I do hope RIM considers throwing us a bone with spell check (and correct for the literalists among us) before October, but RIM's going to do what RIM's going to do.

It would be nice instead to have two or three, rock-solid, seemless updates over the next couple of months, but by this point, there are enough work-arounds available and the Playbook has been performing well enough for me that I can wait, particularly with new handsets in the interim to keep me busy and enthusiastic.
    08-19-11 11:35 PM
    looking forward to this update.
    08-19-11 11:41 PM
    My preference goes for regular, smaller updates.

If RIM gives us nothing from July to October, they better come up with an update that's worthy of the 2.0 moniker, including native email and calendar (which I'm not going to use but many people are expecting), a rock-solid release (not beta) version of the Android app player and dozens of major Android apps available in App World, ready to go. Let's face it, by then, the PlayBook will have been on the market for six months. It will be RIM's *last chance* to deliver the goods. If they can pull it off, it could give a new life in the marketplace to this great, great tablet. Unfortunately, at this point, I don't trust RIM to pull it off so I prefer incremental updates to keep everyone interested.
    kbz1960 and Daeve like this.
    08-20-11 12:10 AM
    looking forward to this update.
    Folks....is this not still a RUMOUR? I'm reading a whole lot of posts that seem to assume it's a solid fact, when it's actually speculation. RIM, as usual, has announced nothing. IMO, they could just as easily come out next week and say that the Playbook was a big mistake and no further work will be done on it.

I like my Playbook; there's nothing I want to do with a tablet that I can't do with my PB and BB handset [got a 9900 on the way! Yay!] so I'm keeping it for the forseeable future. However I am going to assume _nothing_ until I see it, or RIM makes a definitive statement on their plans...which so far they have completely refused to do. This fact leads me to believe that they are more afraid of committing to the future of the Playbook than they are of alienating their customer base. This worries me somewhat.

IF the Playbook is abandoned by RIM I'll be sorry, but really I'm not out much of anything. My Playbook will last as long as it lasts and then I'll move on to something else. It's entirely up to RIM whether it's another Blackberry device, or not.
    08-20-11 12:20 AM
    good point there DaveTheA, it is supposedly easy to publish something or a "plan" if it is feasible to happen or the "possibility to happen" is high... but "RIM's silence" tell us that "possibility" is still in "unlikely" stage...

I guess, there is nothing wrong to "speculate"... it gives us "hope"... but until it become "official", we should lower our "expectation"...
    08-20-11 12:38 AM
    but "RIM's silence" tell us that "possibility" is still in "unlikely" stage
    I disagree - RIM's silence tells us nothing....and thats it.

****, if it wasn't for the leaks, we wouldn't even be able to know there is a new BlackBerry Curve on the way - a phone that will probably be one of their BEST sellers.

Not a word that the PB was getting such a major release as Dead Space until the day of. For all we know, we could wake up tomorrow and we could have Kindle or Skype or Angry Birds or all of them. I mean, while you are right and Kevin's guess about the upcoming timelines may be wrong - for all we know, we could get the expected update this Tuesday and it include the Android Player or Native Email or they could release the Native SDK - but Kevin has more information, and more experience, so it is safer to trust his best guess, than to just wildly guess.

And the gross assumption that silence means something bad is just that - an assumption.

Until then, we go on what we get from leaks, and what the people here at CrackBerry, who know more than most of us, tell us.
    08-20-11 12:56 AM
    RIM is an established organization... they will not reach their status quo if it is based on "being silence"... my point is, it is easier for them to officially announce something on their plan that is intend by them to achieve - specifically if it is something to do with "continual improvement" of their product.. and "silence" in a well-organized organization means "safer" than something not "tangible" to be documented...
    08-20-11 01:34 AM
    I love the idea of a re-launch. When Tablet OS 2.0 comes out, it will address all the issues of missing features and bring some awesome features that the iPad2 will never be able to match because of its archaic iOS.
    08-20-11 06:19 AM
    I guess I'm in for the long haul even if I bit__ at times. If they get er done then great if they don't maybe I'll have a valuable collectors item like touchpad owners may have.
    08-20-11 06:54 AM
    I guess I'm in for the long haul even if I bit__ at times. If they get er done then great if they don't maybe I'll have a valuable collectors item like touchpad owners may have.
    The good things about Mike and Jim is that they are proud men. Contrary to admitting they made a mistake with the PlayBook, they will develop it to the point that it will be the most powerful and feature-rich tablet on the planet. Just wait for the QNX superphones. This will put all other tablets and phones to shame....just wait and see.

Remember, they have less than 6 months to prove it.
    08-20-11 06:57 AM
    As much as I appreciate all the pressure on RIM to make it the best, I find it so sad that some members here bought this tablet early and complain about it. Every single review said to wait until later if you wanted the full potential of the playbook.

I bought this on launch day and I'm loving this badboy anyway. It's called an informed purchase. You never buy a product cause a company says its going to be amazing later. You buy it for its current state. As much as I'm optimistic about the playbook, RIM's promises to deliver a feature usually are kept, but they usually take longer. I don't trust RIM that far, I only trust their dedication.
    I bought it know that these features weren't there, but also that they were coming. I saw Jim on CNBC myself say 60 days for Native e-mail and thought that's fine. I love the tablet and think it has the best UI and best hardware available on the market. I just want it to be finished so the platform takes off. You need sales and a base for developers to really buy in. And right now these missing, promised features are severely hampering sales. I can't expect developers to put their muscle behind something that RIM hasn't put enough behind. I and I think most of the early adopters who patience is wearing thing only want the platform to succeed. I know it will get there, just hate that RIM can't manage time/resources appropriately to meet there word.
    Kanuck34 likes this.
    08-20-11 08:36 AM
    Look at all the stupid typos in all of our post becausen the Playbook cant frickin spell check. We are losers.
    Living in a society where is seems most can neither spell or do simple math without the aid of some sort electronic device, I feel the playbook would make the perfect teaching tool.

Kids could see they spelled the word wrongly, but would be forced to use their brain to correct it. It's also called thinking.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-20-11 at 09:59 AM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-20-11 09:55 AM
    I was chatting with a friend who works at RIM last night about this, and all he would say is 'before devcon'. We're going to catch a Jays game soon so maybe I'll get more out of him then - beer helps...
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-20-11 09:56 AM
    I just hope they keep the bb spell check and auto correct and do not go the apple way of it automatically changing it for you and making it difficult for you to change it what you want and not what it thinks you want.
    08-20-11 10:05 AM
    Living in a society where is seems most can neither spell or do simple math without the aid of some sort electronic device, I feel the playbook would make the perfect teaching tool.

Kids could see they spelled the word wrongly, but would be forced to use their brain to correct it. It's also called thinking.
    Speaking only for myself, I think it's more about compensating for typing on a small glass keyboard than about not knowing how to spell.
    08-20-11 10:16 AM
    The Playbook does spell check. It underlines incorrect words that are miss spelled.

It just doesn't auto correct.
    True but this is a useless distinction.
    08-20-11 10:17 AM
    True but this is a useless distinction.
    If you are to lazy to fix your spelling / typing errors than that is your business. No one elses. I think I type pretty well on my PB. I also know how to spell. BUT if I do make an error I backspace and fix it. Seriously isn't an omg big deal. I agree it could be improved and I would like for it to be improved. But still I would rather have it the way PB does it than the way the ipad does it with auto correction. I don't want words to automatically change to something completely random just because I made a tiny spelling error.

I see some guy do that all the time on a forum I frequent. He will type a post out and it will have a sentence that makes no sense because a word that doesn't fit is put in and someone will eventually quote him and ask "what?" Then when he edits it for the reason for editing he puts "ipad 2 auto correction grrrr" or something like that. But he leaves the error and shows what the word he wanted to type was. Next time I see him do it I might take a screen cap cause its actually kind of funny. I don't know why he hasn't disabled it. I'm sure that has to be an option on the ipads.

What I would like to see on the PB is for the entire OS to use auto text. Bridge apps will use it from your phone. So why not let the PB have its own auto text dictionary?
    08-20-11 11:37 AM
    you shouldnt have to backspace it though. its a $500 device that should be smart enough to correct on the fly. having to backspace reduces your productivity a ton
    08-20-11 11:41 AM
    If you are to lazy to fix your spelling / typing errors than that is your business. No one elses. I think I type pretty well on my PB. I also know how to spell. BUT if I do make an error I backspace and fix it. Seriously isn't an omg big deal. I agree it could be improved and I would like for it to be improved. But still I would rather have it the way PB does it than the way the ipad does it with auto correction. I don't want words to automatically change to something completely random just because I made a tiny spelling error.

I see some guy do that all the time on a forum I frequent. He will type a post out and it will have a sentence that makes no sense because a word that doesn't fit is put in and someone will eventually quote him and ask "what?" Then when he edits it for the reason for editing he puts "ipad 2 auto correction grrrr" or something like that. But he leaves the error and shows what the word he wanted to type was. Next time I see him do it I might take a screen cap cause its actually kind of funny. I don't know why he hasn't disabled it. I'm sure that has to be an option on the ipads.

What I would like to see on the PB is for the entire OS to use auto text. Bridge apps will use it from your phone. So why not let the PB have its own auto text dictionary?
    Everything that we do is to make things more efficient; to take that one less step; to save that bit more time. Auto correct is a must, there is no two ways about it. It makes typing on the PB very VERY deliberate and tedious when you have to keep changing to the numbers pad to add an apostrophe or keep tapping to a specific letter after you realise that you've made a mistake a few words back. I HATE typing on the PB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FF22 likes this.
    08-20-11 11:51 AM
    you shouldnt have to backspace it though. its a $500 device that should be smart enough to correct on the fly. having to backspace reduces your productivity a ton
    True thats why I agree it needs improved. But still I would rather back space than have "fraglie" replaced to "erectile" as soon as I hit space while typing. If the ipad isn't smart enough to change "fraglie" to "fragile" than why bother?
    08-20-11 11:52 AM
    Everything that we do is to make things more efficient; to take that one less step; to save that bit more time. Auto correct is a must, there is no two ways about it. It makes typing on the PB very VERY deliberate and tedious when you have to keep changing to the numbers pad to add an apostrophe or keep tapping to a specific letter after you realise that you've made a mistake a few words back. I HATE typing on the PB.

If it is auto correct like it is on our phones than yes. Misspelt word gets underlined, you highlight it and it gives you suggests for the correct spelling. I agree 100% that the PB needs a system like that.

All I am saying is I would hate to have it like the ipads where if you hit space it automatically replaces your word to whatever it thinks you meant.
    08-20-11 11:57 AM
    If it is auto correct like it is on our phones than yes. Misspelt word gets underlined, you highlight it and it gives you suggests for the correct spelling. I agree 100% that the PB needs a system like that.

All I am saying is I would hate to have it like the ipads where if you hit space it automatically replaces your word to whatever it thinks you meant.
    I agree that the iOS system is filled with ridiculous suggestions for words. Even if we could tap on the highlighted word and choose the correct spelling that would save time but I want to see the system recognise common mistakes eg thr (the) thst (that) and autocorrect them. And word substitution like on the phone would be invaluable.

08-20-11 12:05 PM
    Kevin never clarified whether that's a speculation on his part, or whether RIM is floating him a trial balloon.
    08-20-11 12:08 PM
    Kevin never clarified whether that's a speculation on his part, or whether RIM is floating him a trial balloon.
    Kevin wouldn't have posted this if he wasn't certain about it.
    08-20-11 12:26 PM
    iOS gives you plenty of chances to veto auto-correct before it fills in the word. It's a non-issue for anyone who knows how to use it.

True thats why I agree it needs improved. But still I would rather back space than have "fraglie" replaced to "erectile" as soon as I hit space while typing. If the ipad isn't smart enough to change "fraglie" to "fragile" than why bother?
    You ought to actually try this before making up a tall tale. I just tried on three different versions of iOS, and they all corrected "fraglie" to "fragile" without a hitch. And note the little "x" that would let me veto the suggestion if desired.

08-20-11 12:35 PM
167 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD