I've been on the fence with a PlayBook since it was announced because I love my BB phone but haven't been able to convince myself to buy one as just a toy so I was wondering how useful the PB is for taking notes (I'm a college student). I've never been a huge fan of lugging around my laptop to each class but I want to give up pen and paper. Is there a way to take notes (better than Memo Pad on my Curve) that can easily be transferred to a computer and is it easy to type quickly (I have to keep up with the lecture)? Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Mr.Softberry likes this.
    11-17-11 07:43 PM
    Groovynotes
    11-17-11 07:53 PM
    Does groovy notes do handwriting recognition? Handwriting to text conversion?
    The Newton did lol

Here's an interesting stylus, though I haven't heard how well it works on playbook, there may be better.

Check Out This Awesome New Kickstarter-Funded iPad Stylus | Cult of Mac

Anyway - it takes great notes with the voice recorder - you can sleep through class, web surf with your 3G bridged phone...
    just buy it if you have a phone you will love it - Get it on Black Friday. $200 for 64g?
    11-17-11 08:00 PM
    I don't need to handwrite the notes if the touch keyboard is easy enough to type on.

11-17-11 08:03 PM
    It is also pretty cheap to pick up a bluetooth keyboard. To type with.

11-17-11 08:12 PM
    I've used Docs2Go + box.net with good success.

Another favorite is Evernote - put your notes into it, tag them, powerful and customizable searches that can be saved, notes are up on the cloud and retrievable from just about anywhere. Nice.
    11-17-11 08:15 PM
    Groovynotes
    That looks like a really cool app. It doesn't seem much better than Evernote though, which is free.

OP, It took me a few weeks to learn how to use the PayBook's keyboard (shift and alt keys are opposite than a BB). For the past couple weeks I've been using it for taking notes in class and at work. Sometimes the lack of AutoText frustrates me, but usually ignore punctuation and such for notes. You can spellcheck it once on a pc or later on if needed.

I use Evernote because it syncs great in so many places: phone, computer, web, browser extensions. Easy to use and organize.
    11-17-11 08:19 PM
    I don't need to handwrite the notes if the touch keyboard is easy enough to type on.
    Some would say that it's not easy enough - cursor placement, kbd layout awkward for symbols, lack of autocorrect if that is important to you.

Bluetooth keyboard if you are going to do a lot of notetaking....
    11-17-11 08:20 PM

I don't know of any tablet, including the iPad, that you can touch type easily on unless you have really small hands. And the Playbook has a 7" screen which is worse. Or do you mean buying an external keyboard?

I'm going to state what I've found from personal experience: it is very difficult to take notes on tablets. It would seem that this is the obvious function for a tablet, but the nature of the touch screen means that you cannot rest your hand on the screen while you write which is not at all like a notebook (real, not computer). It's very uncomfortable and inconvenient.
    11-17-11 08:21 PM
    If you want to roll the dice and risk your notes in one of the usual playbook crash, than go for it.
    11-17-11 08:54 PM
    If you want to roll the dice and risk your notes in one of the usual playbook crash, than go for it.
    Usual playbook crash? Funny never had one of those in 6 months. I've had app crashes - never lost any data. What are you talking about? Or are you just on a bashing spree?
    11-17-11 08:56 PM
    where did u buy ur PB from, the back alley.... usual crash- really, like how often if thats what u meant.....
    11-17-11 09:17 PM
    Do you think your issues might be related to the fact that you've been toying with OS2 and side-loading android apps?

Were you going to mention that fact to the OP?

Me? Never had a crash. Use it every single day. Goes with me everywhere.
    11-17-11 09:28 PM
    no crashes here either. No idea what you mean.

I use "word to go". Works great. Spell check is helpful. External keyboard would improve the experience but not a deal breaker.

I also use "slideshow to go" to view power point files (as I prepare to lecture....I am the prof )
    11-17-11 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD