I have a not so simple question. Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I will be buying a "tablet" within the next few months. I am in no rush to do so meaning I am on no time line.

I am drawn to the Playbook primarily because I am a BB 9900 user and like BB in general.

My usage will be a mix of small business, primarily (to include PPT presenting and possibly mapping software such as Terrain Navigator etc.) and a certain amount of entertainment/ non business. I'm not a game player but will use the device for some Photo/ video/ music/ social network etc.

I travel a fair amount and see the tablet concept as in my interest because of weight/ size relative to carrying my laptop.

I have been doing some research although not being a "geek" type (no offense to those who are) much of the reviews is very BLAH Blah BLAh; "OS" this that and the other thing.

None of which makes my understanding of these devices clear enough to decide which I want.

So I am absolutely NOT interested in an iPad.

I am looking at:
    Playbook
    Motorola Xoom
    A Sus Tansformer Prime- recommended by the very "geek" type Guy who sold me my BB 9900 at the local Computer/ Information services business that also is AT&T wireless store.

There is an obvious difference price wise in the 3 above mentioned, which is a little less my concern than getting a device that is intuitive, fairly broad spectrum of usage, not fragile and is RELIABLE

SO ultimately (and I understand there is a fidelity to BB products here) what are the groups recommendations unbiased observations?

And if possible; tell me why you think so. Especially interested in user's points of view.

Thanks in advance folks.
    Last edited by Pathfinder1; 03-30-12 at 09:53 AM.
    03-30-12 09:51 AM
    In the next few months there will be some quad core Android 4 tablets being released in the $199 - $299 range. You might want to wait and take a look at some of these.
    03-30-12 09:56 AM
    I bought one of these for my daughter a few weeks back and was impressed with it for the price.
    03-30-12 09:58 AM
    as much as im a blackberry fan and own a playbook, id say wait and dont get a playbook having to sideload apps and hear your friends with other tablets talk about some app that you dont have is not fun, trust me its a nice device but not really worth it in the long run
    03-30-12 09:59 AM
    All I can say is go into a store and get your hands on a few. Take a test drive if you can. Even better, try out any that your friends might have. It's a little difficult to understand the differences on paper.
    kennyliu, Hgouck and ambarmetta like this.
    03-30-12 10:08 AM
    I agree with the previous two posts. I am a tech guy but not a fanboy. I bought my PB in November. I find it's about 80% useful but still falls short in a lot of areas that are important to me. Some of the Androids may suit your purposes better but the BB Bridge definitely has it's advantages under many circumstances.
    03-30-12 10:21 AM
    for the price and QNX is an awesome operating system. Having said that, I'm very disappointed in the Android implementation (sideloading is a poor solution to having apps). You may also be disappointed in the native music and video apps - they are quite rudimentary (ex. can't have more than one playlist).

Also, there are many folks who get very upset if you diss the PB - but if you ignore the flaming posts you will find that it is well worth the $200+

Hopefuly RIM will issue some timely updates
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-30-12 10:28 AM
    If the bridge aspect doesn't appeal to you then I would wait and see what a win8 one will be like. Not sure what the pricing will be though.
    03-30-12 11:51 AM
    I have a not so simple question. Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I will be buying a "tablet" within the next few months. I am in no rush to do so meaning I am on no time line.

I am drawn to the Playbook primarily because I am a BB 9900 user and like BB in general.

My usage will be a mix of small business, primarily (to include PPT presenting and possibly mapping software such as Terrain Navigator etc.) and a certain amount of entertainment/ non business. I'm not a game player but will use the device for some Photo/ video/ music/ social network etc.

I travel a fair amount and see the tablet concept as in my interest because of weight/ size relative to carrying my laptop.

I have been doing some research although not being a "geek" type (no offense to those who are) much of the reviews is very BLAH Blah BLAh; "OS" this that and the other thing.

None of which makes my understanding of these devices clear enough to decide which I want.

So I am absolutely NOT interested in an iPad.

I am looking at:
    Playbook
    Motorola Xoom
    A Sus Tansformer Prime- recommended by the very "geek" type Guy who sold me my BB 9900 at the local Computer/ Information services business that also is AT&T wireless store.

There is an obvious difference price wise in the 3 above mentioned, which is a little less my concern than getting a device that is intuitive, fairly broad spectrum of usage, not fragile and is RELIABLE

SO ultimately (and I understand there is a fidelity to BB products here) what are the groups recommendations unbiased observations?

And if possible; tell me why you think so. Especially interested in user's points of view.

Thanks in advance folks.
    I wouldn't purchase the PB. RIM is in very bad financial shape and the CEO is considering a sale of the company. You should go to a more stable platform. Read today's WSJ to get perspective/outlook on RIM. I would be cautious if I were in your shoes.
    03-30-12 11:56 AM
    I wouldn't purchase the PB. RIM is in very bad financial shape and the CEO is considering a sale of the company. You should go to a more stable platform. Read today's WSJ to get perspective/outlook on RIM. I would be cautious if I were in your shoes.
    Lordy. I went and took a look at that article right after I read this post. "BlackBerry Maker in Turmoil." Eesh.
    03-30-12 12:18 PM
    Lordy. I went and took a look at that article right after I read this post. "BlackBerry Maker in Turmoil." Eesh.
    that's why I cautioned the poster to buy a tablet from a platform that is in its final days.
    03-30-12 12:23 PM
    As an owner of android tablet, PB and windows 7 and windows 8 tablets I can say they all have their good and bad points. But I almost always grab my PB when you get off to work. The bridging to my torch 9860 has saved the day for me on more than one occasion. So like most things in this world I don't believe there is one tablet os that fulfills all needs. I enjoy all these systems and I'm waiting to see what the future holds for RIM. Windows 8 is really very good although the battery life is a major shortcoming. But that will likely change I have the beta version on my Asus ep121 slate. Very fast but only 1-2 hours of run time.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-30-12 03:09 PM
    Get a PlayBook. Pair it up with your 9900 and you'll have internet access wherever your cell provider covers. Your phone or PlayBook isn't just going to stop working over night due to what RIM decides is best for their business model. If that were the case then all stores or venders should put a sales halt on all blackberry devices. lol That is not going to happen!
    03-30-12 03:19 PM
    IMbiasedO, Get a Playbook!

IMunbiasedO, You have a 9900 and enjoy it, get a Playbook!
    03-30-12 04:00 PM
    I really didn't want to get dragged into this conversation, but WHAT!?!

What are you basing this on? A headline?

Thorsten simply didn't deny the remote possibility of a sale. He said its possible but not at all what they are focusing on. He is focused on turning them around.

Increasing cash flow by 200 mill and increasing cash (and equivalents) by a further 600 mill will certainly ensure they can operate for the foreseeable future.

Jiminy
    kbz1960, ambarmetta and calles like this.
    03-30-12 04:03 PM
    I have to say I do not agree at all with most of the comments in this thread. I am at a training course at a resort this week. The wifi network has been down since the day after we got here. Everyone is is up in arms, except me. I am sitting here carrying on as if I was normal with my Playbook and BB, haven't missed a beat. There are a lot of jealous people around me at the moment.

I love my BlackBerry, I love my Playbook. They are the perfect combination.
    kbz1960, ambarmetta and calles like this.
    03-30-12 04:32 PM
    I have to say I do not agree at all with most of the comments in this thread. I am at a training course at a resort this week. The wifi network has been down since the day after we got here. Everyone is is up in arms, except me. I am sitting here carrying on as if I was normal with my Playbook and BB, haven't missed a beat. There are a lot of jealous people around me at the moment.

I love my BlackBerry, I love my Playbook. They are the perfect combination.
    While I know you can also do this with about everything else with work arounds the reason I wanted a playbook was for this and I just love the OS when the bugs aren't bugging and they will be fixed and UI.
    03-30-12 04:35 PM
    I would caution against the PB for the lack of Apps and an uncertain future.

Also what is so great about bridge?, cant you do a Wifi hotspot with just about any phone nowadays? I have a cheapo Android ZTE Blade and it has Wifi hotspot functionality.
    03-30-12 04:56 PM
    In the next few months there will be some quad core Android 4 tablets being released in the $199 - $299 range. You might want to wait and take a look at some of these.
    U sure about that? $199-299 for quad core? We all know selling a tablet for $200 means essentially losing money. Even amazon has admitted that and hope to make it up in their Eco system.

If that's the case. Why doesn't Samsung cut the price of their tablets? Going to have to be cost cutting if they want to sell a quad core for $299.

It costs Apple around $350 to build the new iPad. And that's just materials and does not include r and d and advertising.
    03-30-12 06:15 PM
    so I've had the PB from initial release. I now have two of them. I also have the original Galaxy Tab, Lenovo Thinkpad tablet, Samsung 8.9 Tab, HP Slate 500/Win7, FusionGarage Grid 10, ipad2 and new ipad.

I know from my experiences with Win XP tablets in 2004 - Toshiba, Fujitsu and NEC, that tablets have never been a laptop replacement for me. Its a companion to my laptop and sometimes, depending on the client work/travel, I will only travel with a tablet - because I don't have a heavy data entry or document creation needs for that trip. I've had the new BB keyboard case that came out on the 23rd and find it pretty useless and the case is bulky and heavy with the PB in it. I'm getting rid of the kb case unit.

Other than the PB's great UI, bridge functionality for security of contact/email/calander data and the size/portability, I find it lacking as business professional tablet. The Galaxy 8.9 is very thin and comfortable and still very portable and apps are OK, but its Android. The ipad continues to perform best in for my business consulting work requirements. I'm getting the keyboard/case for the new ipad and I think it'll then work well as a laptop repalcement, not just a companion device. You said you're not inhterested in the ipad so that's you choice.

I love the PB. I'm unloading the second PB, 32G, and new OEM keyboard/case...or I might add it to my BB museum with all the other collectables. I would not go for the PB at this point.
    03-30-12 07:46 PM
    Hurry and buy a PlayBook. Os2.0 operating system is amazing. I like the blackberry app world. All the apps up will need. Hdmi port. Dual core processor!
    03-30-12 09:11 PM
    Android apps often look like crap on 10" tablets because they're designed for 4" phones, and Google doesn't want to differentiate between tablet and phone apps. So far that hasn't played out for them very well. I'd say 7" is where it's at right now for Android apps, no larger.

The Transformer Prime is a great piece of hardware paired with an OS that just doesn't suit it. The biggest reason not to get it is that when Windows 8 comes out, that version will be soooo much better.

So at the moment, given the price, get the PlayBook, use it for a year and then see what's available when Windows 8 is out. Maybe you'll decide to hold on to the PB for another year before getting something else.
    03-31-12 04:34 PM
    U sure about that? $199-299 for quad core? We all know selling a tablet for $200 means essentially losing money. Even amazon has admitted that and hope to make it up in their Eco system.

If that's the case. Why doesn't Samsung cut the price of their tablets? Going to have to be cost cutting if they want to sell a quad core for $299.

It costs Apple around $350 to build the new iPad. And that's just materials and does not include r and d and advertising.
    Costs come down all the time. $300 for a quad core might not be feasible now, but in a year it's not out of the question.
    03-31-12 04:53 PM
    I would caution against the PB for the lack of Apps and an uncertain future.

Also what is so great about bridge?, cant you do a Wifi hotspot with just about any phone nowadays? I have a cheapo Android ZTE Blade and it has Wifi hotspot functionality.
    Most intelligent folks throw caution to the wind, juanfuego. That said, yes, one can hotspot and pay dearly for the privilege. My esteemed collegue, BBPlaybookJS, is bridging for free.

P.S. Is it just me, or are there a gazillion folks in this world who have no clue what BlackBerry Bridge is?
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    03-31-12 06:20 PM
    that's why I cautioned the poster to buy a tablet from a platform that is in its final days.
    That was a troll post. RIM will be around for a long time and the PlayBook is a long term product that is getting a hardware refresh in a month or so.

Those media outlets and bloggers are irresponsible and bordering on criminal in the negative reporting on RIM. RIM is neither going away nor abandoning the consumer market. I would buy another PlayBook today if I needed the additional device. I use my current one for. Business including accessing my corporate network via Citrix app.
    calles likes this.
    03-31-12 06:27 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD