Hey guys, im thinking of using a combination of a gel case, screen protector, and the sleeve that came with the purchase to protect my playbook. Tell me what you think. Since i cant post links yet (!) both items are on the bestbuy website, the screen protector is $14 and the gel protector is $15.
    12-27-11 12:13 PM
    Well, I've gone the ULTIMATE protection by using an Otterbox. (this will probably be moved to the pb forums). The other day, some guy drove off with his pb on top of his car. It survived the right-turn-fly-off-roof with some minor dings in his otterbox.

I had trouble getting my naked pb into and out off the included neoprene sock. It might be harder with a silicon shell.

But there are tons of solutions and many accessories are reduced in price.

Enjoy.
    D_Whatley and curvezzz like this.
    12-27-11 12:25 PM
    Thanks, I ended up just getting a leather journal case/stand from targus.
    12-28-11 09:40 PM
    i got the otterbox case at best buy on price match for $40. rugged and solid. the front cover flips over and can be used as a stand. nice feature.

one thing i did do tho was buy a screen protector and put that on first. the otterbox does have a screen protector on it, but since it's not glued into place dust and crap can still work its way under the case and scratch the screen. having a screen protector in place solves that. small downside is that sometimes swipes from the bezel don't register the first time. i just blame it on my ham fisted hands.
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-28-11 09:49 PM
    For total protection....all together now....OTTERBOX, OTTERBOX, OTTERBOX. I purchased the OEM Journal case for looks, and the Otterbox for protection. I use the Otterbox 75% of the time especially when I'm just chillin. I also have a Zagg invisible shield for the screen
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 09:57 PM
    I'm a PB newbie, just got it for Christmas. I had a silicone case from Roots which was fine, but didn't protect the camera or screen, so I started looking for something else. Bought a screen protector and a leather executive portfolio (by Hipstreet) yesterday. The portfolio has a 3/4 zipper, card holders, and a holder for a stylus. It's tight to get the PB in and out of, and I can't use the rear camera when the PB is in the portfolio, but since I'll likely be carrying the PB in a tote bag at least it will be protected.
    12-28-11 10:32 PM
    one thing to note about sleeve case. the tendency to slip while removing pb from the sleeve, is there.
    D_Whatley likes this.
    12-28-11 11:29 PM
    bookworm, order an otterbox case from ncix, or print out a screen shot of it online and take it into best buy for price match.

best buy was $70. ncix had it for $50, but for some reason there were two listed and the best buy guys took the one listed for $40 and price matched it.
    12-28-11 11:43 PM
    I echo other poster's recommendation of an otterbox, the ultimate protection for PB.

I was sold after watching a crazy on-line video where a guy threw up his PB encased in otterbox 20 to 30 feet into the air like football and after falling hard on concrete, the PB still works without a scratch. Being unsure if this forum allows posting of third party link, I refrained from posting the link to that otterbox demo video

enclosing your PB in an otterbox is like encasing the PB inside a portable drop proof "safe".
    No doubt, we all tried to be extra careful not to drop our PB, leave it on a chair or away from drinks 99.9% of the time but I believe the otterbox will protect my PB that 0.1% of the time from cracked screen or spill drinks when I may be distracted, accidental drop, spills or sit on it.
    12-28-11 11:58 PM
    Ric01:

Please post that link - I want to feel even better about the Otterbox. But I don't intend to play frisbee with my pb!
    12-29-11 09:28 AM
    Otterbox all the way!!! But I may be removing the included screen protector and putting on a film one.
    12-29-11 09:34 AM
    If you're gonna use the neoprene sleeve that came with the PlayBook, I suggest you avoid the gel case made by RIM. It's a little difficult to get the device into the sleeve without tugging back and forth. That and the gel case attracts dust like a mofo!
    12-29-11 09:39 AM
    Otterbox all the way!!! But I may be removing the included screen protector and putting on a film one.
    that may be a lot of work since the screen protector with the otterbox defender is built in, not just included. it's a plastic face that is bonded to the top plate.
    12-29-11 07:19 PM
    Ric01:

Please post that link - I want to feel even better about the Otterbox. But I don't intend to play frisbee with my pb!
    At the request of F2.... here's a youtube video showing PB+Otterbox as a Frisbee falling on concrete ...this is crazy !!!!! but made me yearn for otter-box for my PB ultimate protection.

Moderator.. I am not sure if I can post youtube links... please let me know if I violated any rules and I will remove.. thanks

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EVw_5ejem20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-29-11 at 09:51 PM.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-29-11 09:48 PM
    i have to agreed with all the otterbox suggestions, but to me the otterbox box makes the playbook feel quite a bit heavier.
    ShotHimABox likes this.
    12-29-11 10:00 PM
    i have to agreed with all the otterbox suggestions, but to me the otterbox box makes the playbook feel quite a bit heavier.
    I totally agree with you njasmine.

Being Bulky is one of the downside of the otter-box. Depending on individual preferences, I am willing to forgo sleekness, good looks to letting my PB wear body Armour for full protection against dropping on concrete.

As I am only using my PB in my bed room and not the boardroom, I don't care if I look too bulky.

I love my PB because I can hold it with one hand and free up my other hand to perform other things like swiping, typing etc
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-29-11 at 10:12 PM.
    12-29-11 10:07 PM
    does anyone know how hot the playbook gets in the otterbox? it gets quite warm in my targus leather case.
    12-29-11 10:28 PM
    if it werent for my rapid charging dock, I'd be using an otterbox right now. Instead I picked up a bb branded leather sleeve. Its decent i guess. Spare otterbox i have is chilling in my trunk waiting to be united with a playbook. Maybe someday.......
    12-29-11 10:36 PM
    does anyone know how hot the playbook gets in the otterbox? it gets quite warm in my targus leather case.

not hot at all imo, my bb gets hotter in its ob when charging.
    12-29-11 10:47 PM
    i am of the opposite thought. miniaturization, downsizing and light weight of things scares me. i feel like i am going to break it by touching it. i like a product to have a bit of bulk and weight to it.

the otterbox adds that in a way i like. doesn't quite fit in the back pocket of all my pants now, but for most pairs yes. i take my playbook to work so it's nice to have total protection when i forget where it is and toss screwdrivers and pliers on it. the extra heft also feels better when i take it into a marine environment. i don't feel like i am going to lose grip on it and have it fall overboard off a boat.
    12-31-11 06:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD