I dropped my playbook from the top floor of my apartment last week (yeah, I know) and now I'm in the market for a new tablet.

I EL OH VEE EEE the playbook but Google recently unleashed their 7" Quad Core BEAST for about the same price as a Playbook. I know that the maximum hard drive size is 16GB and that it doesn't have a rear camera but the pros completely out way the cons; it has a better resolution, better browser, more variation in apps, games look beautiful, it weighs less, your videos start off where you left them, and it has gorilla glass; however, it doesn't have what the playbook has and that's an amazing UI, which I'm familiar with; support for BB bridge, which I'm using right now; support for the arrival of bb10, which I'm super duper excited about. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!!!

I rarely comment on threads similar to this one because I thought they were always stupid (yeah, I'm a hypocrite) but this bugger has been bugging me all week and I don't know what to do anymore.

Has anyone else tried the Nexus out for themselves? GIVE ME YOUR TWO CENTS

I hate having to deal with first world problems

Last edited by phoreoneone; 07-12-12 at 05:19 PM.
    07-10-12 01:59 PM
    I have one on order, BUT it will be in addition to my PlayBook which I have no intention of giving up!
    07-10-12 02:07 PM
    In the words of Leo Laporte (paraphrased): buy what meets your needs now, because it won't get any better later.

Don't buy something expecting an update that makes it better later. He was speaking about the new google TV sphere thing, but this can be applied to almost any piece of consumer electronics.
    07-10-12 02:08 PM
    Would you miss hdmi out? How many videos will you store? Music?

Is it even out yet?
    07-10-12 03:16 PM
    I got first hand experience with Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus and I have decided to keep my playbook. there are some things I liked about it amd many I did not. Nexus 7 will not resolve things I did not like about android

1. most apps are for phones not tablets and look like crap. I suspect they will look even worse on Nexus since it has higher resolution than Samsung

2. Taskbar does not go away when watching movies and playing games

3. Overall Android os I find cumbersome. QNX is way more smooth.

I am happy to have PB back.

Keep in mind that quad core cpus give marginal improvement over dual core cpus. Also lack of SD card slot is no,no for me. 16Gb is really not that much

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    07-10-12 03:30 PM
    Nexus 7 doesn't seem too high-end for me comparing to the PB. Its a tablet that wants to be successful at a certain price range, one where it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. I dont think the Android tablet experience is that superior, but that's not what's important. If you like it, go for it. You can always pick up a bb10 phone when one comes out. If there is a time to try a different platform, now is the time.
    07-10-12 03:40 PM
    Would you miss hdmi out? How many videos will you store? Music?

Is it even out yet?
    I didn't store any videos on my PlayBook so I don't plan on doing so for my next tablet
    I only used the hdmi feature on my PlayBook once and that was for a school project
    its not out yet but its available for pre-order.
    I store music on my phone
    07-10-12 04:07 PM
    I didn't store any videos on my PlayBook so I don't plan on doing so for my next tablet

I only used the hdmi feature on my PlayBook once and that was for a school project

its not out yet but its available for pre-order.

I store music on my phone
    Im pretty sure I saw cnet tweet that the nexus 7 is available at Staples now. I dont know if thats for pre-order not.. check it out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    07-10-12 04:30 PM
    Any pics or better yet a video of the fall and damage?? How far did it fall? in a case? I am interested to know how bad it is or how well it held up.
    I live on the 18th floor so it was pretty long drop and I did have an Incipio case but it wasn't for protection but more for style (it's called the "Executive Kickstand Case"). The whole front screen is severed and when I tired to use swipe gestures nothing happened, the hard reset didn't help either, trying to charge it was no good, so I just trashed recycled it.

It landed on top of or on the corner of a small cement "border" (I don't know what its actual term is) surrounding a garden/flower bed. Luckily no one was sitting on it because "killing someone" isn't what I want to put under Skills on my Resume.

PS. Don't watch a movie on a tablet while you're sitting on a balcony.
    07-10-12 04:34 PM
    I got first hand experience with Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus and I have decided to keep my playbook. there are some things I liked about it amd many I did not. Nexus 7 will not resolve things I did not like about android

1. most apps are for phones not tablets and look like crap. I suspect they will look even worse on Nexus since it has higher resolution than Samsung

2. Taskbar does not go away when watching movies and playing games

3. Overall Android os I find cumbersome. QNX is way more smooth.

I am happy to have PB back.

Keep in mind that quad core cpus give marginal improvement over dual core cpus. Also lack of SD card slot is no,no for me. 16Gb is really not that much

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    You've been listening to Apple too much. The large majority of modern Android apps (last ~2 years) scale perfectly to tablet screens. Some are better optimized, that's all. The same thing is going to happen with BB10 apps. Playbook and Phones will use the same apps, not different versions designed for each device.

Apple's idea of designing different apps for Phone and Tablet is somewhat flawed from an efficiency perspective as well as a UI perspective. Sure, you can't jam the whole UI on a smaller screen, but that's where your UI design expertise should come in. With any well designed app, the interface should be recognizable across platforms, but optimized for each.
    07-10-12 04:34 PM
    I can't imagine being limited to 16 GB but in the end, you have to decide for yourself which device better meets your needs.
    07-10-12 04:38 PM
    As others have said it depends on your needs. There are a couple of things I really miss being able to do and want to do on a tablet. There are a few applications that I either can't run on my Playbook (Tunein Radio, Netflix, a migraine diary app I use, plus a few others), or that I'd prefer to just be able to install and update normally rather than sideload (Pulse Newsreader). While these obviously aren't vital apps for everyone, I use them every day. So in my case, I will definitely be trying out the Nexus 7. As you can see, my tablet needs don't really revolve around storage. They do revolve around apps though, and while the Playbook is a fantastic piece of hardware, it always come back to the limitation at this point.
    07-10-12 04:43 PM
    Im pretty sure I saw cnet tweet that the nexus 7 is available at Staples now. I dont know if thats for pre-order not.. check it out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    Yup, it's a pre-order.

Staples says it will be available on/after July 23 but BestBuy says its available on August 10

Staples

BestBuy
    07-10-12 04:47 PM
    Depends on your needs . I bought the playbook in November on discount for what I believed it could do or would do. Then I discovered it couldn't do all that, so I bought a new IPad to do what the playbook can't do. So know I have the best of both worlds.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-10-12 05:02 PM
    Flash is not being supported in Jelly Bean. You should make sure that won't put a damper on your browsing.
    07-10-12 05:08 PM
    That is one h3ll of a drop. I knew there was a reason I don't want highrises in my neighborhood. Glad no one was physically hurt although you were fiscally hurt! I saw someone get clipped by a window air conditioner many years ago. Luckily it clipped her leg although still plenty of damage.
    07-10-12 05:20 PM
    Research first, wait and try one out. Go to the android forums, Nexus7 subforums, especially forum.xda-developers.com, Nexus7 subforum. Read reviews and comments on the Tegra 3's performance from the developers, as well as other issues they've encountered. Remember, quad core does not necessarily mean faster or better performance. That's been borne out in other android tabs, as well as computers. Once you feel informed, make your choice and live with it. Good luck
    07-10-12 06:35 PM
    I plan on getting a Nexus 7 because I want the apps. I use my Playbook everyday and plan on keeping it but I miss several of the apps that I can't get on the playbook. The playbook isn't going to get BB10 for at least 6 months probably so now is the time to try something else. At some point you could either buy another playbook or if money is an issue sell the Nexus to go towards the purchase of a new playbook. Space isn't an issue for me... I have a 16g playbook and don't even use all that now.
    07-10-12 08:14 PM
    I have an Asus TF300 sitting next to my Playbook. IIRC the Tab7 will have mostly the same hardware, and it seems like quite a nice device. But I will have to disagree about the browser. The Playbook has the best mobile browser around. IIRC the Playbook is the only mobile browser to support WebGL. The Playbook will render web pages more accuratly that the Tab7's browser, and frankly The feel of the Playbooks browser is just so much better than my TF300's.

Not saying you won't love your Galaxy Tab though. I quite like my TF300 as a gaming device. Now if only Google could fix that horribly messy UI in Android.

Also, as a fun game. Keep track of how many times you try to close an app by swiping it away or wake up your Galaxy tab by swiping across the screen. I do it daily.
    eternalemb likes this.
    07-10-12 08:29 PM
    Flash is not being supported in Jelly Bean. You should make sure that won't put a damper on your browsing.
    Yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't been in the news more. Will PlayBook be the last of the Flash-enabled tablets?
    07-10-12 08:35 PM

Also, as a fun game. Keep track of how many times you try to close an app by swiping it away or wake up your Galaxy tab by swiping across the screen. I do it daily.
    LOL. I think that just might turn out to be more fun than playing actual games.
    07-10-12 09:11 PM
    Ouch.
    I looked around and I found out that android users will have until August 15th to install flash from the Play Store before it's removed. I also understand that flash on 4.1 devices isn't going to be supported but may be installed (although the chances of it working smoothly are slim).

I hope BB10 will support flash.

Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15
    07-10-12 09:18 PM
    I plan on getting a Nexus 7 because I want the apps. I use my Playbook everyday and plan on keeping it but I miss several of the apps that I can't get on the playbook. The playbook isn't going to get BB10 for at least 6 months probably so now is the time to try something else. At some point you could either buy another playbook or if money is an issue sell the Nexus to go towards the purchase of a new playbook. Space isn't an issue for me... I have a 16g playbook and don't even use all that now.
    That does make sense. The price of the PlayBook isn't going to change so I guess it might be worth it to try something new. Besides if Adobe is stopping the support for Android on Aug 15 then maybe BB10 won't be getting flash as well, if that's the case then I'll stick with the Nexus ... Unless BB10 becomes what I want it to be. I don't know.
    07-10-12 09:28 PM
    I quite like my TF300 as a gaming device.
    Yea. I can't wait to play GTA

Now if only Google could fix that horribly messy UI in Android.
    4.1 is supposed to be pretty solid and smooth. I haven't seen any lag on review videos... So far
    07-10-12 09:32 PM
    I tried a xoom, ipad and kindle fire. nothing beats the UI of the Playbook.

I do wish for a few apps that are missing but my laptop does it well enough to not bother me
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-10-12 09:34 PM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD