Hello Everybody,

Yesterday I got my Playbook. During setup I got updated to OS 2.0.0.7971. Visited Playbook appstore and installed Wattpad (which apparently is an android app that runs on the integrated Android Player (not available as a separate app anymore)). Everything works all right except that it cannot see my WiFi connection and hence, cannot do anything useful. I also sideloaded Kindle, Pulse reader, and some other apps that run on the Android Player. NONE of them can access the internet (can't see the WiFi). As a result, I cannot even register my Kindle app.

Anybody having similar issues on the OS 2.0.0.7971? Please suggest what I should do to fix these. Without the Kindle app, the whole Playbook thing kinda becomes pointless to me :-(

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
    Aditya
    03-09-12 01:39 AM
    i have an issue with wifi for some of my android app, like messenger and online radio.
    03-09-12 03:48 AM
    Hi there,

i've just seen your message and i'm currently connected on my Kindle,i can read my online book,i can go search on store....
    what is exactly your issue?more a wifi issue.Can you see the wifi spots around you?did you made something on your wifi settings?

Rgds,
    03-09-12 04:05 AM
    I think the pb android player have some problem in detecting current connectivity states
    03-09-12 04:22 AM
    @AfroLoGeek: I wish I could do the same with Kindle. On my Playbook, ALL apps (native playbook apps) see the WiFi (those that require it). Only the apps that run under the integrated Android Player can't see the WiFi (or maybe see the WiFi but cannot go online... either way, the effect for me is the same). Examples being Wattpad(downloaded from Playbook Appstore), Kindle (sideloaded), PewPew(game, when asked to get online scores, can't go online. Otherwise it works perfectly. This was also installed via Playbook Appstore).

One more thing: Are you on OS 2.0.0.7971?
    Last edited by adityablaze; 03-09-12 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Just remembered to ask
    03-09-12 04:47 AM
    @xDragonZ: I think so too. Can you point me to any solution or workaround to this issue?
    03-09-12 04:49 AM
    Can you let me know your isp and the router details? Also if possible please check the date time of your router and post the same.
    03-09-12 07:20 AM
    @pbuser_pbuser: I am not sure how that info might be of any help since the apps running under android player do not even seem to get to the point of recognizing the WiFi connection. But in any case, my ISP is BSNL (DataOne broadband), and the router is a Huawei router. Been using it for about 5 years now (perhaps longer...)
    03-09-12 08:39 AM
    @xDragonZ: I think so too. Can you point me to any solution or workaround to this issue?
    Sorry currently I don't have any workaround. I have tested my android app on PB, result still the same. Unless the android app is optimized for playbook
    Last edited by xDragonZ; 03-09-12 at 09:37 AM.
    03-09-12 09:34 AM
    @aditya - actually that is what i suspected and is of lot of help. The dataone routers given by bsnl are old ones. The problem with those are that the router date gets set to something in 2005. Hence for some reason the andriod player doesn't see the network. All you have to do is to change your router and the problem would be solved. I dont know whether its an andriod problem, rim problem or someone else. I had the same problem and no one could suggest any other solution. Let me know if a different router works for you or not. Actually just take your pb to a friend's place and test. It will work.
    adityablaze likes this.
    03-09-12 10:00 PM
    @pbuser_pbuser: Wow! I just setup my android phone as an access point and all my android apps on the playbook are able to access the internet! THANK YOU. I would never have been able to figure that out by myself (maybe accidentally, but never by myself).

That really helps me a lot. I just registered my Kindle app on playbook, and suddenly the Playbook makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks again.
    03-10-12 12:29 AM
    Glad I could be of help Enjoy your playbook. It's one of the best gadgets around.
    03-10-12 03:35 AM
    Unfortunately, I have 4 routers, two linksys, one edimax and my iphone and the Android player still cannot see the network. So my guess is that the problem is deeper than this. My newest router in two months old and I checked the date on it and is correct.

Any other thoughts? Thank you for your help.
    04-13-12 02:47 AM
    My PB who is 64GB model has this Android player issue. I try to connect through Bb phone bridge. No luck. My wife's 16GB model does not have it. What is wrong here?
    Last edited by majorusa; 04-13-12 at 03:35 AM.
    04-13-12 03:27 AM
    I solved the issue. It is simple. I made a back-up of the tablet data, settings and apps and performed a security wipe. Now everything is back to normal and all Android apps can connect to the internet. The only drawback is that the whole process took half a day.
    04-14-12 05:48 PM
    Im having the same problem. A number of side loaded alps such as vlc can't connect to wifi. I have a new netgear router so that's not the problem. Bridging makes no difference. I think there maybe. A problem with the android emulator affecting connectivity or the converted bars. Is this issue widespread? If so, having to make do android converted bar files in the application store might not be a good option. Either the emulator needs work or rim should accept only native apps to the store. Selling poorly functioning apps is a bad idea.
    04-17-12 08:18 AM
    Im having the same problem. A number of side loaded alps such as vlc can't connect to wifi. I have a new netgear router so that's not the problem. Bridging makes no difference. I think there maybe. A problem with the android emulator affecting connectivity or the converted bars. Is this issue widespread? If so, having to make do android converted bar files in the application store might not be a good option. Either the emulator needs work or rim should accept only native apps to the store. Selling poorly functioning apps is a bad idea.
    have u been able to solve the problem, as i'm facing it too
    10-14-12 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD