Guys, sorry for bumping an old thread, but kinda need an answer here
    I asked my friend in FL to order https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=yBD2sNbU fore me (since it's cheaper), she will come at the end of the month
    One thing to ask, is this charger really worn out after several usages?
    Coz the reviews were so bad, talking about the 'spring loaded pins will fail'?
    What I want to ask, are those happening to all of you guys? Or only for some people..

Thanks for any sharing from u guys
    08-11-11 08:14 PM
    It does appear many people have issues with the chargers. I'm not convinced it's a case of units wearing out, however, so much as it is bad build quality and some units just being borderline to begin with. I mean, a borderline unit may work a few times, then stop working, but it's really because it was crap to begin with, not because (for example) the pins wear down or anything.

My cradle has a slightly misaligned connector, both twisted (very slightly) around the vertical axis, and angled very slightly around the axis running from front to back. As a result, about 25% of the time when I stick the tablet on it, it doesn't make a solid connection. Sometimes it will show charging for a moment, but then if I check again a minute later it's no longer charging. Removing it and reseating it more carefully makes it work.

If you're somewhat technical, I expect you can work around the issue easily enough, by twisting or poking things.

If you're not technical, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one "remotely" like that, without having someone reliable who can test it well before sending it on to you.

On the other hand, I think half of people with problems will show up here to discuss them, whereas 98% of people without problems won't say a word, so the apparently really bad quality may well be only somewhat bad quality. I doubt anyone except RIM has any idea how good or bad things really are.

I'm not impressed, but mine worked well enough that it was worth more to just keep it than it would have been to take it back to the store and try another one, or two, or three...
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-11-11 09:04 PM
    Been using mine since day 1 (April 19) with no problems.

Thought it was screwed up once but I had the pb upside down.
    dave_2611 and togardergrosse like this.
    08-11-11 09:25 PM
    Mine works fine. No problems and I've had it for almost a month now.

Maybe the people having problems with it are taking it off the base wrong? It says to tilt it forward to take it off. Maybe that keeps the pins in place. Or like peter said, maybe some were just built bad.
    08-11-11 10:10 PM
    I bought mine at staples and saved 20% on it with the coupon book.
    same here. awesome promotion staples had, buy a playbook get a coupon book for playbook accessories. love my rapid charger stand
    08-12-11 12:10 AM

If you're somewhat technical, I expect you can work around the issue easily enough, by twisting or poking things.

If you're not technical, I wouldn't recommend purchasing one "remotely" like that, without having someone reliable who can test it well before sending it on to you.
    Either way, make sure it's unplugged before you start messing around with the charging pins.
    08-12-11 12:54 AM
    I opened mine up and there wasn't much I could do to fix the pin issue without involving some re-soldering. So I said screw that and just jammed a paperclip into the hole repeatedly as hard as I could. It's been a little more consistent, but I still have to poke at it every few days.

It's a beautiful stand, but I regret buying it. Partially because mine sucks, and partially because I want to get an Otterbox.
    08-12-11 01:03 AM
    Be warned there are issues with this Mine failed after less than 10 charged...Small spring loaded pins stick.....Not impressed for GBP 50.00
    08-12-11 04:38 AM
    same here. awesome promotion staples had, buy a playbook get a coupon book for playbook accessories. love my rapid charger stand
    Mine works fine. No problems and I've had it for almost a month now.

Maybe the people having problems with it are taking it off the base wrong? It says to tilt it forward to take it off. Maybe that keeps the pins in place. Or like peter said, maybe some were just built bad.
    Been using mine since day 1 (April 19) with no problems.

Thought it was screwed up once but I had the pb upside down.
    It does appear many people have issues with the chargers. I'm not convinced it's a case of units wearing out, however, so much as it is bad build quality and some units just being borderline to begin with. I mean, a borderline unit may work a few times, then stop working, but it's really because it was crap to begin with, not because (for example) the pins wear down or anything.

My cradle has a slightly misaligned connector, both twisted (very slightly) around the vertical axis, and angled very slightly around the axis running from front to back. As a result, about 25% of the time when I stick the tablet on it, it doesn't make a solid connection. Sometimes it will show charging for a moment, but then if I check again a minute later it's no longer charging. Removing it and reseating it more carefully makes it work.

On the other hand, I think half of people with problems will show up here to discuss them, whereas 98% of people without problems won't say a word, so the apparently really bad quality may well be only somewhat bad quality. I doubt anyone except RIM has any idea how good or bad things really are.

I'm not impressed, but mine worked well enough that it was worth more to just keep it than it would have been to take it back to the store and try another one, or two, or three...
    Thanks a lot guys!!!
    Just got the message that it arrived safely at her place, really fast even just for a priority mail! (GO CRACKBERRY!)

The reason I bought it was to be able to watch movies while charging, and also to support crackberry (and it's cheaper to buy here LOL)

Really appreciated this!
    08-12-11 02:26 PM
    @togardergrosse, make sure to let us all know how it works out, initially and after a month or so.
    08-13-11 08:15 AM
    @peter9477

Would like to have my friend tested it, but she doesn't have one
    I will surely give info about it
    Hope it works well
    08-13-11 08:28 AM
    Hello all, I'm like others and don't like the HDMI/USB at the bottom of my PB. What I want to do is create an adpater case that moves it to the side. I'm fine with the USB and HDMI, in fact have some ideas about what I want to do there, but I'm looking for wiring information on the PB charging dock (3 pins at the bottom of the PB). Does anyone have information on which pin does what? Once I have this informaiton, I'll build my prototype and share the look and functionality with this forum.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light. Please feel free to ask questions if you have them also.

Ponch!
    11-04-11 11:23 AM
    If anyone is interested in following, here is the thread I'll be updating.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...65#post6825665
    11-04-11 01:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD