Alright so I was going to work today and was playing games on my daily commute. I was playing Dead Space on it for about 1 hour I guess? I used my battery to about 89% during that hour. Then I just minimized the Dead Space app and press the power button to switch off the screen. Then I placed it in my casing and into my bag. That was about 8:30am in the morning.

Fast forward to around 12pm. I hear this beeping sound coming from my bag. Thinking I got some notifications or something, I went to take it out. To my horror, my playbook was SCORCHING HOT. It was probably like 60-70 degrees celcius. I was mortified. And the battery had gotten to 10%. So that's a 80% drain within like 3 and a half hours? :O

It was still on when I took it out. I immediately laid it down and allowed it to cool down. I then unlocked my Playbook and found that the dead space app was still kinda "running" The apps menu was up and but the carousel was kinda overlaid over it if you get what I mean. I slid up to open the carousel and then minimized it again without closing Dead Space. I kinda wanted to know if it was Dead Space that made it overheat. After around 10 mins it cooled down really quick to acceptable levels of warmness... However I'm still concerned that the high temperature that my playbook was exposed to would spoil the battery somehow... I did not know how long my playbook was at that temperature in my bag.

My playbook usually gets warm while playing games like Dead Space or Asphalt but this is RIDICULOUS! I wasn't even playing it (Albeit the app was "running") and the battery drained within like 3 hours?!

I'm currently charging my playbook again and maybe I'll see if anything happens. Anyone encountered this situation before? Just to let you guess know some stuff I was doing on my playbook. The wifi, bluetooth was not on. Application behaviour is set to default, brightness at the lowest. Currently running on 1.0.8.6067 and have about 414mb of free space.
    12-14-11 01:24 AM
    I've encountered something like it, not in the Playbook, but in a Windows laptop. I hit the button to shut it down but closed it without waiting and put it in my bag. An hour or two later, when I open the bag, I found the laptop almost dangerously hot. Windows had crashed rather than the machine shutting off, and it was running in some kind of loop, with the screen bright and strange things happening on it. I had to hold the switch down 10 sec or so for it do a hard shutdown. After the laptop cooled down, I turned it on and it still worked Since then, I've tried to be more careful to make sure it is off before putting it away. With the electronics running full blast, those lithium ion batteries can really heat things up; and in an enclosed bag, the heat does not dissipate well and just builds up.

Sounds like something similar happened with your Playbook. With a little luck, it will, I hope, be all right.
    12-14-11 01:37 AM
    My playbook currently is alright. It was fully functional when I discovered it burning in my bag. The problem with the playbook is that we usually don't fully turn it off but rather in "Standby mode". It'll be rather inconvenient if I had to turn it off and then boot it up every time I wanted to use it. I was thinking it was because of my casing. It's a padded cloth kind of casing, so it kinda acts as a jacket or sweater for my playbook. But I was curious to why was it even heating up when I was not using it. From what I know, even though I did not close the dead space app, it was minimized and "paused" plus I placed the playbook on standby. I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software problem... This Playbook is new btw, I got it from DevCon last week
    12-14-11 01:47 AM
    i had the same thing happen on my laptop, a few times, but its a really tough laptop. never happend on playbook...yet
    12-14-11 02:06 AM
    This is making me worry a bit. As my PB is encased in the Otterbox and i'm afraid i won't notice the heat and just ignore it. Also, the possibility of melting of the plastic and rubber casing if it gets really hot.
    12-14-11 04:30 AM
    Why not just close apps before putting your PlayBook in standby? That is the most obvious and simple solution, especially in the case of system intensive games like Dead Space. There's not much reason to leave it running, especially if you're not playing it. Whenever you leave any app running in the background, it always uses some amount of system resources, regardless of how much the app is being used by the user.

Also, do you have your application behavior set to default, or to showcase? If you have it set to showcase, then that could explain part of why it was running at full force in standby.
    12-14-11 04:56 AM
    That's about 150 degrees F, and I'm not sure you did not cause some srious damage; assuming, of course, your temp guestimate is accurate. The Panasonic Tough Book Series Tablets and laptops can habdle up to 160 degrees F only when the devices is turned off, and while on, the operating temp of 140 degrees F is set as the maximum temp the Tough Books can operate in continuously.

As robust and superior build quality the PB is, I seriously doubt it could handle the temps you say it was subjected to.
    12-14-11 05:22 AM
    Why not just close apps before putting your PlayBook in standby? That is the most obvious and simple solution, especially in the case of system intensive games like Dead Space. There's not much reason to leave it running, especially if you're not playing it. Whenever you leave any app running in the background, it always uses some amount of system resources, regardless of how much the app is being used by the user.

Also, do you have your application behavior set to default, or to showcase? If you have it set to showcase, then that could explain part of why it was running at full force in standby.
    Yeah... I'll probably close apps from now on. I just thought that by putting it on standby, any open apps will be "paused". The only reasons for leaving an app running in the background will probably be because I would want to go back to it later... This might be the case for word documents or perhaps web pages that I want to go back to later. And while I expect some amount of system resources to be used, I didn't expect the playbook to be overheated to such an extent. Even when I'm playing Dead Space, the playbook would just get moderately warm at the back logo area.

What disturbs me is that there isn't a failsafe or anything too. Who knows if the batteries might explode from the heat or something. I know that the iPhone and iPad will shut down when they overheat. I had once left my bag with my iPad inside under the sun and it told me I couldn't turn it on till it had cooled down.

I've identified a few causes for this problem

1. Casing for Playbook - The heat generated from the Playbook was retained in the casing and could not dissipate, leading to the build up of waste heat.

2. Dead Space - The game continued running at full speed even in stand by.

3. Tablet OS - Did not stand by or put the app in paused mode.

4. Tablet hardware - Faulty?

That's about 150 degrees F, and I'm not sure you did not cause some srious damage; assuming, of course, your temp guestimate is accurate. The Panasonic Tough Book Series Tablets and laptops can habdle up to 160 degrees F only when the devices is turned off, and while on, the operating temp of 140 degrees F is set as the maximum temp the Tough Books can operate in continuously.

As robust and superior build quality the PB is, I seriously doubt it could handle the temps you say it was subjected to.
    I'm sure it's definitely around the 60 degree celcius to 70 degree celcius range. It kinda felt like touching a cup of hot tea. Not hot enough to burn you but hot enough to not let you hold on to it. That was how hot my playbook was. I could touch and hold it, but not for long. And I was surprise it didn't shut down or something :S
    Last edited by DarkwinteR11; 12-14-11 at 05:29 AM.
    12-14-11 05:25 AM
    This happened to me once when I played the SIMs game. Exact situation, a lot of overheating but I had mine on standby. Lesson learned never put memory hogging apps on standby, always quit them.
    My PB never showed up with any problems, although a lot of apps started quitting after the incident. I have the Battery guru app, which I ran for a few days following the incident and send it to support(Peter), and he had a look and everything seemed ok. If I had the battery app running I could have guessed the temperature, but it was more like 80-90F.

I turned my PB off for a few hours, let it cool down .....since then I turn my PB off every few days. It keeps the device saner.
    I also used to have the Incipio ultralight case on my PB, and found that it hindered the dissipation of heat when the incident happened. My advice to anyone playing games for long durations is to take your PB out from cases. The device lacks internal fans so the cooling mechanism is through the body of the PB...... extra layers is going to bottle down the heat.... not good. I dont use the case any longer.

Quit intensive apps, use Battery guru app, turn PB off every now and then, dont use cases while using PB for long hours on games...... that should make it easier
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-14-11 at 06:41 AM.
    12-14-11 06:39 AM
    Never put your playbook in any bag or anything else fully covered while running apps in the background.
    12-14-11 06:46 AM
    If you had Battery Guru running, you'd be able to see a complete record of your system temperature in the export file... might be interesting to see just how hot the tablet thought it was in there...
    12-14-11 08:48 AM
    I had similar happen a month ago, had forgotten about the incident as our Playbook ran fine after recharging. Rarely used the Playbook this month, I am online researching my Playbooks screen cracking without a known physical reason. Probably unrelated but you should document yourincident with an emailed complaint to RIM. Hopefully your Playbook is fine but if the overheating does affect Playbook screens you will be in a better position than I am to make a warranty claim.
    The strangest part is I was playing Dead Space also, closed the app but it was running faded with Playbook trying to close/standby when I looked at Playbook hours later...too hot to touch. I purchased Dead Space Aug 21 (Order Number: 1221190) as I'm certain people will doubt my warning to you.
    12-14-11 09:58 AM
    I had similar happen a month ago, had forgotten about the incident as our Playbook ran fine after recharging. Rarely used the Playbook this month, I am online researching my Playbooks screen cracking without a known physical reason. Probably unrelated but you should document yourincident with an emailed complaint to RIM. Hopefully your Playbook is fine but if the overheating does affect Playbook screens you will be in a better position than I am to make a warranty claim.
    The strangest part is I was playing Dead Space also, closed the app but it was running faded with Playbook trying to close/standby when I looked at Playbook hours later...too hot to touch. I purchased Dead Space Aug 21 (Order Number: 1221190) as I'm certain people will doubt my warning to you.
    YES! That was what I mean when I said "I then unlocked my Playbook and found that the dead space app was still kinda "running" The apps menu was up and but the carousel was kinda overlaid over it if you get what I mean."

It might be an issue of Dead Space but apparently not a very common problem... I'm planning to email them tomorrow and see what they get back to me on this. I hope it's not a defect or something :S
    12-14-11 10:22 AM
    Do report the incident to RIM also. The screen-glass may be fine at that temp, but the casing might not....the screen may now be held with a pressure stress that will result in your screen cracking during normal use. I doubt the screen has become 'embrittled' from the heat, but the interior of the Playbook would be much hotter than the exterior temp we felt. My guess, and I'll never be able to prove it....the high temp slightly warped my Playbooks 'inards' bending the screen...touch the right spot and it cracked.
    12-14-11 10:46 AM
    This happened to me once i'm running os2, i found out the culprit was pulse running in the background trying to connect to a wifi network to download stuff while i was out. PB got scary hot, so i changed the settings in pulse and always use android app killer, i also make sure system hogging apps are closed, everything has worked fine since!
    12-14-11 10:51 AM
    My playbook currently is alright. It was fully functional when I discovered it burning in my bag. The problem with the playbook is that we usually don't fully turn it off but rather in "Standby mode". It'll be rather inconvenient if I had to turn it off and then boot it up every time I wanted to use it.
    If you came up to me with this criticism I would be obligated to smack you with your tablet. I keep my BlackBerry PlayBook in a case all the time and before closing the case I usually switch it to standby mode though sometimes I let it go to standby mode automatically after a timeout period. Never, never, never has the tablet been scorching hot nor even warm to the touch despite keeping various applications minimized. Stop being a whiner and learn to use the tablet correctly

However, some games are known to cause high battery drain and in a closed space can result in heat build-up.
    Artnigma likes this.
    12-14-11 11:00 AM
    I had this happen to me once as well. Over the summer I had an issue with my PB bricking (there's another thread about this somewhere). Long story short, I was able to reload, but not restore it. So i pressed the power button, and chose turn off. Put it down on the table and walked away. About an hour later, just as we were about to leave, I picked it up to move it and it was REALLY hot! I looked at the screen, and while it was dark, it wasn't completely black, so clearly it didn't shut down properly. I did a hard reboot, and shut it down again, and it's been fine ever since. Weird.
    12-14-11 12:48 PM
    Yeah, I've read those "my playbook didn't shut down all the way" stories. Made me a little paranoid so now when I shut mine down, I actually watch the screen to make sure it goes to dark navy and then all the way to black. Lol - yeah, OCD but then at least I can sleep at night.
    12-14-11 12:59 PM
    If you read his question properly, youd know if it was set to Default or Showcase.. Wow, common SENSE goes FAR!! I think they should burn all playbooks anyways, just BS.. Its either that OR figure out how to make a micro cooling system for your processor and/ or DRAM.. Especially if you run it hard.. I have the same problem, I cant even touch the microchip inside it gets so hot.. Usually when im charging while i use the playbook this happens, I dont like to put the batteries through that stress but sometimes i need to use it while its charging, another is while i play games, sometimes not always, which i find strange, Id think it would every time. I have a magnetic Rapid charger so it doesnt take long to charge, its been acting up ever since that ******* UPDATE!!! Learn about your **** BlackBerry before you push it to the public to make quick money.. ******* ****TARDED SHIDIOTS!!!
    05-25-15 12:17 AM
    Its NOT because of a case, the WHOLE Playbook is a damn Case.. Sealed with hardly any ventilation. Blackberry just made cheap chipsets.. Maybe they should take some lessons from google team or Android, even Ipad.. LMAO!!! BAHHAAA!! Maybe they can build a time machine to go back in time and forget about Blackberry ALTOGETHER!!! Dumb C U Nxt Times!!!
    05-25-15 12:27 AM
    Thanks for bringing back a thread from 2011. Maybe if you have something constructive to say, feel free to start a new thread.
    Cracklen likes this.
    05-25-15 06:07 AM
    BS.. lol
    05-26-15 02:48 PM
    Dude, you are four years too late?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 09:40 PM
    It's a blast from a past...

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD