I bought my Playbook on September 13, 2011 and the screen started to crap out on me (see photos). It'll work for a while and turn it off - after 3-5 minutes after being turned off - it'll crap on me. It started about two days ago... any suggestions?
    10-07-11 12:37 AM
    I'd suggest putting the pic back into photoshop and pressing "image/adjust/invert" so we can see the reflection of clouds in a blue sky on the screen. Nice attempt at a hoax though.

I take that back .. Pretty lame attempt.
    10-07-11 12:41 AM
    Here - saved you the trouble..

All better now?
    10-07-11 12:49 AM
    I'm having trouble more with the first screen shot - the second screen shot will happen once in a while as well...
    10-07-11 12:56 AM
    All you can do is return it to where you bought it or send it back for repair.
    10-07-11 01:04 AM
    That's what I figured but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever come across the same issue. It's weird and hard to describe - thanks to cameras, I just say "playbook screen broken" and just show you the problem I'll likely exchange it.
    10-07-11 01:13 AM
    Have you tried reloading the OS?
    10-07-11 03:04 AM
    I've been experiencing the same issue intermittently. Initially I thought it was exposure to cold since I mostly notice it after being outside. If I switch the screen off and on when this happens then it returns to normal.
    12-17-11 03:32 PM
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the screen dimming and "crapping" out is a function of it going into standby after 3-5 minutes, is it not?
    12-17-11 03:58 PM
    It's probably covered by warranty
    Try calling RIM about it
    Or security wipe first?
    12-17-11 05:09 PM
    Cold definitely could affect the lcd. I guess you could place it in a freezer for a bit and see if that reproduces the issues. And, yes, there is a brief period when the screen darkens as it begins to enter standby. Tapping the screen brings back full brightness (or your setting).

By the way full sun, will appear to disable screen brightness as it will auto adjust to full brightness but not indicate that on the battery meter's screen level.
    Last edited by F2; 12-17-11 at 07:56 PM. Reason: fix typo
    12-17-11 05:21 PM
    Tried to recreate my issue using the freezer without any luck. I think I should clarify my issue after reading the replies - after my playbook has been placed into standby for a few minutes (eg the screen is completely off), I sometimes see a negative image on the screen like the above screenshots when i wake it up. To fix the display I place it in standby and wake it up again - this has always cleared it up so far. I've had my playbook for sometime. The current one is a warranty replacement since the first one I got had a few dead pixels that were very obvious. I did a security wipe a few weeks ago and this just started happening a couple days ago. Might do another to see if that helps.
    12-17-11 05:41 PM
    Just my luck, the issue recurred as I was restoring my PlayBook from the security wipe. When I take a screenshot from the PlayBook (by pressing the volume buttons), the picture captured does not show what I see, it looks normal. I'll have to snap a picture the next time it happens and go through support again. Thanks for the replies on this!
    12-19-11 07:40 AM
    I'd guess that if the screenshot does not show what you are seeing, then the screen is definitely acting poorly.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-19-11 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD