Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm thinking of ditching my bold 9780 for a Galaxy S3 in a few days. I'll be back to a BB10 device on launch day but for now i'm going to try Android.

In terms of my playbook, I use my bb bold to provide data via bridge so I can use it outside of a wifi zone. Anyone here tether their S3 with their playbook? How is the performance? Can the S3 act as a mobile hot spot to provide wifi to the playbook?

Smiff
    09-28-12 09:49 AM
    Hi.. I have the s3 and the playbook.. The tethering is not there are far as data on the phone goes.. But the wifi hotspot works incredibly well and the internet speed is no longer limited to the speed of bluetooth (1 Mbps) but it limited by your mobile providers internet connection (10 Mbps roughly here (not lte yet in my city)) H+

You will love the s3 after a week of getting used to it and customizing so the phone works for you.

I was waiting for bb10, but i dunno.. I really like this phone. I was on iphone 4 and then gave up the POS for a 9900 which i loved... But i'm a phone and switch phones every 6 months or so..I get bored easily.
    09-28-12 09:55 AM
    Thanks for your reply.

I was getting ready to buy the S3 then thought oh sh*t what about my playbook??? Good to know I'll be good to go using the S3's hotspot to provide data to my playbook.

I have been with BB for about 8 years so was a little nervous about jumping off the boat and seeing how it would affect my playbook usage.
    Lhendr likes this.
    09-28-12 10:16 AM
    I have a soft sport for BB but the s3 smokes everything out there at the moment.. The widgets, live wall papers, nfc sharing (i've found this usefull a bunch of times) the docking mode (if you get the s3 dock) and all the free apps extremely usefull.

The web browser is great especially on this screen.

My only complaint was that the screen is a bit dark outside, but i have a screen protector on mine and i where sun glasses

The screen is light years ahead of my iphone 4 for color depth and vibrant colors.
    09-28-12 10:19 AM
    As with any android phones here are your options for tethering:

1. Use the S3 hotspot (ok)
    2. FoxFi (Free) - use the plugin to 'hide' tethering from your carrier if important.
    3. BlueDUN (paid for) - same as above, but via bluetooth
    4. PDAnet (as above, but free)

I use 2,3 and 4 on my Galaxy ace & its great - I especially use FoxFi - perfect for being out & about & can even handle video chat.

Indeed the other option for file transfer between S3 and PB is Wifi Transfer Pro on the Android. Only thing you'll be 'losing' is bridge facility.

Hope this helps.
    Lhendr likes this.
    09-28-12 11:53 AM
    Yes this helps a lot!

Thanks

As with any android phones here are your options for tethering:

1. Use the S3 hotspot (ok)
    2. FoxFi (Free) - use the plugin to 'hide' tethering from your carrier if important.
    3. BlueDUN (paid for) - same as above, but via bluetooth
    4. PDAnet (as above, but free)

I use 2,3 and 4 on my Galaxy ace & its great - I especially use FoxFi - perfect for being out & about & can even handle video chat.

Indeed the other option for file transfer between S3 and PB is Wifi Transfer Pro on the Android. Only thing you'll be 'losing' is bridge facility.

Hope this helps.
    09-28-12 01:09 PM
    I don't have gs3 but I do own an android phone ATRIX 2. At&T blocks tethering unless you pay extra for what you are paying already. But using SQlite editor app to change the configuration settings in system allows you to bypass extra payments.

[MOD] Enable Tethering on 4.5.91 - xda-developers

The link above method worked on my phone and haven't gotten any letters from at&t for tethering my playbook. I've noticed most people get threat/warning from carriers for downloading large chunk of data (HD movies, torrenting) or just using your phone as a router for many pcs at home.
    But for your playbook simply for getting apps or browsing the Web, or even few youtubing doesn't raise the flag on your account.

I've done it for few months tethering my playbook everyday, and from my experience I can say it's safe.

Ps. I've heard at&t set your mobile Hotspot to 3G network speed but I can't really tell the difference.
    09-28-12 01:16 PM
    @sharpehenry, that's why FoxFi, BlueDun & PDAnet work so well...they hide the tethering from the network (such as AT&T) to make it look like general data use, and no root is required. Naturally, and same with the sql trick - use of mass quantities of data will gather suspicion, but if you have an unlimited data plan & aren't silly enough to download torrents or watch hi-def feature length streams through a phone you'll be cool to go.

Not criticising the xda method, but from that the apps such as FoxFi were born.
    sharpehenry likes this.
    09-28-12 02:07 PM
    I forgot to mention that routing, such as mobile Hotspot, is intense work. It will drain the phone battery real quickly. I suggest if OP wants to use these methods, make sure you bring extra battery pack or a charger around. That's why I really liked the bridge mode on blackberry devices, my old 9700 didn't get hot or used up all of batteries trying to tether.
    09-28-12 02:36 PM
    Hi.. I have the s3 and the playbook.. The tethering is not there are far as data on the phone goes.. But the wifi hotspot works incredibly well and the internet speed is no longer limited to the speed of bluetooth (1 Mbps) but it limited by your mobile providers internet connection (10 Mbps roughly here (not lte yet in my city)) H+

You will love the s3 after a week of getting used to it and customizing so the phone works for you.

I was waiting for bb10, but i dunno.. I really like this phone. I was on iphone 4 and then gave up the POS for a 9900 which i loved... But i'm a phone and switch phones every 6 months or so..I get bored easily.
    So when the faster LTE BB 10 phones come out, the bridge speed will still be limited to 1Mbps using the bluetooth? I also just got a new s3 because I wanted a faster phone, but was going to switch back when the BB10 comes out...
    09-28-12 03:23 PM
    Loving my S3 and playbook combo...foxfi and unlimited data plan...4GLTE on AT&T is fast.. But I'm gonna adopt BB10 on release day...
    09-28-12 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD