I was at local Future Shop this afternoon picking up a case for ZED 10. I had a lengthy discussion with a BB Marketing rep and software geek. This did confirm what Thors said in the launch was closer to truthful than what has rumoured here. Late march for a update to PlayBook OS, as to what it will contain they could say but didn't deny the email, BBM or other functionality previously available.

CB Bubba
    02-06-13 09:25 PM
    Lets' put it in this way... if some information came from a Marketing Rep or Software Geek (no matter how geek he is), that could be categorized as "rumor"...

Now, if the information is coming from a VP Developer Relations of BlackBerry, such as Mr. Alec Saunders, that cannot be considered as "rumor"... and according to him, the current PlayBook will be upgraded or updated to BB10 later this year...

Misinformation will only lead to more disappointments...
    Papaguan, NoraMelua and jegs2 like this.
    02-07-13 12:19 AM
    March is later this year. #justsaying
    numbersboy and IqWaN like this.
    02-07-13 02:15 AM
    It won't be March, here's why.

BBJam Europe just took place this week. BlackBerry updated the development tools to support keyboard devices and the Q10 screen resolution. There was no update that included support for PlayBook. That would need to be done before releasing the the public or all those great Z10 apps being released right now wouldn't work on your PlayBook. If they were that close to releasing BB10 for PB there would have been some mention at BBJam. Thats just my thoughts take it for what it's worth.
    02-07-13 07:51 AM
    Yet another thread for this? I guess no point in responding to thread posts any longer, every reply to a subject should just be a new thread.
    02-07-13 08:03 AM
    How do you know that a simple fix the Bridge problem wont be ready? It is really amazing people that post here know so much.
    02-07-13 08:04 AM
    Joshua_SX1, we all have our contacts and I also have mine. This was said open, in the public, with others discussing this as well. How do you this is Disinformation? Give me a break man, I worked at that place for many years know the internal workings and the fact many different teams are working on improvements to the products.

CCB
    02-07-13 08:06 AM
    Maybe the pb will get BB9 and not BB10?
    02-07-13 08:07 AM
    I disagree with Kevin post saying that BB10 isn't compatible with the PlayBook.
    As a normal computer the PlayBook can have the screen resolution changed, that's actually pretty easy to do, even few crappy Android tablets can do that with a custom ROM, so why the PB can't do it too? It's pointless.
    Also, since it can get a different resolution it's very possible that the same Apps present on the Z10 are compatible with the PlayBook, and let's not forget that the webworks apps are naturally resizable.
    The Z10 needs more memory and CPU because they have more processes to handle, like SMS, Calls, 3G/4G/EDGE/GSM/HSPA, this may sound simple but it's not also BlackBerry was forced to do it because the market competition.
    And the Z10 with few apps open barely reach 1GB of used memory, cutting few useless processes for PlayBook it will run smoothly.
    The PlayBook already RUN the QNX in it, the BB10 is the same, just with few differences.
    The external PB hardware support the Peek command.
    It have 2 cameras like the Z10, the flashing LED and the same hardware buttons(Volume, mute)
    So until now, i see no reason that BB10 isn't compatible with the PlayBook.
    luke.trevorrow likes this.
    02-07-13 08:47 AM
    Joshua_SX1, we all have our contacts and I also have mine. This was said open, in the public, with others discussing this as well. How do you this is Disinformation? Give me a break man, I worked at that place for many years know the internal workings and the fact many different teams are working on improvements to the products.

CCB
    Well, again, between someone working from retailer or outlet store and somebody working in BlackBerry (not to mention holding higher position), whom would you believe?... people are getting frustrated for something they are waiting for and not coming soon... add "tomorrow" or "next week" or even "next month", and you add the flame...

Let's content with what the VP Developer Relations, BlackBerry had said i.e. later this year... and wait for any positive development...
    02-07-13 11:35 AM
    Blackberrydev said all Cascades apps will work on the PlayBook as soon as it gets BB10...later this year.

I also highly doubt that it will be released in March. Maybe he's talking about the beta. March beta - May release will be best case scenario.
    02-07-13 02:20 PM
    Wasn't there multiple betas months before the 2.0 release? Is there any reason it would be different this time around?
    02-08-13 03:35 PM
    there were more unfounded rumors about a bb10 playbook beta too...why do i even go to these kinds of threads anymore
    02-08-13 03:58 PM
    Yet another thread for this? I guess no point in responding to thread posts any longer, every reply to a subject should just be a new thread.
    Don't look now, but you replied.
    02-08-13 04:26 PM
    Dammit, couldn't help myself - I looked - and you're right! They did reply!

Swines...
    StanWiz likes this.
    02-08-13 04:39 PM
    We need a sticky for posting "front line" cell shop representative rumours
    bbaleno and rotorwrench like this.
    02-08-13 08:18 PM
    Yeah, but I started another thread for it.
    02-09-13 01:44 AM
    I think Feb/2013 maybe update for Playbook.
    already passed I guess...
    :banghead:
    02-09-13 02:29 AM
    It won't be March, here's why.

BBJam Europe just took place this week. BlackBerry updated the development tools to support keyboard devices and the Q10 screen resolution. There was no update that included support for PlayBook. That would need to be done before releasing the the public or all those great Z10 apps being released right now wouldn't work on your PlayBook. If they were that close to releasing BB10 for PB there would have been some mention at BBJam. Thats just my thoughts take it for what it's worth.
    I concur

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 05:00 AM
    I disagree with Kevin post saying that BB10 isn't compatible with the PlayBook.
    As a normal computer the PlayBook can have the screen resolution changed, that's actually pretty easy to do, even few crappy Android tablets can do that with a custom ROM, so why the PB can't do it too? It's pointless.
    Also, since it can get a different resolution it's very possible that the same Apps present on the Z10 are compatible with the PlayBook, and let's not forget that the webworks apps are naturally resizable.
    The Z10 needs more memory and CPU because they have more processes to handle, like SMS, Calls, 3G/4G/EDGE/GSM/HSPA, this may sound simple but it's not also BlackBerry was forced to do it because the market competition.
    And the Z10 with few apps open barely reach 1GB of used memory, cutting few useless processes for PlayBook it will run smoothly.
    The PlayBook already RUN the QNX in it, the BB10 is the same, just with few differences.
    The external PB hardware support the Peek command.
    It have 2 cameras like the Z10, the flashing LED and the same hardware buttons(Volume, mute)
    So until now, i see no reason that BB10 isn't compatible with the PlayBook.
    It may be compatible, but it may also run like arse. BlackBerry is all about the user experience now. Not saying it won't be here, just putting it out there.
    02-09-13 05:42 AM
    02-25-13 10:58 AM
    I've just heard from my pal who's in the know that I will also get an update for my 5810! What about that then boys? Not been waiting long have I?
    02-25-13 11:09 AM
    Moving the OS 10 over to the playbook will positively change the sales for blackberry in terms of the tablet. Just how the Ipads and new Iphone 5 are share the same IOS 6 software, making their app database so successful with such high demand. We need all the apps and games released for blackberry 10 such as asphalt 7, NOVA 3 and Modern Combat 4. It is agreeable that playbook owners deserve it we have been holding on this long as committed users with app purchasing and branding it is time they started looking over our needs as well or else what is the point of moving forward and going with the new z10 or q10 if we are not going to receive blackberry's full support. #COMMON' RIM !!!!
    02-25-13 12:45 PM