Just bought this @ the $199 price point. Some questions before I decide to keep or return:

1. I gather that the PB does not support apps such as Skype? If so, what similar apps compatible with PB can I use to communicate with friends and family abroad?
    2. I travel a lot and given this is primarily wifi, can I purchase an adapter that will allow me to hard connect to say a hotels high speed Internet connections?
    3. Movies - I like to download movies to watch on a plane when travelling etc. What apps compatible with the PB are best to download?

Being Canadian, I would love to support RIM but need to make sure this unit suits my basic needs beyond simply a browser. If not, I may simply go to an android based tablet that may offer more functionality. THANKS!!
    11-20-11 12:16 PM
    1. I've never used Skype but there are those who have found a way to make it work on the PB
    2. There isn't a hard connection but if there isn't wifi the bridge works quite well for most people.
    3. Movies can be downloaded and there are threads about how to do it.
    11-20-11 12:40 PM
    most hotels should have wifi connections nowadays.
    11-20-11 12:43 PM
    1. Skype via a website whose URL escape me at the moment. ePhone from Comwave.net and available in BlackBerry App World. Video Chat (native) but you can only chat with other BlackBerry PlayBook users.
    2. Hotels, motels, and even many bed-and-breakfasts offer WiFi access to the Internet. No need for an Ethernet connection.
    3. Video Player (native) work well for movie playback. To convert DVD movies to MPEG-4, for example, you can use Handbrake (free); I prefer the setting with 0 compression to ensure no artifacts at the expense of a larger file. If you have DRM-encumbered movies then simply playing them on the tablet might work depending on the region code - never tried it.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-20-11 12:47 PM
    1. People say they use AV by AOL - Let's video chat!

2. Hotels = wifi usually.

3. Threads are here about movies.
    http://crackberry.com/googlesearch?z...%20movies#1118
    11-20-11 12:47 PM
    @alyk
    1. We, the playbook faithful are waiting patiently to see what the update to OS2 brings us in February. Video from PB to PB is quite excellent, but we are still waiting for a more "cross-platform" solution.
    2. Don't forget that for those hotels that only use wired internet, you could always just bring an inexpensive, small wireless router with you (like an Asus) and just plug that into the hotel and connect the Playbook wirelessly.
    3. The PB does a really good job of playing many video formats natively if you just transfer them from the computer via usb or wifi transfer. Amazon videos stream well to the PB (though not on a plane without wi-fi of course!).
    Personally, I am DYING for Netflix and Hulu Plus support (along with Mog,Spotify,and Rhapsody apps).

All in all, I think you'll find the Playbook to be a really nice, well designed device, with a fantastic OS that you appreciate even more after running a generic Android device, and especially a dumbed down, locked down device like a Kindle Fire or Nook (though they do serve their purposes well, and currently have more access to media than the Playbook for now). PB is Quality hardware. If you bought it at current promotional pricing, it's a steal!!!
    11-20-11 03:41 PM
    Welcome to BB. Hopefully you will see the playbook will do most if not everything you want it to do. Just might have to play around with to get it to work the way you want.
    11-20-11 04:23 PM
    1- Support for VOIP app seem non-existent, but this may well change given the userbase is growing fast...

2- You should get a wireless access point if you travel a lot, hardwire hotel doesn't provide you with a firewall, a small access point will!

3- You either use their player, or convert with some converter, you can check there for a free solution (I hope external link are allowed...)

FAQ: How To Convert Video For Your BlackBerry For Free! - BerryReview

It's a very bad way of supporting a company by buying and returning an open product... but I agree that this platform clearly lack a good divx player, again this will probably change soon... It does suport quite a few format out of the box tho! and their OS2.0 android support is int�resting, but if you want android you better get a real one...

Just bought this @ the $199 price point. Some questions before I decide to keep or return:

1. I gather that the PB does not support apps such as Skype? If so, what similar apps compatible with PB can I use to communicate with friends and family abroad?
    2. I travel a lot and given this is primarily wifi, can I purchase an adapter that will allow me to hard connect to say a hotels high speed Internet connections?
    3. Movies - I like to download movies to watch on a plane when travelling etc. What apps compatible with the PB are best to download?

Being Canadian, I would love to support RIM but need to make sure this unit suits my basic needs beyond simply a browser. If not, I may simply go to an android based tablet that may offer more functionality. THANKS!!
    11-20-11 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD