I was looking to pick up a 64GB model at my local Best Buy because they had them in stock. Last night it was $499, today it is $699. i guess I'll be happy with my 16GB for now.
    10-09-11 04:40 PM
    I would check Staples/Office Depot etc. It seems on both sides of the border everyone but Best Buy is still running the sale prices.
    10-09-11 05:02 PM
    I was looking to pick up a 64GB model at my local Best Buy because they had them in stock. Last night it was $499, today it is $699. i guess I'll be happy with my 16GB for now.
    Same here but I want 16GB so i went to best buy and when I saw price I told girl that it was $299.99 last night so she say that she will check and do price match from different stores. So she find it for $299.99 at staples and went to manager and he say yes. So you guys go to best buy and ask them for price match. They do that but if they want. Some of the guys working there don't want to bother so they will say it is what it is but if they do price match u get for lower price. Good luck everybody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 05:18 PM
    Best Buy's promotion is over. Staples is running the $200.00 off through October 15. I have a funny feeling that this will be the last of the promotions before 2.0 hits.
    10-09-11 05:22 PM
    has RIM learned anything from Amazon's price point for the Kindle Fire? If they want to continue pushing this product competitively they need to make it affordable.
    10-09-11 05:46 PM
    I just check Sears Canada and their promotion has ended. Still Walmart and Staples left but I don't think theirs will last any much longer.
    10-09-11 05:49 PM
    Better Hurry to get the last units while still available.
    Last edited by alekza; 10-09-11 at 06:36 PM.
    10-09-11 06:26 PM
    Yes hurry up, and get one right now...LOL.

Seriously speaking there are 800k sitting in unsold inventory, more than RIM had actually sold since the playbook came out. So there will be more than enough supply of playbook in the market in th next few days that will sell at a discount.

You really can't expect that the general public would buy a product based on promises and hopes where the competition actually already provides it, unless you massively discount the price.
    10-09-11 06:49 PM
    Yes hurry up, and get one right now...LOL.

Seriously speaking there are 800k sitting in unsold inventory, more than RIM had actually sold since the playbook came out. So there will be more than enough supply of playbook in the market in th next few days that will sell at a discount.

You really can't expect that the general public would buy a product based on promises and hopes where the competition actually already provides it, unless you massively discount the price.
    The 800K figure was pre-sales, (before the sales) now the retailers can't keep them in stock. Please provide a date for the info, or update it. Otherwise stop with your disinformation campaign.
    Jake Storm and sf49ers like this.
    10-09-11 06:53 PM
    The 800K figure was pre-sales, (before the sales) now the retailers can't keep them in stock. Please provide a date for the info, or update it. Otherwise stop with your disinformation campaign.
    The 800K figure is a bit amorphous to begin with, as it was built on the assumption that the initial PlayBook build order was roughly 1.5 million with 700K shipped (per RIM) in the first 4.5 months.
    10-09-11 06:58 PM
    Wish someone with knowledge would post how many are still sitting around. I'm tired of hearing there are 800,000 sitting in a warehouse what 2 weeks or so? after the sales promotions started.
    10-09-11 07:03 PM
    Since the sales are coming to an end on the 15th (at least for staples), I am going to order one this week!

And im going to order some accessories from the crackberry store! yay
    10-09-11 09:56 PM
    I actually think the price will go down further.... not too soon, but by Black Friday, I think there will be some serious discounting.

I am hearing that HP is churning out some more Touchpads to clear our pre-ordered parts. I don't know how true it is, but it is gonna be a crowded holiday season for tabs.
    10-09-11 10:10 PM
    I actually think the price will go down further.... not too soon, but by Black Friday, I think there will be some serious discounting.

I am hearing that HP is churning out some more Touchpads to clear our pre-ordered parts. I don't know how true it is, but it is gonna be a crowded holiday season for tabs.
    They could be "Fire" cheap come Christmas shopping time. Then we may see a few sell.
    10-09-11 10:57 PM
    Seriously speaking there are 800k sitting in unsold inventory, more than RIM had actually sold since the playbook came out.
    There was never 800K Playbooks sitting in inventory.

What it was --- was that in last quarter's filings and conference call --- the level of RIM's profit margin went down. The reason why profit margin went down was because RIM has to buy LCD screens by the million and OMAP4 chips by the million in order to get the cheaper price and in order to get first priority (if there is a limited supply like LCD screens).

Then one Wall Street analyst tried to reconcile the profit margin with the parts inventory --- and came up with 800K Playbooks unsold inventory. But that particular Wall Street analyst made a glaring error, even if his math is correct --- the accounting only tells you how many spare Playbook parts in RIM's inventory. These parts don't have to be assembled into finished Playbook yet (like how HP has spare parts to make a second production run of the TouchPad after they discontinued it).
    Last edited by samab; 10-09-11 at 11:58 PM.
    10-09-11 11:14 PM

The general public has no idea of any promises or hopes. They don't care what was promised months ago, nor do they know anything about it. They just want a tablet at a good price. See TouchPad firesale. The majority of consumers had no clue about what HP promised, or how bad the CEO was. They got a decent tablet to read books on and surf/email.

It's clear the price drop generated sales of the PlayBook. The "promises and hopes" argument is for bitter PB owners who feel ripped off. Not to mention the comments about what RIM promised and didn't deliver are so played.
    10-10-11 12:24 AM
    The general public has no idea of any promises or hopes. They don't care what was promised months ago, nor do they know anything about it. They just want a tablet at a good price. See TouchPad firesale. The majority of consumers had no clue about what HP promised, or how bad the CEO was. They got a decent tablet to read books on and surf/email.

It's clear the price drop generated sales of the PlayBook. The "promises and hopes" argument is for bitter PB owners who feel ripped off. Not to mention the comments about what RIM promised and didn't deliver are so played.
    I don't think I can disagree.

It begs the question though... why do companies think they can sell $500 tablets? Apple is the exception, but I figure most would have learned from Motorola.
    10-10-11 12:27 AM
    Now with the Playbook sale @ Best Buy over in the US, there is no hope for international markets like Mexico or the UK to get discounts on the PB?
    10-10-11 01:32 AM

HP already churned out more Touchpad's about a week ago. Those units went into unfulfilled orders from OnSale (online retailer) and HP itself. OnSale limited its orders to only buyers with canceled orders from OnSale's Amazon store. Pricing was the original sale price $149 for a 32 GB Touchpad. No 16 GB Touchpad's were offered. HP put both 16 GB and 32 GB Touchpad's on sale again, but at $219 and $249 price points. They sold out within the first day. It's doubtful that there will be yet another batch as HP is reportedly having problems finding replacement Touchpad's for people with DOA units.

[I've been tracking Touchpad's since August 19th, when they first went on sale. You can verify any of the above at slickdeals.net.]
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-10-11 01:53 AM
    IMO - the so called 800k units (if there are that many) are probably in Tawain getting OS/2 loaded on them and will probably be re-launched as such at a price which will be higher than the recent sale prices.
    10-10-11 02:10 AM
    Ok, today was frustrating. I tried to buy a 32GB PB at Best Buy but it was at the regular price and they wouldn't match Office Depot which is one of the last BM stores to have the $200 off.

So I went to Walmart but they are at regular prices there also. However, Walmart.com had them for $200 off and they wouldn't match their own website. So I asked them to match Office Depot, but they had to call first to confirm. After they confirmed that there was no rebates or "gimmicks" and that was in fact the final out the door price, they still wouldn't match it. They said there had to be some "internal" promotion going on that they couldn't match. They couldn't believe that they were selling it for $200 less than they were.

Anyway, I made the longer drive to OD and bought the 32gb for $399. BTW, it seems that the prices are going back up. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
    10-10-11 09:39 PM
    HP already churned out more Touchpad's about a week ago. Those units went into unfulfilled orders from OnSale (online retailer) and HP itself. OnSale limited its orders to only buyers with canceled orders from OnSale's Amazon store. Pricing was the original sale price $149 for a 32 GB Touchpad. No 16 GB Touchpad's were offered. HP put both 16 GB and 32 GB Touchpad's on sale again, but at $219 and $249 price points. They sold out within the first day. It's doubtful that there will be yet another batch as HP is reportedly having problems finding replacement Touchpad's for people with DOA units.

[I've been tracking Touchpad's since August 19th, when they first went on sale. You can verify any of the above at slickdeals.net.]
    Thanks for the clarification.
    10-10-11 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD