Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree26Likes
  • 6 Post By jordandub
  • 5 Post By PatrickMJS
  • 2 Post By Sriman
  • 8 Post By dave_h_946
  • 1 Post By DuexNoir
  • 1 Post By scalemaster34
  • 1 Post By Cracklen
  • 1 Post By smartie88
  • 1 Post By dave_h_946
  1. jordandub's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default PlayBook in at number 3!

    The 10 Best tablets - Features - Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

    Love this, from the Independent too

    "This was one of the first 7in tablets to go on sale and it's exceptionally well-designed with a cool, inviting operating system. The number of apps is small, but this tablet will also work with BlackBerry's new OS phone, out next January. Astonishingly good value."
    (9000 > 9800 > 9360 > 9900 > Z10 + PlayBook + shares)
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
  2. dave_h_946's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    And given its price, it's Number 1!!!
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
  3. mdmullis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    It's always been #1 with the BB legion for all the reasons that other PDA's fall short on.....
    Michael ATL
  4. PatrickMJS's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,650 Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    As much as I'm a true fan of the PB, I looked at the article in the Independent newspaper. It appears to me that it is just a list, not a "Top 10" list.

    The opening paragraph states that "competition in the tablet market is fiercer than ever, as these devices prove."

    My first clue it wasn't a top 10 list was when I saw the Sony tablet listed first. Plus, the fullsize iPad is in the 7th spot and the text says it is "the best full-size tablet available."

    But still, the positive remarks plus the prominent placement on the list are gratifying.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
  5. Sriman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Apps and OS is what made it fail at launch... If only RIM had launched it with OS 2.0, the situation would have been a lot different. Hope things will improve with BB 10 and RIM will launch a better PB 2 next year.
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
    richardat and VolvoBear_ry like this.
  6. dave_h_946's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sriman View Post
    Apps and OS is what made it fail at launch... If only RIM had launched it with OS 2.0, the situation would have been a lot different. Hope things will improve with BB 10 and RIM will launch a better PB 2 next year.
    I believe there were multiple factors that PB did not sell, some were more important than others but at the end of the day it was their combination.
    On top of my head:
    • Incomplete OS
    • Price tag
    • 10'' tablets were the trend
    • Lack of apps
    • Bad marketing (or absence of it)
    • Lack of business orientation (is it targeting business people or the every day consumer?)


    Some of them still apply.
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
  7. shupor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    579 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by LongLeggs View Post
    Os 2 would garner the same result. 10 probably a different story and price.

    Jess
    +1
  8. DuexNoir's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    474 Posts
    #8  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Slightly off topic, given the price of PB nowadays, if RIM decides to launch PB 2 version, they will have to keep the price within it's present low range. Releasing a new PB with a price tag on par Apple or others may not do very well, since it's in the mindset of consumers that PB is cheaper. Plus, given the economy, if you can make it great and cheaper will probably be the way to go.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    VolvoBear_ry likes this.
  9. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,835 Posts
    #9  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave_h_946 View Post
    I believe there were multiple factors that PB did not sell, some were more important than others but at the end of the day it was their combination.
    On top of my head:
    • Incomplete OS
    • Price tag
    • 10'' tablets were the trend
    • Lack of apps
    • Bad marketing (or absence of it)
    • Lack of business orientation (is it targeting business people or the every day consumer?)


    Some of them still apply.

    Problem is it isn't a good fit for either. Consumers need content, and business need tools/applications for their industriy - Playbook doesn't do either very well.

    As for price... I've seen the 32GB for $130 and the 64 for $189 (office depot online), it is a really good price for the hardware and the upcoming OS upgrade might be a big improvement.... But this Christmas season you are going to see a flood of Android Tablets in the $50 range that while not nearly as powerful, and not suited for most business they will do most of the things that consumers want. Download a working version of the Kindle App for eReading, browse the internet, check email and have direct access to a number of games. Plus they will have expandable SD Memory Slots. And you can get two or three for the price on a clearance PlayBook.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
  10. Cracklen's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    371 Posts
    #10  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    "...they will do most of the things that consumers want.."

    Ahhh majority of consumers don't know what they really want ... they just follow marketing, trends, and fads !

    Consumers of the RIM Playbook are the exception, and seemingly the 'minority'

    imho


    Nite !
    "G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
    Bobert_123 likes this.
  11. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    5,283 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,284 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #11  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave_h_946 View Post
    I believe there were multiple factors that PB did not sell, some were more important than others but at the end of the day it was their combination.
    On top of my head:
    • Incomplete OS
    • Price tag
    • 10'' tablets were the trend
    • Lack of apps
    • Bad marketing (or absence of it)
    • Lack of business orientation (is it targeting business people or the every day consumer?)


    Some of them still apply.
    The price was the worst one. The futile attempt to rush the Playbook to market ahead of the iPad 2's launch was a close second, as that was the decision that saw it released with incomplete software. And even that didn't work (the launch wound up being delayed until a month AFTER the iPad 2's and came off looking desperate).

    Had they held off until, say, June and priced it $150 less for each model they would have still made a profit and not made themselves a corporate laughing-stock.
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
  12. GV2012's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    322 Posts
    #12  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Problem is it isn't a good fit for either. Consumers need content, and business need tools/applications for their industriy - Playbook doesn't do either very well.

    As for price... I've seen the 32GB for $130 and the 64 for $189 (office depot online), it is a really good price for the hardware and the upcoming OS upgrade might be a big improvement.... But this Christmas season you are going to see a flood of Android Tablets in the $50 range that while not nearly as powerful, and not suited for most business they will do most of the things that consumers want. Download a working version of the Kindle App for eReading, browse the internet, check email and have direct access to a number of games. Plus they will have expandable SD Memory Slots. And you can get two or three for the price on a clearance PlayBook.
    To be totally honest with you, and Im no big spender by any means, but when most items of the same nature are $150-300-500+ range and then there is this $50 model (which I doubt anything of ANY quality would be priced there yet) I would prob just walk right by thinking its not a real tablet or it wont be able to do most things you would want. Generally you get what you pay for.. unless you're buying an IPAD Mini, then your not getting what you paid for. Your getting about $150 worth of fruit symbol
  13. smartie88's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by GV2012 View Post
    unless you're buying an IPAD Mini, then your not getting what you paid for. Your getting about $150 worth of fruit symbol
    here we are again.
    richardat likes this.
  14. dave_h_946's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: PlayBook in at number 3!

    Quote Originally Posted by GV2012 View Post
    Your getting about $150 worth of fruit symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by smartie88 View Post
    here we are again.
    I am wondering which of the two "fruit symbols" (s)he is talking about
    Thanked by:
    VolvoBear_ry (11-10-2012) 
    VolvoBear_ry likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. More playbook arrived at FS in Toronto
    By 51smoker in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 04:24 AM
  2. Playbook $199 at Newegg...in stock
    By Malachi.2.15 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM
  3. playbook $198 at wal-mart USA...in stock
    By Malachi.2.15 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 01:00 AM
  4. playbook $198 at wal-mart...in stock
    By Malachi.2.15 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
  5. Playbook In My Hands At Staples!
    By lawguyman in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions