I currently have the Bold 9700 for AT&T which I love. My needs in a tablet:
    -Ability to read docs like PDF's
    -Playing stored movies or streaming movies while flying
    -"Cellular" wifi
    -normal wifi

I know there were some issues with AT&T upon launch but im unsure if those were cleared up. Thanks for your help guys!!
    05-09-11 08:22 AM
    Current pbook got no radio. So its only wifi or tether thru your bb or thru mifi or modem.
    Can use bridge thru bb with a workaround.if no rush maybe better wait for 4g model, with separate data plan.
    05-09-11 08:25 AM
    Based upon the stated requirements of a tablet it seems the BlackBerry PlayBook meets the criteria.
    05-09-11 08:26 AM
    Of course it does.
    05-09-11 08:29 AM
    - You can read PDF's with the Native PDF reader.
    - You can easily play movies that are on your device while flying, or stream them if the plane allows internet connections or electronic devices turned on.
    - Cellular Wifi? You can tether to your BB for full internet access, except for App World.
    - Of course, it's the Wifi-only model.
    05-09-11 08:30 AM
    thanks for the prompt feedback guys, as long as the Bridge is functional with AT&T im happy, I dont mind paying extra data charge or whatever the current agreement is, as long as everything is functional
    05-09-11 08:31 AM
    thanks for the prompt feedback guys, as long as the Bridge is functional with AT&T im happy, I dont mind paying extra data charge or whatever the current agreement is, as long as everything is functional
    The bridge is functional, but being on AT&T, you'll need to get the OTA install for your phone from CrackBerry here:
    AT&T BlackBerry Bridge Download

Go there from your phone's browser and click the appropriate download link *(OS5 or OS6, depending on what you're running on your 9700). I've got it and it works pretty well, except for the bridge browser ... very slow and intermittent at best on the Torch, though many others have said they have no problems at all.
    05-09-11 08:42 AM
    You are lucky, you know what you need. I dont. I just go out and buy it.
    05-09-11 08:43 AM
    I currently have the Bold 9700 for AT&T which I love. My needs in a tablet:
    -Ability to read docs like PDF's
    -Playing stored movies or streaming movies while flying
    -"Cellular" wifi
    -normal wifi

I know there were some issues with AT&T upon launch but im unsure if those were cleared up. Thanks for your help guys!!
    Do not listen to those others,the PB has no "cellular" wifi and it has limited storage space for your movies. There are much better alternatives that are suited to your needs. The Android tabs specifically, you can find 7 and 10 inch screen sizes. Look around and check them out in person.
    05-09-11 08:44 AM
    Oh please dont mention bridge browser on torch. It burns.
    05-09-11 08:45 AM
    Do not listen to those others,the PB has no "cellular" wifi and it has limited storage space for your movies. There are much better alternatives that are suited to your needs. The Android tabs specifically, you can find 7 and 10 inch screen sizes. Look around and check them out in person.
    I don't believe anyone said it did have cellular wifi. I said you can tether it to your phone and have full internet access excluding Appworld. Limited storage space? I have the 16GB and I can have at least 10 movies on it including the 500 songs I never take off. There is also the 32GB and 64GB for even more space. He could want something that is easily portable, especially if he's flying, which would make the PB perfect. I'm not trying to discourage him from going and trying out these devices, I'm just pointing out that those aren't that greatest points.
    DrivenAgain likes this.
    05-09-11 08:47 AM
    Don't listen to the others? Who are you? That's pretty rude. How do you know what's better suited to anyone's needs? That's up to them to decide.

Read the OP's later post - he's ok with paying the extra tethering charges if he has to, and is mostly concerned with the bridge working on AT&T. Sounds like he's already done his research and is just looking for confirmation on a few things.

@OP, on that subject -- there is no additional charge from AT&T for bridging (yet - all they do is block the bridging app for your phone on App World!), but you would have to upgrade to the tethering plan if you want to tether to your phone ($45 for BIS, $60 for BES).
    05-09-11 09:10 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their tangible knowledge, its invaluable.

I dont need to store a ton of movies as I will probably rotate them from my home server, so the 16g should be fine for my usage. I know the PB is at its infancy and I can be patient with aps and updates to follow.
    05-09-11 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD