hey all i my new playbook just came in the mail today and im super pumped but i have a basic question. Most portable devices require a full charge right out of the box which is significant to the battery lifespan, is it essential for my brand new playbook to be fully charged before use? will my battery life be cut short if i don't give it a full first charge?? thanks
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 01:45 PM
    No you don't need a complete charge before use and will not effect battery life. You do however need 20% before the PB will allow an update. Go through the setup then give some charge before you update.
    Willard814 and peter9477 like this.
    01-05-12 02:17 PM
    i did a full charge. always do. damn batteries have a mind of their own. i give it a full drain once a week and unless i cant wait i always let it charge until the lightning bolt is gone, not just at 100%. this may seem extreme to some but as a tech for a living i need my gear to work all the time, no bs. Using this strategy has always kept my gear's batteries in great shape.
    01-05-12 02:21 PM
    Don't know if you have to but I charged mine all the way up before using it the first time too. Didn't want it dying in the middle of the update process. Hope you enjoy your new pb!
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-05-12 02:30 PM
    I like to do the first update on mine without charging, if possible, merely because I'm a data hound and I like to see what battery level they're shipped with. I'd actually be concerned if I had one that showed 0% out of the box, since it could mean it was fully discharged and sat on the shelf for a long time, which could damage the battery.

Out of 8 devices so far, only one has been shipped with significantly different than 35-40%, and it was probably about 18% for whatever reason so it forced the charging on me. Was about 22% by the time I finished updating it, so no real concern there.

I plug in only if actually required by the update process, and I unplug as soon as it is updated and will let me, so I can see what the level is once the main screen first comes up.

As others have noted, there is no technical reason you'd need to do a full charge out of the box to "prime" the battery, or anything like that, though it certainly doesn't hurt either.
    01-05-12 02:45 PM
    When I got mine on release day I just plugged it in and did the update while charging.
    I was a kid (still am) with a new toy and didn't want to wait. 9 months later my battery is rock solid.
    01-05-12 03:09 PM
    I just plugged mine in to charge as I was doing the update. Of course, I prayed to the battery Gods beforehand and sacrificed an iPhone in good faith. But that's neither here nor there... So far absolutely no battery problems for me!
    01-05-12 03:38 PM
    allways do a full charge, best chance of getting a good cycle battery (although that didnt help the lame 9900 excuse for battery life) , however i opened my playbook up xmas morning put it straight on charge then went back to playing with the kids for a few hours, around mid to late morning i started the setup process including the update all while still plugged into the charger.
    the pb was fully charged by the time i started thr setup procedure anyway.
    I think the first charge with everything like wireless and blu-tooth switched off doesnt take long.
    01-05-12 03:49 PM
    thanks everyone for the reponses but i just ended up charging her up all the way just to be safe
    01-05-12 04:14 PM
    The hardest part for me is waiting for a new device to arrive and then having to wait again for it to charge up so I can play with it. Brings out the impatient child in me.
    01-05-12 04:20 PM
    I don't know if you really have to, but I always do when I get new toys just so I can jot down how long the first charge lasted so I can compare it to how long the charge last down the road.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-05-12 04:26 PM
    When I got mine on release day I just plugged it in and did the update while charging.
    I was a kid (still am) with a new toy and didn't want to wait. 9 months later my battery is rock solid.
    Yes, every device known to man/woman/child says you must fully charge before using. Yeah, right, like a new toy is going to sit idle while charging. My phones, my cameras, my kindle - turn it ON!!!!!
    01-05-12 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD