First of all let me say I'm thrilled with my new 64gb PlayBook. However I've picked up on the vibe that this platform is heading the same way as the dodo. On a variety of non blackberry forums I get greeted with " you bought a WHAT!...." followed by a lecture on the merits of Android and IOS. I must say though that bangs per buck, the PB is superb. It's my first toe in the tablet pool, and as a standalone piece of kit I think it's great. Are we an endangered species or can I hold my head up high amongst the Android boys?
    09-14-12 03:10 PM
    Yeah. Be proud , you didnt follow the hype, you bought what you wanted to buy , not what what they told you to buy,
    Good luck with your device, i dont regret buying mine .
    bungaboy, rrrebo and malcymalc like this.
    09-14-12 03:22 PM
    As long as it makes you happy and does what you need it to do, who gives a flip what anyone else thinks. I'm a Playbook in a family of iPads. We've agreed to disagree. Love my pb and my 9930. That's all that matters.
    Hgouck, bungaboy, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
    09-14-12 03:43 PM
    Hold your head up high. I bought my PlayBook long after I had an iPad, and in preference to the hot Android tablet at the time, the Nexus 7. It doesn't do everything, but it does some things exceptionally well, and if those things are what you need, it will serve you very well. The build quality is excellent, and (unlike most Android tablets) you get operating system upgrades.
    malcymalc and bungaboy like this.
    09-14-12 03:43 PM
    You made a wise choice if you are happy with your device. There is a new 4G playbook available in Canada now and will be coming to other areas soon. Also the playbook you purchased will be getting an upgrade that will blow your mind in a couple months.
    In short, no RIM is not going the way of the dodo. They are restructuring there management team and re vamping there OS for both there phones and the playbook.
    09-14-12 03:47 PM
    Meh. I ignore any negative comments around me getting a PlayBook. I bought a device that works for me. What else matters?
    09-14-12 03:48 PM
    Of the PB is amazing in itself! Another pb purchase coming up soon I can feel it lol!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-14-12 04:02 PM
    Welcome to "our" world

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-14-12 04:05 PM
    First of all let me say I'm thrilled with my new 64gb PlayBook. However I've picked up on the vibe that this platform is heading the same way as the dodo. On a variety of non blackberry forums I get greeted with " you bought a WHAT!...." followed by a lecture on the merits of Android and IOS. I must say though that bangs per buck, the PB is superb. It's my first toe in the tablet pool, and as a standalone piece of kit I think it's great. Are we an endangered species or can I hold my head up high amongst the Android boys?
    I'll pose the descenting position. The PB will do some things just average, and a few above. However it is substandard in many. So it depends on what your uses are, for me, I am grossly disappointed.

The hardware was superb at launch, and still is decent, but there are significant flaws with some subsystems, diversity/quantity/quality of apps, and the biggest problem being RIM's mis-abilities or ineptness, and now poor finances.

If you have a BB phone, you can remotely view its messaging apps from the PB, which is a good function. The browser is also good rendering HTML5, but otherwise feature poor.

Your wait to a better system maybe shorter than others here, as we await BB10 in 2013.

Good Luck.
    malcymalc and richardat like this.
    09-14-12 04:20 PM
    Whatever works for you...I bought my 64g in January (299$) and have loved it since the first day! At the time, it was the only tablet that DID WHAT I NEEDED and that I could afford. Since I bought the Blackberry mini keyboard 3 months ago, I do almost all my work on this - and I didn't until recently have a Blackberry phone to bridge to. Recently bought an unlocked Bold 9780 to fill the wifi gaps when I am on the road....

Just want to add 2 things that might help a new user. Buy the rapid charger, you won't regret it. It is significantly faster and saves wear and tear on your microUSB port. Blackberry had to replace my first unit because the USB port stopped working...

If you do a lot of emailing/document work on this unit/ buy the Blackberry mini keyboard. I debated about buying it, as reviews were mixed, and it does make the whole 'package' larger to carry around (but still smaller than an iPad, says she, ducking rotten tomatoes...) but my typing speed is faster than at my desktop. You do have to GET USED TO IT, though - it seems really small and pokey at first. Now, my fingers love it!

The lack of apps thing never bothered me, a lot of the ones available for Apple are pretty lame. Also, lately, have been doing some HD videos for work with the Playbook and they are great. I use an iPhone holder to hold the Playbook to a tripod! Works like a charm! Now, if they can only get a native app for editing video on the next update, I would be so happy.....

Go ahead, enjoy your Playbook! If I could find a cheap one now, I'd buy it for my kids so we could video chat when they go on trips. ( almost all Tim Hortons in Canada now have wifi!
    09-14-12 04:20 PM
    I've got 2..... all my kids want one to replace their ipads.... so i need 3 more i guess!!..... so be proud!!
    bungaboy, malcymalc and hpjrt like this.
    09-14-12 04:21 PM
    You are the 1%
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-14-12 04:36 PM
    If the Playbook does what you need it to do and you are happy with how it does those things; then that is all you need to care about.

Happy first tablet!
    bungaboy, malcymalc and richardat like this.
    09-14-12 05:22 PM
    If you can live with a lack of apps, the PlayBook is a solid (in more ways that one) tablet IMO.
    09-14-12 05:34 PM
    Don’t be ashamed of having a playbook. I own two and my wife and I video chat and not having to not pay for an extra data plan is nice. In fact, I’m fixing to by six for my field personnel at work. My company just implemented a new field ticket processing system and my personnel will be able to use the playbooks with their BB phones and bridge in remote locations to process field tickets. Bridge and Playbook is really cost effective. What I save on a yearly data plan (that the other tablets require), I can pay for a playbook.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-14-12 05:41 PM
    If it works for you then that's all you can ask.

I'm not a big app user, in fact despite having a pb since UK release I've only just installed my first game (who can resist bards tale??). Other than that the only real apps I use are the browser, music player, video player and a vnc client. Lucky for me that those are things the pb does just fine

On the plus side, getting on board now you won't have such a wait for updates, roll on BB10
    bungaboy and malcymalc like this.
    09-14-12 05:43 PM
    My two playbooks are awesome and now with my family in another town having one also, we can all video chat very nicely!

Playbook is still an amazing bargain! I use it almost daily for many things, and also professionally and for large-screen entertainment with that kick-arse HDMI out and Bridge feature allowing remote control!!!

And no expensive proprietary dongles and adapters to get ripped off with!

If it does what you need it to do now, don't let anyone tell you the Playbook is a bad choice. Remember it is due for a BB10 upgrade in a few months! Woohoo!

Let's face it... The tablet market is growing at an alarming pace. No doubt in another 2-3 years you will have even better, cheaper tablets.

I think you will find the Playbook does well what 99% of people tend to do with tablets. And it is totally under-valued!

Unless there is some must-have app or feature you need, I assume you have done your research and determined that Playbook would be just fine.

Join the 1%, but do what the 99% of tablet users do just fine on the Playbook (but pay way too much for on some other tablets):

- surf web
    - email
    - angry birds
    - racing games
    - youtube videos
    - podcast/RSS subscriptions
    - music sites/streaming radio
    - read ebooks, magazines
    - facebook/twitter
    - look up imdb while watching tv
    - take videos/photos
    - upload photos
    - read a PDF

Yes we are missing a few big apps, but there are ways around it and for most of what we do, the Playbook is just fine!!! Really!!!

Your iOS and Android friends will never know unless they use one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-14-12 06:21 PM
    Playing the "mine is better than yours" game is foolish. A diversity of choices is what makes it all work. There is no perfect tech device, there is only whats right for you. How many brands and models of cars are there?

For me its about how serious the OS is at getting done what I want to do. And one of those is to secure my data and personal info including my contacts.

We were already BB users so the PlayBook just made sense with the bridge feature and the very mature underlying OS even though the current User Interface and system apps are minimal what I see in BB10 makes the wait worth while.

I'm a security guy so reading the PlayBook security doc sealed the deal for us. Download the pdf at:

BlackBerry PlayBook Security - Manuals and Guides
    malcerie and bungaboy like this.
    09-14-12 08:38 PM
    I've said once and ill say it again: all the apps that I have ever needed are on the app world and I have more than 30, I use my PlayBook ever single day, bought it at full price more than a year ago and I haven't regret it one day, BlackBerry Bridge is just fantastic and flash on this tablet is superb!!
    TheScionicMan and bungaboy like this.
    09-14-12 09:15 PM
    Just ask the android and ios folks if they can suggest a good tablet that allows you to bridge through your phones data plan for free Internet access on the go. Let em look around and get back to you on that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-14-12 09:29 PM
    The OP should ask why do the Android.. IOS... users say what they do... Have they actually every used a Playbook for any length of time??? in most cases no.... so what is their motive for giving you a hard time..

I own an Ipad and Android tablets as well as 3 Playbooks.... Had my Ipad for abour 8 months before the Playbook came out... At first it was fun but honestly after about 3 months I lost interest in it... Stopped using it....No particular reason.... just got bored....

Same deal with the Androd.... used it less that a month and honestly did not like it....mostly because of the quality of the apps..... Just did not turn my crank...

After getting my first Playbook I finally figured out why the IOS and Android crowds love theirs... The Playbook does everything I want and does it well....

For me the reason I do not knock other Platforms is I have used them... for me they did not meeting my needs.... but obviously it does for other users....

Bottom line fo rme... if you have not used the competitors devices and have a need to knock it..... just makes you look silly not matter what platform you are on... including Blackberry
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 09-14-12 at 09:46 PM.
    bungaboy and howarmat like this.
    09-14-12 09:44 PM
    I'll give you my PlayBook when you pry it from my COLD DEAD HANDS!
    esk369 and malcymalc like this.
    09-14-12 11:45 PM
    I'm with those who say if it works for you, why worry about it?

Yes...I think it is a dead-end product, because I'm not optimistic about RIM, but if future development is not something you are concerned with, and it does what you need it to, then you've got no worries!

It is a great bargain, in terms of hardware....I was close to pulling the trigger this weekend, now that we can get them for 99$ in Canada, but I really need a bigger screen. Still, if not worried about the future, and if it can fulfill your needs, it's an excellent deal!
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-15-12 01:15 AM
    Do not worry. Let ios and android users go on each other. In the mean time "little" berry is coming back with vengeance....
    bungaboy and hpjrt like this.
    09-15-12 02:50 AM
    Thanks for all the reassurance. I was under the impression that BB10 would sidestep the PB. What might I expect from this os that will improve things??
    09-15-12 02:59 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD