Saw this in an article/blog in the Globe and Mail by Chris Umiastowski who is blogging from BlackBerry World:

"The Marriott World Center lobby bar is the place to be in the evening, and I enjoyed several interesting conversations. I had a chance to witness, firsthand, the enthusiasm of one Playbook customer who considers the BlackBerry Bridge functionality on Playbook to be so important that no other tablet is even worth considering. Who is this customer? A Canadian police force. They want all their cops to carry Playbooks and have in-dash mounts. No data on the Playbook can be accessed without a bridge connection to a BlackBerry handset."

Bar talk at BlackBerry World mixed on RIM future - The Globe and Mail
    05-04-11 03:51 PM
    Ok, let me see if I got this correct. Some guy chats up an enthusiastic Cop at the Marriott lobby bar during the convention, and somehow this enthusiasm translates into this cop supposedly wanting "all their cops" to carry Playbooks? Doesn't make sense. Lot's of red tape to cut through before anything like that ever happens on a large scale. But drunks at a hotel lobby I suppose can say anything...right?
    05-04-11 04:43 PM
    Ok, let me see if I got this correct. Some guy chats up an enthusiastic Cop at the Marriott lobby bar during the convention, and somehow this enthusiasm translates into this cop supposedly wanting "all their cops" to carry Playbooks? Doesn't make sense. Lot's of red tape to cut through before anything like that ever happens on a large scale. But drunks at a hotel lobby I suppose can say anything...right?
    Rudee66.........you are so funny........but so right!

05-04-11 04:45 PM

and what red tape are you talking about? do you even know the slightest bit of a police force BES infrastructure and how heavily integrated it is into various databases?

are you aware that some police forces actually dont have those huge laptops in their vehicles anymore because everything can be done on the BB?

and the fact they DO love it because everything from emails to voice notes that get translated to text and email (so they dont have to write out their case notes anymore, saving time) is done from the BB, meaning they get to stay out on the streets more instead of going into the station.

but then again, it seems you havent worked with a police force BB infrastructure, so you know everything from how it works to what they want.
    05-04-11 06:39 PM
    Its the Chatham-Kent police services. They're interested in putting them in the field to save time and money. No need to fill out paper work back at the station; when it's been entered on the Playbook in the field and transmitted securely through their Blackberry handheld.

Plenty of other industries and companies jumping on the Playbook bandwagon. From those using bes to those running qnx.
    05-04-11 07:19 PM
    are you aware that some police forces actually dont have those huge laptops in their vehicles anymore because everything can be done on the BB?

I'm fully aware that some Police departments are using software on their mobile phones to allow them to access law enforcement databases from their phones, but no Police forces currently are "system free" in terms of removing computers completely out of their patrol cars. Care to enlighten me as which police force no longer has computer systems in their patrol cars? I find that extremely hard to believe. I'm willing to wager that all of them still do.
    05-04-11 11:22 PM
    Hope they don't use the bridge browser...or we will be pulled over for hours.
    05-05-11 12:05 PM
    I'm fully aware that some Police departments are using software on their mobile phones to allow them to access law enforcement databases from their phones, but no Police forces currently are "system free" in terms of removing computers completely out of their patrol cars. Care to enlighten me as which police force no longer has computer systems in their patrol cars? I find that extremely hard to believe. I'm willing to wager that all of them still do.

Just to be fair to the person you criticized let's look again at what you said.

"I'm fully aware that some Police departments are using software on their mobile phones to allow them to access law enforcement databases from their phones"

The above statement would indicate some sort of inside knowledge as to such a practice.

"but no Police forces currently are "system free" in terms of removing computers completely out of their patrol cars."

So above you state unequivocally that this is the case.

"I find that extremely hard to believe. I'm willing to wager that all of them still do."

So here you reverse yourself and thus demonstrate that in fact you have no specific knowledge which justifies your previous statements.

I'm just saying....
    05-05-11 12:37 PM
    Just to be fair to the person you criticized let's look again at what you said.

"I'm fully aware that some Police departments are using software on their mobile phones to allow them to access law enforcement databases from their phones"

The above statement would indicate some sort of inside knowledge as to such a practice.

"but no Police forces currently are "system free" in terms of removing computers completely out of their patrol cars."

So above you state unequivocally that this is the case.

"I find that extremely hard to believe. I'm willing to wager that all of them still do."

So here you reverse yourself and thus demonstrate that in fact you have no specific knowledge which justifies your previous statements.

I'm just saying....

Huh? How is it that I "reverse" myself by stating that I do not believe any police forces are system free, and willing to wager that being the case? The third statement enforces the second statement. I'm simply refuting the statement "some police forces actually don't have those huge laptops in their vehicles anymore because everything can be done on the BB? ", that's all. Ok, perhaps their not "huge", but there still is in-car laptops and key systems.

It's one thing for a police department to have access to law enforcement data via their BB's (and several do). But it's a completely different thing for police to rely purely on BB's and remove computers from their vehicles all together. That's my point.

Also, your use of the term "inside knowledge" in regards to being aware of fact seems rather strange. That's just knowledge... Not inside knowledge. You don't have to associated with a police force to know this; it's public information.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 05-05-11 at 12:55 PM.
    05-05-11 12:49 PM
    Playbooks in cars are very much a reality. MDT's/laptops are not a reality in every service. Very expensive to implement. Playbook is a much more affordable alternative and will work very well. Let's remember the QNX operating system has just hit the general population but the possibilities are very exciting.
    06-29-11 05:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD