Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. kha
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Playbook and older blackberries with bridge

I have heard internet speeds are quite slow when bridged with os7 and below.

I have a Torch 9800, will internet surfing be unbearable? Its pretty poor on the phone itself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    PIN
    a collada

I would say it depends on your carrier rather than the model of the phone itself. I also have the Torch 9800 and had it bridge to my playbook for quite sometime. I have yet to experience any significant connection issues unless the 3G coverage drops out. I can stream YouTube while on bridge seamlessly. There are times when the browser doesn't seem to load a page properly but I believe it is more of the problem with the browser. Hope this helps

Sent from my PlayBook using Tapatalk
    minimalist is my principle..simplicity is my virtue
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2AA6XXXX

I agree with doc here...I use my wife's Curve 8330 on occassion, and it works just as fast as wi-fi, and that's with Sprint.
    If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier

Support: www.woundedwarriorproject.org

We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.
    CrackBerry User

I've used a bridged 8520 with an EDGE network connection successfully. It is a little slower than the 3G from my Bold but very usable when no other connection is available. I'm actually using the bridged 8520 at the moment to login to crackberry via the PlayBook app and it's reasonably quick.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    16,081 Global Posts

I have a 9650 bridged to my PlayBook and the speed of the bridge browser has increased since the initial release of the PlayBook. It's much much faster now than it was in May, almost as fast as wifi as long as my carrier signal is good. I'm with Sprint, and I get excellent coverage in the areas I frequent
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    PIN
    24F1671B

Bold 9000 OS5.0.X
    No problems. I keep Bridge on for emails. If I lack access to wifi and need to use anything Internet related, I turn on 3G on my Bold and I suffer no problems.
    BlackBerry 8900< BlackBerry 9000+BlackBerry 8100< BlackBerry 6210 (Dont ask)<BB 9000< BlackBerry Z10!

Proud BlackBerry PlayBook owner.
    Proud BlackBerry Z10 running BlackBerry 10 owner.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Only issue with bridge for me is that twitter won't work. Idk if it has anything to do with me being logged into the app on my phone...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    me down baby!

my power at my house went out a while back, no wifi, so all i had here was my pb and torch 9800, bridge was a life saver. speed was pretty much par with my pc which i use 90% of the time.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpf3YGK66GM[/yt]

@pcguy514 lemma for twitter works over bridge.
    Nokia ?? -> SE W580i -> BB 8320 -> BB 9800 -> BB Z10 ->Z30
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

I was bridged with the 9530 (storm), it worked ok. I upgraded to the 9860 (torch) and honestly I cannot tell the difference in surfing via bridge, so I would agree that it is your carrier and not just the phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

I went from the 9800 to the 9810. The 9800 was 3G and the 9810 is 3G+ on the 4G network.

Everything is much faster on the 9810. Web browsing on the playbook through bridge is much faster. I now enjoy web surfing on the phone (the 9800 was slow). Pinch zoom is lag free (excellent). The pages load much faster.

If you need the best experience get an OS7 phone on a 3G+ network
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,238 Global Posts

I found my torch is faster than my tour was. Bridge is only slightly slower than tethering for me and it isn't what I would call slow all though I'm sure my carrier has something to do with it also. Definitely not wifi speed but not bad either.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kha View Post
    I have heard internet speeds are quite slow when bridged with os7 and below.
    What else is there?
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by anthogag View Post
    I went from the 9800 to the 9810. The 9800 was 3G and the 9810 is 3G+ on the 4G network.

Everything is much faster on the 9810. Web browsing on the playbook through bridge is much faster. I now enjoy web surfing on the phone (the 9800 was slow). Pinch zoom is lag free (excellent). The pages load much faster.

If you need the best experience get an OS7 phone on a 3G+ network
    I've had the exact same experience.
    Ain't no rocket scientists in the fire hall
    9500 > 9550 > 9800 > 9810 > 9900

32g Playbook + 16g Playbook + 64g Playbook