I am seeking some guidance on setting up a playbook for in-vehicle off road mapping and Navigation. Common and popular setups use Android and ios tablets. It seems that all available apps and gps navigation systems are not developed for BB. I would like to setup up a playbook for gps/nav and mapping in my off road toy. There are very good deals for playbooks on-line or even big box stores but I don't know if using a Playbook for this purpose is realistic. I don't really want to give in to ios or android if I don't have to. Being different is where it;s at for me. lol. So I anxiously await info from those that can enlighten me.

Ken:
    05-05-14 11:18 AM
    What Big Box Store still has PlayBooks?

There are some threads on how to do this with a PlayBook - Magellan Compass Maps is one that allows you to cache your route. But once in the wild you are limited to what you downloaded...... But you'll also find many threads about issues with the PlayBook's GPS not being the "best" - kills the battery, get stuck and require a reboot, takes a long time to lock-in when you first start the GPS (no a-GPS). Go search for PlayBook and GPS and then deiced for yourself how important it is that it work. Might be for $100 you can find something more dependable....

05-05-14 11:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply scalemaster34. I did go and do what I should have done first, ie: do a search for god's sake ...duh. and of course there it is ... pretty much all the info I need. Thks again.
    Ken
    05-05-14 01:06 PM
    several geocaching apps on blackberry world and try osmand free and navigator if you are happy to pay for an app as both cache the maps on the device so don't need a connection. plus the maps are actually very good and the screen stays on.

I bought navigator and magellan compass but haven't had the need to properly test the navigation part but have used them track my route when walking to set up geocaches for scout troops.

if you tether the playbook to a phone using bluetooth then you can use google maps, outdoor navigator and back country navigator as well all free from bb world.
    05-05-14 02:20 PM
    I use Google Maps 6.2.0. Available for sideload, as featured on PlayBook UK

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    05-05-14 02:46 PM
    I had good luck with Nogago but have not tried it with geocaching!
    05-05-14 06:28 PM
    if you tether the playbook to a phone using bluetooth then you can use google maps, outdoor navigator and back country navigator as well all free from bb world.
    I searched BB World for both "outdoor navigator" and "back country navigator" and cannot seem to find either one?
    05-05-14 11:25 PM
    Playbook Is not the ideal tool for your situation. Playbook is an excellent tablet and I still use mine everyday but truth be told, the GPS is not good. It has a lot of trouble finding and maintaining satellite connections.

Posted via CB10
    kedi likes this.
    05-06-14 01:10 AM
    I searched BB World for both "outdoor navigator" and "back country navigator" and cannot seem to find either one?
    quite possible I got mixed up with goodereader. apologies its confusing with three playbooks and different things on them.

I put nogago up there on the apk to bar last night from the play store along with the guide and tracks

appworld has viewranger and osmand for free along with a billion google maps ports.

goodereader has dozens of android ports been downloading the regions for nogago last night and the offline stuff is excellent.
    05-06-14 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the feedback ... my intent would be to tether my Z10 with a Playbook. I don't mind buying apps if that is the best route. Thing is I don't have a playbook, currently, but I thought I could find a good deal somewhere, ie: on line, etc and stay BB?? but maybe spending a little more on a new model android tablet would be wiser .. which has been suggested on this thread ... decisions, decisions ...
    05-17-14 04:08 PM
    What Big Box Store still has PlayBooks?

There are some threads on how to do this with a PlayBook - Magellan Compass Maps is one that allows you to cache your route. But once in the wild you are limited to what you downloaded...... But you'll also find many threads about issues with the PlayBook's GPS not being the "best" - kills the battery, get stuck and require a reboot, takes a long time to lock-in when you first start the GPS (no a-GPS). Go search for PlayBook and GPS and then deiced for yourself how important it is that it work. Might be for $100 you can find something more dependable....

Buy a cheap cigarette lighter installed inverter (10 bucks for 75 watt) and use a magnetic break away charger to keep unit charged up.
    05-20-14 10:32 AM
    Playbook Is not the ideal tool for your situation. Playbook is an excellent tablet and I still use mine everyday but truth be told, the GPS is not good. It has a lot of trouble finding and maintaining satellite connections.

Posted via CB10
    Mine works good enough. Maintaining a good visual of the sky is really important.
    05-20-14 10:34 AM
    I use Maverick on my Z10 and it works incredibly well, maybe you could try side loading it on your playbook

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 03:00 AM
    I'm trying ViewRanger on my Z10 and Playbook, I've seen it in the Amazon Store and it works well on my Z10. Today I installed it to my PlayBook from BB World. Can't say much about it on the PlayBook for the moment.
    06-03-14 02:49 PM