I had a horrible experience the other nite. I let my granddaughter play games on my PB and she dropped it cracking the screen. It was the 16g model. I immediately purchased a 32g to replace it. I was wondering if there is a place where I can get this screen fixed or is it possible to do it myself. Or even better is it worth it to sink money into it? Please Help!!!!!!!!!!
    02-16-12 06:50 AM
    Well, since it's not a manufacturer defect you won't get RMA, but you can still call their number and probably get it fixed with them. For a fee. Although they might just go and charge you full price (not 199 but full 499) for replacement. Might be good to check anyways.
    02-16-12 06:56 AM
    Someone posted about trying their own fix but never completed the posting.

There are a few different videos on taking it apart and the screen is available from some outfit. It appears that the "last" two components of the screen may be glued to a metal frame. That's where the other guy had some issues. So make sure that you get the right part.

Rim might fix but it is not cheap.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

(the email will not work unless you already have a case number)
    02-16-12 10:38 AM
    This is the only place I have seen that sells the digitizer attached to the frame.
    OEM Blackberry PlayBook Touch Screen With Bezel::blackberry touch screen::Touch Screen::Truesupplier - Blackberry Accessories,iPhone Accessories & HTC Accessories wholesale Co.
    The digitizer is indeed glued to the frame.
    Search playbook teardown on YouTube to see the video.
    For 82$ I would give it a try. It depends on your skill level.
    You can also try local cell repair shops.
    EDIT: it appears that site is wholesale. You would have to contact them.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 02-16-12 at 11:00 AM.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-16-12 10:56 AM
    Please keep us posted.
    02-16-12 11:19 AM
    GRRR!!!!! Similar thing - 3yr old thought it'd be fun to use the PB as a drum - 'shattered' the screen on the one side. Battery is dead, but doesn't appear to respond anymore :/ and to top it all off I prefer the Otterbox case - doesn't protect the screen when using.

Going to check out the site posted above, and see what happens.........
    GRRR!!!!!>......

Sorry to 'hijack' the thread......
    02-16-12 05:18 PM
    Do you guys not have accident insurance on your house?
    02-16-12 05:28 PM

Hang onto the damaged PB. Get your hands on one that has been damaged but still has a good screen. Go to the web site above and view the video. Change out the screen.
    02-16-12 06:09 PM
    Found this on another thread.
    And if your near Toronto, Ontario - TeckKnowSpace. - Can't recommend this repair shop in good faith :/
    Called them already, and 119+taxes for part and labour and was told 2hr turn around - If I understood her correctly.

As for the accident insurance - I'd have to check for ourselves, but i'd be looking at a 500 dollar deductible, and then who knows what would happen to the rates :/

not a good day :/

Edited to remove url link to repair shop. Name left - do your own research. They replaced the digitizer, wifi wasn't working after - took it back and they 'fixed' it. GPS not working after that. I opened case and found that they 'stole' the gps antenna and used it for the wifi - works, but reception not as good. Found that the wire on the wifi antena appeared to be connected, but was indeed separated - a lit touch with the solder gun and we're all back in business!!!
    Last edited by gschep; 03-07-12 at 09:05 PM.
    02-16-12 06:17 PM
    Doing an actual RMA through rim for cracked screen is half of the tablets value at retail price so 64gb screen replacement would cost you 349.99
    02-16-12 08:30 PM
    I called RIM and they told me it would be an estimate of 100.00 + tax and that they would pay for the shipping both ways. Once they had examined the device they could give me a more accurate price.

I will not spend half of the money it cost me to buy it when there is better tablets out there!
    07-19-12 09:07 AM
    I called RIM and they told me it would be an estimate of 100.00 + tax and that they would pay for the shipping both ways. Once they had examined the device they could give me a more accurate price.

I will not spend half of the money it cost me to buy it when there is better tablets out there!
    While that has to be your decision, folks have replaced the screen themselves. There was a recent video on the final steps which other dissection videos did not show. But the part does cost about $70 (I don't recall it precisely), so the part is not cheap and then there's the labor.
    07-19-12 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD