11-18-11 05:57 PM
    so the fire has BT then
    11-18-11 06:07 PM
    Wouldn't that be annoying? That's what I want the most, and not even OS 2.0 beta has it!
    11-18-11 06:09 PM
    Wouldn't that be annoying? That's what I want the most, and not even OS 2.0 beta has it!
    What do you want the most?
    11-18-11 11:32 PM
    BT: Bluetooth audio
    11-19-11 07:59 AM
    BT: Bluetooth audio
    I want the FM Transmitter in the PlayBook to be enabled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 08:12 AM
    I want the FM Transmitter in the PlayBook to be enabled.

Does it have one?

11-19-11 08:50 AM
    Of course they aren't even in the same league. And no the fire isn't the better one unless you don't care about missing lacking hardware and are tied to amazon.
    11-19-11 09:17 AM
    Just because the two devices look the same and were made in the same factory does not mean that they are the same.

The PlayBook is a true touchscreen pad whilst the Kindle Fire is designed to be a vehicle to sell Amazon services.

From a hardware standpoint the K-Fire has a slower processor and less memory. It also lacks the Playbook's cameras

As the article stated, these two devices are very different inside.
    11-19-11 09:25 AM
    I can't believe I still see articles calling it an ipad killer. Really a suped up ereader tablet wanna be is more of an ipad killer then anything else that has come out since?????? Has to be the dumbest thing I ever read.
    OniBerry likes this.
    11-19-11 09:42 AM
    I can't believe I still see articles calling it an ipad killer. Really a suped up ereader tablet wanna be is more of an ipad killer then anything else that has come out since?????? Has to be the dumbest thing I ever read.
    It may outsell the iPad numerically and that will make Amazon very happy because the real money for Amazon comes with their $79/year subscription service which will surely gain add-ons over time.

However it does not have the screen, memory or processing power of the iPad. It is not now and never will be an iPad killer.

The only thing that will kill the iPad will be another iPad.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-11 09:46 AM
    why is that dumb? it has a fantastic ecosystem. pretty good hardware to support that ecosystem. Is easily hackable too. I am not shocked at all that it will sell at the number 2 spot behind apple.
    11-19-11 09:47 AM
    why is that dumb? it has a fantastic ecosystem. pretty good hardware to support that ecosystem. Is easily hackable too. I am not shocked at all that it will sell at the number 2 spot behind apple.
    True enough but really other then the "ecosystem" the fire lacks. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes #2 either. As they say most people don't care what it lacks if it does what they want.
    11-19-11 10:24 AM
    ...As they say most people don't care what it lacks if it does what they want.
    True enough. ****, that's they way I feel about my Playbook!
    11-19-11 10:38 AM
    I have some friends who are getting the Kindle Fire.

From the article linked to here, it's obvious that the electronics aren't exactly the same. But the differences in dimensions are small fractions of an inch. Are they really different in size or are the differences based on how each was measured? Which would make Playbook cases possibly usable for theb Kindle Fire.

Thanks.
    Infiniti14 likes this.
    11-19-11 11:44 AM
    I choose playbook over kindle fire.
    HighlandBerry likes this.
    11-19-11 12:08 PM
    It occurs to me that I want the Fire, the Galaxy Tab ans the PB to succeed, if for no other reason than to prove that Job's statment that the 7" tablet market was dead on arrival was wrong.
    11-19-11 12:09 PM
    Got a chance tonight to check out my co-worker's new Kindle Fire. Its similar in appearance to the PB as far as color and overall size but the surrounding band edge is glossy black and styled differently. His Fire had a screen protector which may have made the display to appear duller and less clear than the PB. The font size was smaller, less sharp and less bright. Despite the reports of wifi issues as a result of the recent update 1.0.8.4985 my PB was able to open websites quickly on company wifi. In browser performance the Fire was very slow to open simple websites like yahoo/google.com and I gave up waiting for crackberry.com to open. My co-worker is happy with his Fire and he is a big Kindle reader and fan of publications so he is happy. When the Fire was introduced at 199 I was tempted to add it to my tech inventory but the missing features, lower end processor and android os made the decision easy to just buy another PB especially at 199 to lower my average cost as an early adopter and start my personal "members only" video chatting. Feb "expected" OS2 upgrade can't come soon enough to calm down the critics. The Fire is no challenger to the PB OS except for a deeper ecosystem that some enthusiasts want.
    HighlandBerry likes this.
    11-25-11 10:50 PM
    That's why they call it beta. Not even that - its a developers release that users should not even have.

I hear the ghost of shootsscores - you're probably right since content is king. Tech specs other than tablet size mean nothing to the general consumer.

"easily hackable" and "fantastic ecosystem" seem at odds with each other - oxymoron?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-25-11 at 11:05 PM.
    11-25-11 10:57 PM
    I have some friends who are getting the Kindle Fire.

From the article linked to here, it's obvious that the electronics aren't exactly the same. But the differences in dimensions are small fractions of an inch. Are they really different in size or are the differences based on how each was measured? Which would make Playbook cases possibly usable for theb Kindle Fire.

Thanks.
    I compared them side by side - seems like the exact same case but the fire is about .5 inches smaller all around - less bezel though I believe. and not touch sensitive which is what gives playbook its edge for the UI.
    11-25-11 11:06 PM
    I choose playbook over kindle fire.
    already have. Twice.
    11-25-11 11:08 PM
    It occurs to me that I want the Fire, the Galaxy Tab ans the PB to succeed, if for no other reason than to prove that Job's statment that the 7" tablet market was dead on arrival was wrong.
    ..but it *was* DOA... you can't go back and change history.

Something may revive it (and success of the Fire by itself is not that something) but none of the 7" tablets have done anything remarkable (or even decent, honestly).
    11-25-11 11:16 PM
    The Fire is probably the only tablet I haven't tried. But knowing that it runs Android, I don't even want to try it.
    11-26-11 01:19 AM
    A friend of mine bought one and I checked it out for about 20 minutes. Granted, it was only 20 minutes, but I sure don't see what all the buzz is all about. It was laggy, display was not impressive and occasionally unresponsive. Maybe it was a defective unit? Regardless, I won't be buying one.
    11-26-11 01:28 AM
    The Fire is probably the only tablet I haven't tried. But knowing that it runs Android, I don't even want to try it.
    Android is irrelevant to the Fire. The UI is like no other tablet, it could be running anything underneath.
    11-26-11 01:42 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD