I couldn't find any threads adressing this so if I missed it, please feel free to link me.

Coworker of mine has a problem that when she connects her Playbook to her computer via USB, it is assigned to Z drive which is used already as a map to a network drive. It causes confusion and more work as we have to re-map the network drive. Anyone else seen this before. I am assuming it is a problem on the computer. I just don't know if it is with the driver or explorer or what. Help please!
    06-14-13 10:54 AM
    If you change the mapping, it should save on the PC and always go for that letter each time.

If it's not, then the PC isn't saving your mapping. Call you IT department.
    06-14-13 11:38 AM
    The Playbook is always going to map to drive Z:.
    So, if you need the mapped network drive while the Playbook is connected you will have to disconnect the existing Z: drive mapping and permanently map the network drive to another drive letter.
    06-14-13 07:07 PM
    I couldn't find any threads adressing this so if I missed it, please feel free to link me.

Coworker of mine has a problem that when she connects her Playbook to her computer via USB, it is assigned to Z drive which is used already as a map to a network drive. It causes confusion and more work as we have to re-map the network drive. Anyone else seen this before. I am assuming it is a problem on the computer. I just don't know if it is with the driver or explorer or what. Help please!
    I'm assuming that your talking about a windows pc here. Within the windows settings you can set a range of drive letters that windows can assign to network drives. The default is "Z" and some IT departments restrict that letter to "Z" to prevent unauthorised device connection. Try setting the pc to accept "X" and "Z" and it should work. Other than that it's talk very nicely to the IT people (best of British luck) and they may, just may allow it. Other than that they will fall about laughing and tell stories about your request for days with their IT colleagues. Your call.
    06-15-13 08:09 AM
    Just don't put "10" after the "Z"...

Not sure, but I have a feeling that it will probably ask you to buy one... if you still don't owned one...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-15-13 08:31 AM
    Just don't put "10" after the "Z"...

Not sure, but I have a feeling that it will probably ask you to buy one... if you still don't owned one...
    You likkle devil you!
    06-15-13 08:43 AM
    I'm assuming that your talking about a windows pc here. Within the windows settings you can set a range of drive letters that windows can assign to network drives.
    There is no setting for this. Network drives are manually mapped to the selected drive letter.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-16-13 07:10 AM
    There is no setting for this. Network drives are manually mapped to the selected drive letter.
    But you can also restrict the mapping on machines that are on a commercial network. You can tell it to use a single letter or a range of letters.
    06-16-13 07:46 AM
    Drives can be hidden fro the user but the mapping isn't restricted.
    ie: Map //company/crap to drive R: can be done but if drive R: is hidden users won't see the mapped drive.
    This is through the Group Policies but only affects people logged in through a server.
    I doubt chevee's friend is that restricted as they have the ability to re-map network drives.

If there is a [policy that restricts drive letter use I've never seen it.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-16-13 08:00 AM
    Drives can be hidden fro the user but the mapping isn't restricted.
    ie: Map //company/crap to drive R: can be done but if drive R: is hidden users won't see the mapped drive.
    This is through the Group Policies but only affects people logged in through a server.
    I doubt chevee's friend is that restricted as they have the ability to re-map network drives.

If there is a [policy that restricts drive letter use I've never seen it.
    If you talk to me nicely I'll show you how! I'm coming to Canada shortly so if your anywhere near key West I'll even show you.
    06-16-13 08:06 AM
    Crap. No, I'm in the Key East area.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-16-13 06:12 PM
    My PB maps to W: when I connect to my PC. X:, Y:, and Z: are already mapped to shares on my NAS.

Are you booting/logging in with the PB attached or connecting after booting and logged in?
    06-16-13 08:36 PM
    Sorry it took a while to get back. First of all.... I am the IT guy. It's a small engineering firm where the person with the most computer knowledge is blessed with the opportunity to administer information technology on the side.

To answer a few questions and comments so far:
    • It is a Windows 7 machine
    • I also have a PB and run Windows 7. Like my coworker, I am mapped to network drives using W, Y & Z. My PB shows up on X, which is perfectly fine.
    • As we a re a small company, we don't have a ton of restrictions on our network or computers. However, W, Y and Z are mapped universally through the company and many files reference other files on those drives using those drive letters so changing network mapping is not an option.

Can someone explain how I can limit the pool of drive letters it uses when connected? There's got to be something off for the computer to assign the PB to a drive letter that is already in use. Also, this is not booting with it connected. It is connecting PB after computer is up and running.
    06-19-13 06:41 AM
    Does the pb show as a drive that you can remove? If so can you remove it and then manually add it as a network drive and assign a different drive letter to it?
    06-19-13 06:52 AM
    It shows up as a network drive. So it is seeing it as a mapped drive. I am going to try something when she is in the office next time. Since it is mapped, the computer will map that device to the same letter every time. Evidently, it was connected to the computer at some point when Z drive wasn't in use so it is associated with that letter as is our network's shared drive. If I go to map a new drive I see that it has a \\<ip address>\media as the location of the mapped PB. So I will disconnect the current mapping and map to a new letter using that location to see if I can reteach the computer's association.
    06-19-13 07:47 AM
    i have got nearly the same problem with my z10. all worked fine. than i had to install a network drive on z: on my work laptop. since then it doesnt work anymore. i have removed the network drive. but when i connect my blackberry, it shows up as network drive (on z and the pc loses the connection after about 2 or 3 minutes.

how do i map the blackberry (showing up as network drive) from z: to an other letter as a normal device (no network drive)?

would be happy if anybody could help me. thanks.
    06-20-13 04:45 PM
    i have got nearly the same problem with my z10. all worked fine. than i had to install a network drive on z: on my work laptop. since then it doesnt work anymore. i have removed the network drive. but when i connect my blackberry, it shows up as network drive (on z and the pc loses the connection after about 2 or 3 minutes.

how do i map the blackberry (showing up as network drive) from z: to an other letter as a normal device (no network drive)?

would be happy if anybody could help me. thanks.
    Why don't you remove the Z and reboot keeping your mapped network drive as Z. Shouldn't the Z then add as a different drive letter?
    06-20-13 07:17 PM
    Why don't you remove the Z and reboot keeping your mapped network drive as Z. Shouldn't the Z then add as a different drive letter?
    I see you are now parting the Red Sea
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-13 11:24 PM
    I see you are now parting the Red Sea
    Plus
    FF22 likes this.
    06-21-13 05:23 AM
    First try this:

• Go to windows explorer with the Z10 connected. Right click on the Z10 drive and choose disconnect. Now connect your network drive and it should come in as Z. Now connect your Z10 and see what it shows up as. If it shows up as Z drive and your network drive disappears try the next step.
    • With the Z10 showing up as Z drive, go to the top of windows explorer and choose to "map a network drive". In the drop down box for choosing a drive letter it will show Z drive with a location in paranthesis to the right. Write this address down. Mine for example is "\\69.128.104.3\media". Now cancel this operation and return to windows explorer. Right click on the Z10 and choose to disconnect. Now go map a network drive and choose what drive letter you want the Z10 on. In the folder box type in the location address from before (i.e.- for me it is\\69.128.104.3\media). Click "finish". Now you should see Z10 as a new network drive. Now connect your other network drive. I have not tried this yet with mine, I am assuming this will reassociate the computer to the Z10 as the new drive letter designation.

I hope this works.
    06-21-13 06:33 AM
    thank you very much for you good and fast replys.

i mapped the network drive now to an other letter. the z10 is still on z. and so far, it works.
    but the z10 still shows up as a network location. why? shouldnt it show up in the devices with removable storage section? also under devices and printers of windows, it shows up in the section unspecified as rim network device.

how can i change this? i want to use it as a normal device/storage.
    06-21-13 12:04 PM