads if you ask me, don't know about other tablets because I haven't used them but I imagine they all suck haha. I'm bias towards bb
    01-22-13 09:28 PM
    I have a blackberry 7520 with original box 100% mint condition! Is it worth more now?
    01-23-13 12:02 AM
    prices will go up as sellers on ebay will try to place emphasis on the new-ness of BB10. Just watch, and I can many people frantically bidding on ebay above market value for a new unit, as they currently do!
    01-23-13 12:33 AM
    LOL. No one is rushing to stores to buy a Playbook! I would like one, simply to sync with my BB for trips n watching media and such.......BUT you have to think about the browser and apps....are they ever going to be up to par with other tablets......why would I want a phone that is more powerful than my tablet?

I use to have a PB and I remember it couldn't even log onto some websites, like for school...making it 100% useless for "business" yet my friends ipad 1 could easily do that like it was nothing.

Not impressed with the PB, they need to do something else with it.
    01-23-13 02:18 AM
    The value or price of PlayBook will rise if the demands increase... and if this happens, RIM will take this opportunity to manufacture new version of PlayBook – a more powerful one and market it as better than the current PlayBook (it’s only natural in business world i.e. killing their own previous products)...

Then the life expectancy of our old PlayBook will be numbered... until RIM decided to "let it go"...
    01-23-13 02:36 AM
    What sites couldnt you log into? Ive never once had that problem
    01-23-13 02:57 AM
    LOL. No one is rushing to stores to buy a Playbook!
    I'm not convinced of that.

Can't speak for other countries - but in the UK, cheap prices have stimulated demand. And a higher end device available at a budget price has kept many purchasers happy.
    I would like one, simply to sync with my BB for trips n watching media and such.......BUT you have to think about the browser and apps....are they ever going to be up to par with other tablets......why would I want a phone that is more powerful than my tablet?
    They are on par with other tablets.

That there's some gaps in the available apps is noteworthy - but only really an issue, if the gaps are really an issue - otherwise, it's just unthinking rhetoric.

For me personally, biggest gaps are Kindle and Skype - but neither are deal breakers.
    I use to have a PB and I remember it couldn't even log onto some websites, like for school...making it 100% useless for "business" yet my friends ipad 1 could easily do that like it was nothing.

Not impressed with the PB, they need to do something else with it.
    Isn't that what they're doing, though - in the assumption that BB10 does truly come to the PlayBook.

Even now, nearly 2 years after launch, it's spec is competitive on performance and attributes, and physically much better built than any other tablet I've physically held.

The downside is not the OS, it's some gaps or weaknesses in the apps available. That, and the constant, mithering about the ecosystem not being as expansive and established as either Google Play or iTunes - but much of that is a canard - having countless different apps for the latest meme, or twenty fart noise apps, isn't a weakness, unless you're 12.
    01-23-13 03:35 AM