Hope this hits by 2012
    08-20-11 12:35 PM
    im pretty sure kevin has good info...it could always change but when he wrote it up it was true to his knowledge
    08-20-11 12:36 PM
    Dunder Mifflin 2.0! Dead Space should keep me busy for a while!
    08-20-11 12:36 PM
    Living in a society where is seems most can neither spell or do simple math without the aid of some sort electronic device, I feel the playbook would make the perfect teaching tool.

Kids could see they spelled the word wrongly, but would be forced to use their brain to correct it. It's also called thinking.
    While I like the concept - carrying it out on the pb with poor cursor control could turn into an exercise in futility. At least in the browser I can enlarge (pinch/zoom) the text entry area giving me a fighting chance of placing the cursor after one or two tries. Email does not allow the pinch/zoom and leaves me frustrated.
    08-20-11 12:52 PM
    iOS gives you plenty of chances to veto auto-correct before it fills in the word. It's a non-issue for anyone who knows how to use it.

You ought to actually try this before making up a tall tale. I just tried on three different versions of iOS, and they all corrected "fraglie" to "fragile" without a hitch. And note the little "x" that would let me veto the suggestion if desired.

Spelling Checker - Auto Correction - Apple iPad Forum

Read the OP.

First result if I google Ipad auto correction. Seems a lot of people hate it on the ipad forums. But of course on the PB forums it is the most amazing thing ever.
    sk8er_tor and LewLew23 like this.
    08-20-11 12:55 PM
    As much as I appreciate all the pressure on RIM to make it the best, I find it so sad that some members here bought this tablet early and complain about it. Every single review said to wait until later if you wanted the full potential of the playbook.

I bought this on launch day and I'm loving this badboy anyway. It's called an informed purchase. You never buy a product cause a company says its going to be amazing later. You buy it for its current state. As much as I'm optimistic about the playbook, RIM's promises to deliver a feature usually are kept, but they usually take longer. I don't trust RIM that far, I only trust their dedication.
    Wrong!!!
    They bought it expecting tthe pb. To get update - the big update- afterr 30 days
    They didn't get it!! And they aint getting it till fall

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 01:28 PM
    Oopsss *60 days

brento likes this.
    08-20-11 01:32 PM
    But with the 2.0 still it won't still sell well,n that's just it
    And the pb at best buys,staples who's gonna update them, many of them are in launch os in some cases noo demo video
    The screen gooes out after 5 minutes and they are stuck in a corner switched off,
    Pb isn't gonna be a success native email, app player or not

08-20-11 01:40 PM
    But with the 2.0 still it won't still sell well,n that's just it
    And the pb at best buys,staples who's gonna update them, many of them are in launch os in some cases noo demo video
    The screen gooes out after 5 minutes and they are stuck in a corner switched off,
    Pb isn't gonna be a success native email, app player or not

And you know this how? Oh I see - it's just your opinion. None of us have a crystal ball....let's just wait and see...
    08-20-11 02:03 PM
    Relaunch is okay for me.

But they should first fix some issues pb having yet. The browser with actual release is very buggy! Often get problems when watchin online videos. That never happend in previous builds!

Okay with no upgrades
    No okay with no bug-fixes

08-20-11 02:34 PM
    If you are too lazy to fix your spelling / typing errors than that is your business. No one elses. I think I type pretty well on my PB. I also know how to spell. BUT if I do make an error I backspace and fix it.
    Fixed it fer ya. Sometimes even the experts benefit from technology.
    08-20-11 03:45 PM
    Fixed it fer ya. Sometimes even the experts benefit from technology.
    "Originally Posted by Witmen View Post
    If you are too lazy to fix your spelling / typing errors than that is your business. No one elses. I think I type pretty well on my PB. I also know how to spell. BUT if I do make an error I backspace and fix it."

"Then" you should have fixed "than"! (g) I'm giving "elses" the benefit of the doubt! I, too, caught the to/too error. But spelling is one thing, grammar, word usage is another.
    08-20-11 04:25 PM
    Really??? This is where the discussion has led? Embarrassing...
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-20-11 04:36 PM
    I know someone that will be buying a PB just to get BBM if the rumor is true. I really hope it is because I really miss having this contact on my BBM.
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-20-11 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Don't want to deal with fights over grammer lol
    08-20-11 04:39 PM
    So in other words, what you said way up above is not your own experience with the iPad (big surprise). Instead it was something you read on the internet. You should mention that instead of making it sound like you know what you're talking about. I can tell you with a fact there is no way to coax the iPad into replacing "fraglie" with "erectile" (again see my screenshot), so that guy was making it up. That's the danger in representing internet information as your own.

As I mentioned before, there are plenty of morons who can't work the auto-correct. But look in the screen shot to see 1) how it does properly correct "fraglie", and 2) how you are given the option to approve/veto the suggestion. It's unfortunate this is a problem for some people. It's a complete non-issue for anyone with a brain.

By the way, there is a site called "damn you autocorrect" which turns this into a humorous exchange. But keep in mind that many of the examples there also do not work (i.e., it's impossible to get the iPad to make those substitutions) so they are clearly made up too. It's the internet, kids.
    Last edited by dfg912; 08-20-11 at 05:32 PM.
    08-20-11 05:30 PM
    So in other words, what you said way up above is not your own experience with the iPad (big surprise). Instead it was something you read on the internet. You should mention that instead of making it sound like you know what you're talking about. I can tell you with a fact there is no way to coax the iPad into replacing "fraglie" with "erectile" (again see my screenshot), so that guy was making it up. That's the danger in representing internet information as your own.

As I mentioned before, there are plenty of morons who can't work the auto-correct. But look in the screen shot to see 1) how it does properly correct "fraglie", and 2) how you are given the option to approve/veto the suggestion. It's unfortunate this is a problem for some people. It's a complete non-issue for anyone with a brain.

By the way, there is a site called "damn you autocorrect" which turns this into a humorous exchange. But keep in mind that many of the examples there also do not work (i.e., it's impossible to get the iPad to make those substitutions) so they are clearly made up too. It's the internet, kids.

Ohhh so we should belive the ipad owner on a PB forum that is only here to bash the PB over the ipad owner on a ipad forum that was trying to get help with his ipad? That makes perfect sense.

I noticed no one in the ipad forum called him a liar. Or posted screen shots. They accept that Ipad auto correction sucks. Why can't you?
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-20-11 at 05:39 PM.
    08-20-11 05:37 PM
    I posted a screenshot, which should be enough proof for you. But, please, go find an iPad and prove it to yourself if you doubt me. It's pretty easy. You'll see.

By the way, I have an iPad, iPad 2, and PlayBook. I think that qualifies me to be here and make educated/factual observations about these devices. That's a lot more than I can say for you at this point. Don't try to keep up.
    08-20-11 05:47 PM
    I posted a screenshot, which should be enough proof for you. But, please, go find an iPad and prove it to yourself if you doubt me. It's pretty easy. You'll see.

By the way, I have an iPad, iPad 2, and PlayBook. I think that qualifies me to be here and make educated/factual observations about these devices. That's a lot more than I can say for you at this point. Don't try to keep up.
    So why would that guy lie about it? Why would no one, not a single person call him out for lying about it? Makes no sense. But if a screen shot is what you call proof give me 5 minutes with Gimp and I could make a screen shot to support my argument. Its really not hard.
    08-20-11 05:51 PM
    Seriously, stop talking, go find an iPad (or iPhone), and prove it to yourself. No need to make up conspiracy theories or excuses.
    08-20-11 06:09 PM
    Seriously, stop talking, go find an iPad (or iPhone), and prove it to yourself. No need to make up conspiracy theories or excuses.
    From what I heard the ipad auto correct learns based on your use. So there really is no way to tell what that OP's ipad had learned. It may have learned to replace that word with erectile even though millions of other ipads hadn't learned to do that his might have. We wouldn't know. Just cause your ipad don't do it doesn't make him a liar.

I do find it funny your so determined about this. At the link I posted you almost every single responder agreed with the OPer that auto correction sucks. If you google ipad auto correction all you see is page after page of sites telling you to turn it off because it is annoying and explains how to do it. lol It seems like it is a universally hated feature.
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-20-11 at 06:28 PM.
    08-20-11 06:19 PM
    From what I heard the ipad auto correct learns based on your use. So there really is no way to tell what that OP's ipad had learned. It may have learned to replace that word with erectile even though millions of other ipads hadn't learned to do that his might have. We wouldn't know. Just cause your ipad don't do it doesn't make him a liar.
    That would be a possible reason, especially if that guy searched google with the word "erectile" a lot (poor fellow). However, I just added "erectile" to the dictionary, and the device still wants to correct "fraglie" with "fragile". Given that that is a much closer match by the criteria used, I just don't see how "erectile" would get in there even when it's in the dictionary. I just don't buy the story.

I do find it funny your so determined about this. At the link I posted you almost every single responder agreed with the OPer that auto correction sucks. If you google ipad auto correction all you see is page after page of sites telling you to turn it off because it is annoying and explains how to do it. lol It seems like it is a universally hated feature.
    Again, my original problem is that you passed of an internet tale as your own information, but it's easily disproven. There is a plague in the forum here where people pass off opinions about competing devices (usually iPads, but not always) in cases when they have no direct experience with the device. Could be hearsay, could be a tale, could be fanboy talk, or it could be related to RIM's crippled marketing strategy (i.e., who needs native e-mail anyway, who needs apps, full web, etc). You responded to someone citing a valid deficiency about the PlayBook's lack of auto correct, and did it with questionable information. I called BS. Don't expect to get off free when there are more experienced/educated peers around.

Plenty of people are stymied by auto correct, and plenty of people dislike it. I am not one of those people. When I use the PlayBook, I constantly regret the fact that it offers no form of auto correct or auto complete. It's a major oversight on a touchscreen device in the year 2011.
    08-20-11 07:26 PM
    I doubt the bifurcated-CEO at RIM read the Crackberry forum.

Anyone have their email addresses? Maybe if we all email them asking for PB 2.0...

Cheers!
    08-20-11 07:39 PM
    Maybe just learn to spell instead of using spell check as a crutch. Not saying spell check wont be a great addition, but come on.

Posted from my Playbook.
    Spell check is quite handy on a keyboard that doesn't have any tactile feedback. It is much easier to make a mistake on a touch screen keyboard than on a regular keyboard.

It's also handy to speed up typing. "Cant" becomes "Can't", 'Wont" becomes "Won't", etc... automatically. Saves having to dig around in the symbols keyboard for a simple apostrophe.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-20-11 07:40 PM
    From what I heard the ipad auto correct learns based on your use.
    And it caches all of your keystrokes to do it.

An example was the iPhone's keyboard logging cache, which was designed to correct spelling but meant that an expert could retrieve anything typed on the keyboard over the past three to 12 months, he said.
    How your Apple iPhone spies on you - Telegraph
    08-20-11 07:48 PM
    the biggest thing i have noticed with is that people can type faster than the the software can keep up with. So if you are chugging along you might not see the mistake until several letters later. autocorrect will correct those errors quite nicely most times. with physical keyboard i have noticed this doesnt seem to happen near as much and it seems.
    08-20-11 07:51 PM
167 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD