Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree2Likes
  1. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Is there a "need" for concern that the Playbook is out of stock at RIM? We "know" it is not due to high demand so what is going on?
  2. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    If the inventory has been depleted to the point there is no inventory it simply means they have sold off the entire inventory minus a few hold-back devices for warranty replacement. Where are you getting the message about "out of stock?"
  3. pragnesh89's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    253 Posts
    #3  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Yeah it says Insufficient inventory available for: PRD-38548-002 for me.
  4. kingbernie06511's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    610 Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Demand will remain low until BB10, publicity blitz and more apps/better image/brand appeal.

    Now there might be a 1.5ghz wifi version in the works....
    Jobs: the apps nazi
  5. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Uhhh, from RIM's website:

    BlackBerry PlayBook - RIM US
  6. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    If the inventory has been depleted to the point there is no inventory it simply means they have sold off the entire inventory minus a few hold-back devices for warranty replacement. Where are you getting the message about "out of stock?"
    RIM's website:

    BlackBerry PlayBook - RIM US
  7. Sriman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    RIM might have a better version of the PB designed and ready to be manufactured. However, they will probably decide on starting the actual manufacturing process after the response to BB10 is analyzed...
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
  8. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Quote Originally Posted by Sriman View Post
    RIM might have a better version of the PB designed and ready to be manufactured. However, they will probably decide on starting the actual manufacturing process after the response to BB10 is analyzed...
    Maybe, but should we the consumer not have available to us the "current" product until they "decide"?
  9. Kandoo-BB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn
    #9  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Guess I'll go ahead and buy a backup to my backup who wouldn't at the current sales prices.
  10. Kandoo-BB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn
    #10  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    I see 16 gigs available and for 32 and 64 this>>Out of Stock This product is currently unavailable but will be back in stock soon. Sign up here to be notified via e-mail. We will get back to you as soon as we receive inventory.

    Not concerned at all.
  11. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandoo-BB View Post
    Guess I'll go ahead and buy a backup to my backup who wouldn't at the current sales prices.
    That's the problem for me - I can't find a backup for my backup. Plus my son's PB is now "missing" (stolen is more like it) and need to replace his..
  12. SparkyBC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,224 Posts
    #12  

    Default Re: PlayBook Out of stock at RIM

    Walmart out on Vancouver Island (somewhere) got a new shipment of 32GB playbooks. They were out of stock for almost 2 weeks. So they do have Supply. Going to pick a few up for christmas,
  13. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,724 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pneumasax View Post
    Didn't you bother to read that they will be back in stock soon on the link you posted? Stop trying to create a non issue. WE are not concerned.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
  14. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bungaboy View Post
    Didn't you bother to read that they will be back in stock soon on the link you posted? Stop trying to create a non issue. WE are not concerned.
    First of all it was a legitimate question!!! How many companies had items "out of stock" and said they would be restocking and then discontinued the item(s). No one is trying create an issue!! So why don't you take a 87 foot fall off of a 80 foot bridge!!!!
  15. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bungaboy View Post
    Didn't you bother to read that they will be back in stock soon on the link you posted? Stop trying to create a non issue. WE are not concerned.
    Who is this WE you refer to?
  16. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,724 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pneumasax View Post
    First of all it was a legitimate question!!! How many companies had items "out of stock" and said they would be restocking and then discontinued the item(s). No one is trying create an issue!! So why don't you take a 87 foot fall off of a 80 foot bridge!!!!
    That be the bridge you live under?
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
  17. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,724 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Who is this WE you refer to?
    Ask the O/P. Was his terminology.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
  18. bungaboy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,720 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,724 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle
    #18  

    Default

    I see 32GB and 64GB units available at local Wally World for $148 and $219.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
  19. pneumasax's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLeggs View Post
    I am sure if you want one bad enough, you can find one.

    Jessica
    It is VERY unfortunate that shallow assumptions and accusations (including the one i made. My apologies for that) are appearing on this simple thread that posed an honest question. I have purchased 7 PBs and in the last month tried to find 2 more and have not. Whether or not I "want one bad enough" does not change its availability.

    Nevertheless, I have gotten a satisfiable answer concerning my original question and will now unsubscribe from this thread. Any comments directed at me and/or requires my response will not be seen by me.

    Shalom
  20. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pneumasax View Post
    This could be a good sign. However, the question remains will they manufacture new tablets or allow the product of run its course until EOL?
  21. cleacy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Out of stock is a good thing, seeing as they're being sold at a loss as it is. No more stock=no more writedowns. I'd be more concerned if they were to become available again.
  22. CarlJF's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Out of stock is a good thing, seeing as they're being sold at a loss as it is. No more stock=no more writedowns. I'd be more concerned if they were to become available again.
    Actually, RIM is certainly better to lose money and getting some market share than stop losing money and get no market shareÖ In marketing, itís something called buying market shares.

    Remember that investors put their money in RIM because they still have an important users base, not because the company is actually profitable Ė which it is not. If you look at the last financial report, what basically RIM tells to their investors is: we actually arenít making money but, at least, still have 80 millions customers and added another few hundred thousand new PB users. And these users will be happy to buy our new BB10 devices when we launch them.

    Also, donít forget that PB will be upgraded to BB10. So, this will be a fast and easy way for RIM to jumpstart the BB10 user base. RIM knows that as soon as BB10 is launch, they have potentially a few millions BB10 users that they can announce simply by upgrading the PB. A press release from RIM telling that, after only a few weeks, 2-3 millions people have registered BB10 devices, can certainly helps build some hype about the product.

    So, basically, for now, the more PB are on the market, the better it is for RIM. Even if it means losing some money in the short term. The long term bet is that these new PB users will become natural BB10 phone customers since they will already be familiar with system.
  23. Zildjian71's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    456 Posts
    PIN
    Just Pin It.
    #23  

    Default

    I have mentioned this in another thread and even got shot down a little but I think it still bares some reasoning.

    RIM is selling out the current stock of OS 2.x devices so that when BB10 is released for the PlayBook new devices for sale will have BB10 preloaded, which will include 7" and the future 10" models. Otherwise a new PlayBook sitting on a store shelf with OS 2.x would be a huge no no when customers are looking for a tablet with BB10.
    .
    To resist the influence of others the knowledge of oneself is of most importance.

    Teal'c on Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Episode 14
    ______________________________________
    Information Technology is fun, play with IT!
  24. CairnsRock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    867 Posts
    Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlJF View Post
    Actually, RIM is certainly better to lose money and getting some market share than stop losing money and get no market shareÖ In marketing, itís something called buying market shares.

    Remember that investors put their money in RIM because they still have an important users base, not because the company is actually profitable Ė which it is not. If you look at the last financial report, what basically RIM tells to their investors is: we actually arenít making money but, at least, still have 80 millions customers and added another few hundred thousand new PB users. And these users will be happy to buy our new BB10 devices when we launch them.

    Also, donít forget that PB will be upgraded to BB10. So, this will be a fast and easy way for RIM to jumpstart the BB10 user base. RIM knows that as soon as BB10 is launch, they have potentially a few millions BB10 users that they can announce simply by upgrading the PB. A press release from RIM telling that, after only a few weeks, 2-3 millions people have registered BB10 devices, can certainly helps build some hype about the product.

    So, basically, for now, the more PB are on the market, the better it is for RIM. Even if it means losing some money in the short term. The long term bet is that these new PB users will become natural BB10 phone customers since they will already be familiar with system.
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Having already taken a write down on pb inventory. To take an additional write down to make more, to sell at a loss, would be fiscally irresponsible in the extreme and possibly may be a securities violation.

    Share holders expect companies that they invest in to sell products at a profit. I do understand the premise about an investment to expand the customer base, but its best that customers want your product and are willing to pay a fair price which produces a profit. If they are not. Its over.
  25. Nogrentain's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    83 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    ^


    Please explain how Microsoft and Sony selling their respective gaming consoles at a loss for a few years is any different, and doesn't constitute a securities violation, whereas RIM doing the same thing might?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Playbook seems to be out of stock or discontinued at retail
    By claykin in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
  2. Blackberrys at AT&T - Out of Stock
    By jbzvdl in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 07:20 AM
  3. BB Models at AT&T - Out of Stock
    By jbzvdl in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
  4. Out of Stock at Verizon?
    By SOTK in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
  5. HTC TP2 Out of Stock at Verizon?
    By TvTechGuru in forum Other Platforms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions